Thread: Webley Alecto

Webley Alecto

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help.
    I'd like to fit an open red dot sight on my Webley Alecto and not the scope/tube type due to my eyesight.
    As there is only one groove on the pistol top rail and it being so close to the front open sight, I can't get a decent red dot to fit.
    No one seems to know what adaptor I could use and I can't seem to be able to track one down anywhere!
    Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
    Many thanks Kirk
    After all that is said and done - More is said, than done!

A Hawke Vantage will fit straight on there - I've got one on mine.
    They're not cheap but you do get what you pay for with optics.
    Make sure you order the Picatinny version and not the 11mm version.

Hi Bob. Thanks for that. I assume there is no locating bar/s on this then?.
    I was looking at the open/reflex type for quick aqusition targeting. Is this a compromise between the scope style and the reflex?
    Cheers, Kirk

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I milled a few extra slots on mine. But as above, plenty of picatiny / weaver mount red dots have only one "bar"...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I bought a relatively cheapo Amazon red dot that fits on no problem. Front bar locates prfectly and the rear tightening bolt is higher than the rail so no second slot needed.
    The red dot is surprisingly well made and a good solid construction. It was recommended to me so that's why I took a punt on it.
    Hopefully I'll be able to get it zeroed this weekend and see how it performs.

Quote Originally Posted by kiriak View Post
    Hi Bob. Thanks for that. I assume there is no locating bar/s on this then?.
    I was looking at the open/reflex type for quick aqusition targeting. Is this a compromise between the scope style and the reflex?
    Cheers, Kirk
    Nope, like I said - it fits straight on with no modifications.
    The only real difference in the styles is the viewing angle, you have to be looking through both lenses of the the scope style red dot to see the dot whereas the dot is visible from a wider angle on the reflex type. But then if you want accuracy you should always place the dot as close to the middle of the lens as possible, to avoid parallax error. So I guess acquisition could be faster with the reflex type, but since the Alecto is a one shot slow to reload pistol - I'd go with the Hawke and make the most of the available accuracy (which is superb)

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Nope, like I said - it fits straight on with no modifications.
    The only real difference in the styles is the viewing angle, you have to be looking through both lenses of the the scope style red dot to see the dot whereas the dot is visible from a wider angle on the reflex type. But then if you want accuracy you should always place the dot as close to the middle of the lens as possible, to avoid parallax error. So I guess acquisition could be faster with the reflex type, but since the Alecto is a one shot slow to reload pistol - I'd go with the Hawke and make the most of the available accuracy (which is superb)
    Hi Bob,
    I'm not sure what version of the Hawke Vantage red dot you bought or what version of the Alecto you have, but, I just had a Hawke Vantage 1x30 delivered and guess what? Exactly the same problem.
    The front locator bar under the sight cannot drop into the groove because of the front sight on the gun. No different to any other red dot sight I've found with the same problem!
    I've sent the cheapo Amazon job back now as the red dot is blurred no matter where you mount it or whatever setting its on.
    The Hawke dot was nice and sharp but not a lot of good if I can't fit it on the rail!
    I'll now have to send it back at my expense as its not the suppliers fault.

Sorry to hear that.
    You want the Vantage 1x20, it has only one fixing bolt

This is odd, I must have tried a dozen red dots and all only have one locating bar.
    I had one of the early Alectos with no grooves, so I filed one with a rat tail file.
    Last edited by Adam77K; 09-12-2021 at 08:59 PM.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius