Thread: MTC mamba lite Vs hawke vantage sf

MTC mamba lite Vs hawke vantage sf

MTC mamba lite 3-12x44 sf (SBC)
    Hawke vantage 3-12x44 sf (half mildot)
    Which of the two in your option has the better glass,and which reticle do you like the best

The old Mamba-lite 3-12x44 scb, by a country mile

Glass probably on a par but I really don't like the basic Vantage/Hawke half mil dot ret.

got a mamba lite 4--12 x 44.
    i would say its nothing special optically
    does any one know if their is or was a connection with MTC
    and Optisan ? i thought their was so i was expecting clarity on parr
    with my Optisan Eve 4--16 which is miles ahead in clarity of all my hawkes
    and niko s

The clarity on my original mamba lite 3-12 is very close to my Nikko diamond.

Not looked through any of the new Mamba lites

Quote Originally Posted by pellet sniper View Post
    and niko s
    Yes there is a link, the original MTC scopes were Optisan & the boxes were emblazoned with Optisan name & logo.

My top scopes are now Optisan EVX FFP, the Mamba-lite isn't quite that good, but neither was it anywhere near the same price
    but to my eye is a match for, if not better than, the Hawke Vantage glass, which is the same sort of price point.

Quote Originally Posted by pellet sniper View Post
    and niko s
    My MTC viper. You can see MTC on the right .

The MTC Mamba Lites were indeed Optisan. I guess optical quality varies from one to another even for the same make and model - I have found that with other brands too.
    I never thought the Mamba Lites I have were that good in low light, despite others views. They were/are, however, very good for use with night vision add-ons with side focus and no awkward IR switches etc on the ocular end.

As above the old mamba light and SCB were excellent for the money, having looked through a recent one, the glass seemed to my eye to be not as good as it was on my original ones. That said they were not illuminated, which I think helps, with the scb ret on dark backgrounds and at dusk etc.
    Also have a couple of hawke vantage 4-16x44 SF which were on deal at 150 quid a year ago. They are I would say the same as the new mamba in terms of clarity, but the mamba wins for reticle use and ret, for me, even if the glass is no longer as good as the optisan glass in the originals....
    To throw a spanner in the works, vector optics veyron 6-24x44 SF ffp ill Ret is about 235 from riflescopesuk. So in the same bracket in terms of price, the I'll Ret is only the centre dot, so handy to still use with NV equipment. Glass is better than both, as is the Ret in terms of aim points and obvs is FFP, so handy for hunting.

Good luck....

Don't have a Hawke to compare with, but I have two old Mamba Lites. I like the glass and I like the reticle, but the turrets on both are terrible - VERY stiff, and no discernible clicks. I also have two new Mamba Lites, the turrets are fine and I think the scopes are better all round.

No matter what people say, the only way you will guage the optical quality of one scope over another is when YOU look through it.

The Mamba Lite has a good rep especially for rear NV.

Optically, I think the Optisan EVX range is way better and a whole step up.

Hawke has come a long way imho but sadly, I am not a great fan.

That doesnt mean its not good glass.

As far as rets go, it depends on use and your brain.

I love the MTC SCB variation of rets... christmas tree ladder rets work for my brain.

I dont find mil dot is accurate enough... improved if it has half mils too. My first scope was a 30 30 and it worked fine for HFT too.

As I do (or did) a lot of different disciplines, my scopes had a bias for hunting as a primary application.

I now use a Viper Pro for the dial in turrets. Its brilliant and has a removable scale to customise if you wish.

The only level playing field other shooters can give you is build quality and feel. You will get better info than asking about optical comparisons.

There is no shortcut. You need to look through them yourself.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill