Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Publication: The Book Of The BSA Air Rifle: 1905 to 1939

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Could this not be on Amazon? It would widen the market not just beyond those (me) who won’t get to Kempton, don’t do PayPal and find bank transfers a faff compared to clicking “buy now”. Including the international market.

I mean, I’ll buy a copy, somehow, but how many of our e.g. American collector friends are going to order one from Vic and Bob of Bognor Regis?
    I believe Amazon take a massive cut.
    I have a friend who wrote a series of very successful U.K. cycling guide books and he said Amazon sales are barely profitable, albeit that they do have a wide reach.
    His best sales are via publicity, review articles and general word of mouth within the cycling community, with purchases going through his own website.
    It might be worth John setting up a website just to facilitate sales. Especially if other publications are in the long term pipeline. It can be a slow burn seller that brings in steady sales.

Looking forward to getting my copy.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by grantb View Post
    Residing in Canada, I hope that not all are sold on December 12. I desperately want a copy.
    No problem. The first print run will consist of enough copies for all that want one. If they do sell out, I can always arrange for more to be printed.

Protek Supplies can ship overseas but if you encounter any problems, please PM me when the books are on sale and I am sure we can sort something out.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I believe Amazon take a massive cut.
    I have a friend who wrote a series of very successful U.K. cycling guide books and he said Amazon sales are barely profitable, albeit that they do have a wide reach.
    His best sales are via publicity, review articles and general word of mouth within the cycling community, with purchases going through his own website.
    It might be worth John setting up a website just to facilitate sales. Especially if other publications are in the long term pipeline. It can be a slow burn seller that brings in steady sales.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Defo no Amazon for this book. I don't really need a dedicated website as Protek are already set up as the 'official' distributor for the book.

I would much rather see a reliable gun shop take a cut from each copy sold than a multi national big tech corporation.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Could this not be on Amazon? It would widen the market not just beyond those (me) who won’t get to Kempton, don’t do PayPal and find bank transfers a faff compared to clicking “buy now”. Including the international market.

I mean, I’ll buy a copy, somehow, but how many of our e.g. American collector friends are going to order one from Vic and Bob of Bognor Regis?
    Protek will have a Buy It Now feature and can manage international sales. They can also accept an order over the telephone.

If you get stuck when the book is on sale, PM me and I'm sure we can sort you a copy somehow!

Kind regards,

John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 23-11-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Hello Geezer
    How far away are you from Barking??.
    Les..

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Hello Geezer
    Les..
    That's the question that needs answering......
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    I can pick up a copy of John's book for you, if it's not to far out of my way.
    Les..

I can't get to Kempton so am keeping watch on the Protek site for when I can order my 2 copies ... one for my daughter, one for me.
    Hey ho, anticipation.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I can't get to Kempton so am keeping watch on the Protek site for when I can order my 2 copies ... one for my daughter, one for me.
    Hey ho, anticipation.
    Cheers, Phil
    Hi Phil,

Protek will offer the book two days after Kempton as long as enough copies have been printed. Apparently the cover requires some hand finishing, which is why I may only have a limited number available for Kempton. There should be at least a hundred available at KP and hopefully a lot more.

Kind regards,

John

One addendum to my initial post - Protek can also accept telephone orders when the book goes on sale.

John

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    One addendum to my initial post - Protek can also accept telephone orders when the book goes on sale.

John
    Hi John, that's good as l will be buying my copy from protek. really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    That was a coffee on keyboard LOL moment for me and the missus when I told her, Dave. Thanks.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Protek will have a Buy It Now feature and can manage international sales. They can also accept an order over the telephone.

If you get stuck when the book is on sale, PM me and I'm sure we can sort you a copy somehow!

Kind regards,

John
    Very good to know, thank you, John.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Hello Geezer
    Les..
    Brilliant.

Metaphorically, probably quite close.

Physically, on the other side of London. I can probably get to Bristol or Bath in less time than it would take to get to Barking.

Brilliant.

Metaphorically, probably quite close.

Physically, on the other side of London. I can probably get to Bristol or Bath in less time than it would take to get to Barking.
    Ok mate
    I thought if I was passing your way,I could have dropped it off for you.
    Atb
    Les..