Thread: Webley Service help

Webley Service help

Just got two of these in. On the older one found that the automatic intercepting sear will not press down when the barrel is closed. When I take the the little spring out of it it swivels very easily. I have tried various springs in it and it just will not move when the barrel is closed. Seems a simple fix but I just cannot fathom why it is jamming. Also I suppose the correct back sights that fit in the large dovetail are hard to find for these ?

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

That sounds a bit odd. Do you think the interupting sear is original? Just wondering if it might be a replacement & although free to pivot is there a possibility that it's top profile is such that when the barrel closes on it the force it too much over the fulcrum pinching the 'sear downwards rather than tipping it. If it is original could the sears upper surface be worn or perhaps have been re profiled? Maybe swap the one from the other rifle & try it......

Difficult to be certain from photo but trajectory's thought looks spot on for me.

If it won't press down, is the height of the latch wrong? If the barrel is locking but not pushing the latch down then maybe the latch needs building up so that the barrel pushes it down.
    Or maybe I am missing the point.
    Cheers, Phil

It looks like a replacement to me: not quite the right shape. Is the spring lacking sufficient support within it's hole, and perhaps distorting enough to jam outside the sear, the part bearing on the receiver thereby becoming coil bound ?
    The rifle appears to have had some "improvements" over the years

Atb,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    That sounds a bit odd. Do you think the interupting sear is original? Just wondering if it might be a replacement & although free to pivot is there a possibility that it's top profile is such that when the barrel closes on it the force it too much over the fulcrum pinching the 'sear downwards rather than tipping it. If it is original could the sears upper surface be worn or perhaps have been re profiled? Maybe swap the one from the other rifle & try it......
    I had exactly this issue with a replacement sear from knibbs. Removing some metal from above the pivot hole so that the top edge of the sear sloped down towards the pivot was the solution
    Morally flawed

Thank you everyone for your input. Just fixed it by slightly stoning the contour of the front edge that catches on the piston. With the little return spring removed the sear easily moved. With the return spring installed the sear was solid, must be some kind of mechanical advantage. Now operates smoothly when the barrel returns to battery. Here is pic of back peep sight that someone wanted to see.

Thanks, Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice find with the early sight and safety intact. May have a rear sight in the stash. Will have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Nice find with the early sight and safety intact. May have a rear sight in the stash. Will have a look.
    Thanks for that, I managed to get one from troubledshooter on here, but another one at the right price would be welcome. You can never have too many back sights, especially adjustable ones. I have a few nice quality ones for pistols.

Baz

Back sight with the correct large dovetail arrived to replace ugly incorrect sight, thanks David. A few of my pistol sights, I buy them second hand whenever I see them as they are quite expensive new.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

Should look good with a better sight, nice to get them back to how they should be.

Nice selection of pistol sights, old MMC & Bo Mar etc all good stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Should look good with a better sight, nice to get them back to how they should be.

Nice selection of pistol sights, old MMC & Bo Mar etc all good stuff...
    Have you seen the Mini Micro, I had this on my daily carry gun in South Africa. Now fitted to my Tanfoglio .177.

[IMG][/IMG]

Must have been one of, if not the lowest profile adjustable rears around. Fairly smooth contoured as well, who was it who said a carry gun should be as smooth as a bar of soap? Tanfoglios & CZ75 s fitted the bill quite nicely for that. Rears were usually fairly straightforward to install but some of those tiny thumbnail fronts were a real pain.

Quite fancy trying a decent rear sight on a Premier or Senior with a small ramp front.

Saw your post about S&W, now that's a decent looking air pistol, never tried one but know the 41 quite well, the extending foresight version, there was a novelty.