Thread: The Falke serial numbers

The Falke serial numbers

I have a theory on the numbers stamped on the Falke 80/90’s
    First why have numbers at all? A particular gunsmiths could have had his own mark he used to identify the parts he was working on. Han’s could have a x Frank a 0 etc. That would have been simple. If they really wanted serial numbers the guns could have been stamped numerically just before bluing.

My theory is they were producing a batch of guns. It was always to be a finite number. Falke where I’ve read the first to start producing Airguns after the war. So maybe Herr Falke is shown the new English Airsporter and there are some very keen gunsmiths chomping at the bit to work. The English contact can distribute the guns and so there is an agreement to make say 200 sporters and 100 match guns.

So the numbers are a list the gunsmiths working there way through. The work standard is high but occasionally 2 or 3 gunsmiths stamp the same number. Bit annoying perhaps but in the overall scheme of things this doesn’t matter to much as long as they keep track of total numbers. Of course they have to be a bit careful not to mix parts.
    So what about those odd high numbers? Well what if you stamp your parts say 23 and notice immediately the guy working with you has done the same! So you stamps a 3 in front of it. Now you have 323.
    So your working towards a goal in numbers produced but the odd duplicate isn’t that bigger deal as long as the order is met.
    What do the brains trust think?
    Michael
    Last edited by AirSupply; 22-11-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirSupply View Post
    I have a theory on the numbers stamped on the Falke 80/90’s
    First why have numbers at all? A particular gunsmiths could have had his own mark he used to identify the parts he was working on. Han’s could have a x Frank a 0 etc. That would have been simple. If they really wanted serial numbers the guns could have been stamped numerically just before bluing.

My theory is they were producing a batch of guns. It was always to be a finite number. Falke where I’ve read the first to start producing Airguns after the war. So maybe Herr Falke is shown the new English Airsporter and there are some very keen gunsmiths chomping at the bit to work. The English contact can distribute the guns and so there is an agreement to make say 200 sporters and 100 match guns.

So the numbers are a list the gunsmiths working there way through. The work standard is high but occasionally 2 or 3 gunsmiths stamp the same number. Bit annoying perhaps but in the overall scheme of things this doesn’t matter to much as long as they keep track of total numbers. Of course they have to be a bit careful not to mix parts.
    So what about those odd high numbers? Well what if you stamp your parts say 23 and notice immediately the guy working with you has done the same! So you stamps a 3 in front of it. Now you have 323.
    So your working towards a goal in numbers produced but the odd duplicate isn’t that bigger deal as long as the order is met.
    What do the brains trust think?
    Michael
    Yes Michael. It could have been something like that. I assume you've seen what I've written in the past about this question?

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ver-numbering/

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....mber-database/

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....s-an-analysis/
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi Danny
    Yes I have read that. When I looked at the high numbers in the 80’s 2 of the digits can be found duplicated in the double digit numbers. That is without adding a third digit they would have become another duplicate.
    That’s my theory on those high numbers.
    I don’t think the gunsmiths where allocated numbers. I think maybe they were responsible for crossing them off the total to be made and didn’t always do that.
    I imagine the workers with still a war effort mentality working feverishly but not that responsible for record keeping. The numbers have to be more than simply a makers make because as I said they could easily have had a unique mark.
    I think they were filling an order
    Ps. I have an 80 number 64 and a 90 number 4 not on your list yet. I’ll get some photos The 64 is stamped in 3 places. No duplicates for those on your list. ��
    Last edited by AirSupply; 22-11-2021 at 08:21 PM.

More thoughts on the Falke numbers. Falke is first to start production. If your a gunsmith your knocking on his door. He has an order he’s desperately wants done. (Gave him a heart attack!)Shift work! The previous shift don’t always cross off there numbers.
    I’m seeing a movie! ��
    Last edited by AirSupply; 22-11-2021 at 10:11 PM.

I agree in the sense that I no longer think they are serial numbers, Michael. But I will add your numbers to the list when you send me the pics. Amazing to think it was over 60 years ago. We may never know the truth now, unless a Falkewerke employee kept a journal which gives a clue...!

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I’ll get some photos organised. In a few days I’ll also be in possession of an interesting 70. I’ll send some photos of it as well.
    Thanks for giving us such an amazing resource in the VAG Danny. I visit it regularly to check bits and pieces.
    It’s the reason I have an interest in the Falke air guns.
    Michael

Falke 80 no64

https://imgur.com/a/PV4K5GO

The group I shot was around 20y
    Top shots were a different pellet. It liked the superdomes!

Quote Originally Posted by AirSupply View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/PV4K5GO

The group I shot was around 20y
    Top shots were a different pellet. It liked the superdomes!
    Thanks Michael. It's in lovely condition. It's rare to see one with the paint still in the impressed stock logo.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery