Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oops think I’ve accidentally found a springer I actually like !!

Wink Oops think I’ve accidentally found a springer I actually like !!

Well as most know I’ve been around the houses chopping and changing like a mad man for years

I must have clocked up some mileage in 30 years

Meh as those that know me will testify I’m never happy and always wanting to try and scratch more itches

Well I’m about 8 years too late to the party in this instance but finally purchased a Walther LGV

Well a Walther LGV Challenger to be exact now I’ve had many of these new breed Walthers pass through before namely, a brace of terrus’s 3 or 4 century’s, a Maxus/classus Armex special thing and even an LGU but I never actually went the LGV route before well that was until yesterday.

Right place right time and I thought why not.

Well all I can say is oh my this is rather nice indeed so many plus points from the superbly sweet firing cycle to that awesome lever setup (my preference on break barrels) talk about being pleasantly surprised

Ok it’s not in a fancy stock but unless I’m wanting a high days and holidays venom to drool over with the ocd cleaning cloth I pretty much don’t really care about the stock as long as it fits me and is comfortable and practical.

I even really like the trigger, I know it’s been well documented with its flaws but it feels great to me.

I’ve just put x5 AADF 16grain through my Chrono and every shot was 11.85FPE wow talk about consistency I thought my Chrono was broken

That’s probably IMO a tad close to the wind power wise but easily rectified.

I’m buzzing what a superb break barrel can’t wait to take it over the farm at the weekend for a session this has absolutely surprised me how sweet it is to shoot.

Sorry chaps story of my life being late to the party but I’ll get there eventually and its certainly fun trying them all along the way

You luck person I have fancied one for years but very scarce now I have the LGU in 0.22 which is fantastic but my fat fingers have problems loading the pellet under the scope, but once in the breech everything else is just wow. Hope you enjoy it and treasure it in the future. All the best Graham.

I’ve had one for a while now in .177, didn’t realise they were scarce, quietest (with a mod) most accurate springer I have ever owned.
    HW30STL .177, HW45 Blackstar .177, HW77 .177, LGV Challenger .177, BSA Airsporter S Mk1 .22. Original 65 .177, BSA Lightning GRT .177, HW99 .177.

Quote Originally Posted by bozz View Post
    You luck person I have fancied one for years but very scarce now I have the LGU in 0.22 which is fantastic but my fat fingers have problems loading the pellet under the scope, but once in the breech everything else is just wow. Hope you enjoy it and treasure it in the future. All the best Graham.
    Cheers Graham,

Yes I noticed earlier on this week in other threads that the LGV was mentioned a few times as probably one of the last break barrels we will ever see with such highly tuned factory internals etc.

It planted the seed and I certainly had one eye open as like you say they are getting very scarce now.

Right place, right time couldn’t resist it a ‘no brainer’ as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullnose View Post
    I’ve had one for a while now in .177, didn’t realise they were scarce, quietest (with a mod) most accurate springer I have ever owned.
    Nice one

Mine actually came with a little stubby silencer as well which makes it no kidding pcp quiet

Even without the silencer it’s not a noisy rifle especially as it’s .22 but with the little mod on absolutely amazing how quiet a springer can be really surprised me.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah I have a stubby (about 1.75") mod on mine too; very, very, quiet,
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yeah I have a stubby (about 1.75") mod on mine too; very, very, quiet,
    Nice one Jon

When the vendor was showing me the rifle yesterday honestly my first thoughts at the time were, I won’t need the silencer as they seldom work to any great effect on any springer I’ve previously owned.

Hence I was already thinking it will probably be punted on but once he showed me how effective the little silencer is that killed that thought process

Congratulations, Nick, they're lovely.

Apart from the very fist one I tried at an early Boinger Bash (must have been an early production rifle) which was twangy, every single other LGV I have shot has been a pleasure. Smooth, refined and very accurate.

If you were going to have a mild play with the internals, may I suggest the route that Jim enlightened us with......TX Mark 3 spring in conjunction with a slightly opened TP......beautiful!. I've tried Vernal's thus modifie rifle a few times now and it's utterly superb. So, so forgiving, extremely accurate and with the most polite firing cycle imaginable.

Well done again and bloody well keep this one, okay?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

enjoy your new gun

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Congratulations, Nick, they're lovely.

Apart from the very fist one I tried at an early Boinger Bash (must have been an early production rifle) which was twangy, every single other LGV I have shot has been a pleasure. Smooth, refined and very accurate.

If you were going to have a mild play with the internals, may I suggest the route that Jim enlightened us with......TX Mark 3 spring in conjunction with a slightly opened TP......beautiful!. I've tried Vernal's thus modifie rifle a few times now and it's utterly superb. So, so forgiving, extremely accurate and with the most polite firing cycle imaginable.

Well done again and bloody well keep this one, okay?
    Cheers Tone

I’ll certainly note that Jim route thanks for the heads up

You know my garage setup (slightly changed since last time now have more targets and extended range) I’ve just been having a blast with the opens absolutely sweet for lower light garage plinking

This LGV is quickly becoming very addictive, haven’t felt this way about a springer for a very long time.

A nice surprise indeed should have done this years ago

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    enjoy your new gun
    Thanks, I certainly am

Nice wan Nick…. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment it of it, Guid Luck, Graeme 😎

One rifle I do regret selling was my LGV. Superb bits of kit, oddly one of my favourite bits was the noise it made when locking the barrel up.

I'd certainly have another one if one came my way.

Best of luck with it Nick, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by VALE BOY View Post
    Nice wan Nick…. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment it of it, Guid Luck, Graeme 😎
    Cheers G’man, it’s certainly been a long time since I’ve had a springer give me that buzz

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Up View Post
    One rifle I do regret selling was my LGV. Superb bits of kit, oddly one of my favourite bits was the noise it made when locking the barrel up.

I'd certainly have another one if one came my way.

Best of luck with it Nick, enjoy!
    Cheers Deano, wish I had paid more attention to them before, strange how an odd rifle constantly slips through the net until that day arrives when it’s time to finally scratch the itch

I like it that much I’ve even altered my diy cabinet earlier to give it pride of place now that does say something

I'm not the least bit surprised at all this enthusiasm, it starts as a lovely gun out of the box, and Jim's "simple tune " pl⁰us a Stubby mod make it absolutely sublime.