DSOON NV5000

Having been really impressed with the Dsoon Trail Camera and Dsoon solar panel I have been using of late, I thought I would give their night vision goggles a try.

Most of my pest control is in the hours of darkness and I've been a fan of my Pard and Pulsar for some time.

The idea of the night goggles for me, would be to use them to help pinpoint a target from thermal heat signature to my Pard setting on 3 times mag.

I've never been a fan of binoculars as my eyes have never ever got on with the concept of turning two images into one. If you know what I mean.

The Dsoon NV5000 appealed to me, mainly due to the fact, that I would be looking at a 2.5" screen, that converts to 5" 2K HD because of the convex screen

(and after having used it for a while I can see no edge distortion whatsoever).

This is by no means a comparison review, as I've never owned, nor used, night vision binoculars/goggles before, this is just my findings and a few of the facts....

Firstly, the build quality is superb. Rugged, but lightweight even with the batteries installed. It come with a good quality neoprene neck strap witch is very comfortable.

A really nice touch is the quality hard case that comes with it. I've had to buy these in the past to protect my Pard and Pulsar, but this comes with the unit.

It also come with a 32GB card, data transfer cable, really easy to understand user manual and a cleaning cloth for the lenses.

(both of which are internal on this model and makes the whole overall package look much more modern, tactical and aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

My glove size is large so this unit fits my hands perfectly, its ergonomically ideal for me as when I hold it, the large buttons on top are spot on at my fingertips.

These buttons control the on/off, zoom in and out, switch between day and night use, alter the levels of ir and are also used to navigate the menu.

It has a readily available focus wheel under the unit, which again, falls easily to hand to adjust without any fuss and not having to look away from the screen.

The menu function is easy to navigate and I found it very similar to the Pard and much, much easier than a Pulsar menu! I would say if you can use a trail camera menu, then this is almost exactly the same. It takes 2K photos and 1080 videos. It has a x6 magnification and no-glow ir with 7 levels of brightness.

It runs off of 8xAA batteries and the run time is quite impressive with 6 hours of continuous use with the ir on and 20 hours of continuous use during the day. I'm sure this would be less in both modes if the zoom was used a lot. There is no image stabilisation, but, I have not found this to be a problem so far. I think if I was using it in really windy conditions, or, for long periods of time, I would sit it on top of a tripod as it does have the standard tripod screw fitting underneath.

Due to illness and the really bad weather we have had over the last few weeks since I got this, I have not yet been out on my permission, however, I do live on my permission and having used it in a pitch-black rural garden, the night vision turns it into daylight - and that is just on the lowest ir setting. I have used it from my garden across the fields and again, in a pitch-black rural setting, it really does reach out. Far further than any shooting that I will be undertaking. For me, it is going to be the perfect tool after I have spotted using my thermal, to locate with a wide field of view, before shouldering my rifle to use the Pard.

There are some videos on YouTube showing footage taken using this unit. Have a look. I think you will be impressed. Once the weather changes and I can get out on the permission I'll take and post some photos and video footage of my own. Would I recommend this unit? Absolutely. It's almost as much as a game changer for me as my thermal camera. If you, like me, can't get on with binoculars, its ideal for day use. For night vision, it bang-on for the buck! Once again, have a look at some of the YouTube reviews and make your own mind up.

Hope this is if some help.