Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being indifferent about a rifle

Being indifferent about a rifle

This is a new one on me, as I either love or hate them.

Then I bought a HW100K.

Its got so many things going for it, but surprisingly a similar number of negatives (for me).

The plus side:
    Its accurate, consistent and has the shot count I'm happy with. In itself, with a titanium cylinder, not really too heavy either.

The down sides:
    Possibly one of the worst handling rifles, I've ever owned.
    Stock ergonomics are awful
    Though not too heavy in itself, it feels really front heavy, even with the Ti cylinder.

If I was a club / bench shooter, I'd absolutely love it, but I'm not.
    I shoot for pest control and take 99% of my shots, if not more, from a standing unsupported position.

I'd love to get rid of it, but similarly can't face selling it.

A first world problem really, but a real one for me.
    B.A.S.C. member

I feel very similarly about the HW85/95.

A gun is just a tool to do a job, I feel indifferent about 9 out of 10 of them

it's only the exceptional ones that are the 1 out of 10 'keepers' where they feel, fit & shoot like an extension of your body.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I shoot for pest control and take 99% of my shots, if not more, from a standing unsupported position.
    Fit a front vertical pistol grip. Transforms standing shots.

Then I bought a HW100K.

Its got so many things going for it, but surprisingly a similar number of negatives (for me).

The plus side:
    Its accurate, consistent and has the shot count I'm happy with. In itself, with a titanium cylinder, not really too heavy either.

The down sides:
    Though not too heavy in itself, it feels really front heavy, even with the Ti cylinder.

That sounds identical to my own thoughts and experiences with the 100 Rob

I must have tried near on a dozen of them in all guises from full lengths to carbines even dabbled with a super rare 101 as I still prefer dedicated single shots even tried the Sporter and Thumbhole stocks but just don’t seem to fit right or even gel with them.

Ironically at least 50% of them have also either leaked or needed the reg setting up correctly

I’ve never been a fan of the split block or the barrel band either and usually much prefer a proper floating barrel.

I once had one years ago where the factory silencer wouldn’t unscrew left the threaded cap in situ and a previous owner tried that hard to remove it that it spun the barrel on the grubscrews

I know many that swear by them and I can sort of see why as they do have positive points but it’s one of those odd pcps that on paper look ace but in reality too many boxes are unticked for me personally.

I even tried multiple 110’s but although a totally different rifle same again with some similar aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    That sounds identical to my own thoughts and experiences with the 100 Rob

I must have tried near on a dozen of them in all guises from full lengths to carbines even dabbled with a super rare 101 as I still prefer dedicated single shots even tried the Sporter and Thumbhole stocks but just don’t seem to fit right or even gel with them.

Ironically at least 50% of them have also either leaked or needed the reg setting up correctly

I’ve never been a fan of the split block or the barrel band either and usually much prefer a proper floating barrel.

I once had one years ago where the factory silencer wouldn’t unscrew left the threaded cap in situ and a previous owner tried that hard to remove it that it spun the barrel on the grubscrews

I know many that swear by them and I can sort of see why as they do have positive points but it’s one of those odd pcps that on paper look ace but in reality too many boxes are unticked for me personally.

I even tried multiple 110’s but although a totally different rifle same again with some similar aspects.
    I had a 101 Nick and thats one I do regret selling. Similar issues to the 100 but just edged into the "like" bracket with single shot and the huge loading tray.
    Hated the beech TH stock with a passion though. Awful for repeated standing shots and gave me a callous at the base of my thumb after a hard nights ratting.
    If I could have found a 100 sporter stock for it, I'd probably still have that one now.
    B.A.S.C. member

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I find bullpups great for standing shots, perhaps bite the bullet, get shot of the HW100 and replace it with something you have more feel for?
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    A gun is just a tool to do a job, I feel indifferent about 9 out of 10 of them

it's only the exceptional ones that are the 1 out of 10 'keepers' where they feel, fit & shoot like an extension of your body.
    Its a bit more than that and just not very comfortable to shoot. An old shoulder injury doesnt help.
    B.A.S.C. member

Its a bit more than that and just not very comfortable to shoot. An old shoulder injury doesnt help.
    Well its horses for courses.

I have a 20mm torn rota cuff but dont have an issue with the 100.

But then its alloy huma regged and free floating with no barrel bands.

The HW100s mag system is imho the best out there. The single shot adapter works a treat too.

As a general allrounder the 100 is hard to beat.

Mine has an adjustable butt and cheekpeice and with other tweaks, it works for me.

But if any rifle doesnt fit in the first place, you are on a hiding to nothing.....
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I find bullpups great for standing shots, perhaps bite the bullet, get shot of the HW100 and replace it with something you have more feel for?
    Its used for night shooting on rabbits and rats James, so a bit dual purpose.
    I had a widcat, which was superb for standers, but the scope height (around 70mm), meant it was a poor ratter.
    B.A.S.C. member

Smile

Then I bought a HW100K.

The plus side:

The down sides:

Put a wieght inside the stock experiment with sea fishing wieghts first to get the right wieght.
    mk2 rapid.22

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    Put a wieght inside the stock experiment with sea fishing wieghts first to get the right wieght.
    Its more the stock design not the weight
    B.A.S.C. member

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    A gun is just a tool to do a job,
    I would think that 99% of members think far more of their guns than just a tool

Much more passion and enthusiasm for their guns as things to own than they do for their spanners

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I would think that 99% of members think far more of their guns than just a tool

Much more passion and enthusiasm for their guns as things to own than they do for their spanners
    Totally agree.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I have to say they are a tool for me too. Don't mind the odd knock or scratch, I only use the range for zero checking and calibration. Most of the time they are out and about with me. Doesn't mean I don't look after them, just not handling them like a newborn baby....
    We are blessed to be in a time where most pcps are capable of the same sort of accuracy out to 50 yds, some with a little tidy up....There really is no need to spend 2 grand on a rifle....but if that's what you want to spend your hard earned pennies on then good for you......same with cars, brand new range rover still gets you to the same place a 10 yr old fiesta will....
    We should all be happy with our choices...and be happy that others have the option to make different ones...

Bongo