Thread: Budget starter advice please - new/used, 177/22, springer/other

Budget starter advice please - new/used, 177/22, springer/other

Hi - I owned a rifle around 30 years ago as a boy and I now want to get something similar for my son, though hopefully less weedy than the one I had so there is decent range for shooting targets or tin cans etc. I thought there would be a healthy market of used rifles that were towards the 12lb limit I've read about but can't access these yet as I have not posted 5 things on this website. So anyway, can you please advise the best type of thing to go for and the best way to buy it, without spending a lot on something that might not be an instant hit.?
    Many thanks, A

Rifle

The only advice I can give is forget the "close to 12 ft/lb bit" For just messing about 9 or 10 is ample for tin cans and target practice and will open up a shed load more guns on offer. Welcome to the forum.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    How big is your son ?

https://weihrauch.co.uk/rifles/hw30-sf

This is not exactly budget, but if you can find one used you won't lose much on it.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Hi

If you can give us a bit more info you will get better advice

Use of gun (think ahead), rifle, pistol, calibre, budget, springer, PCP, do you need a scope, bag, moderator charging cylinder etc.

Don't chase power, accuracy is far more important, and also consider the age and size of your lad, at 15 they can be 6 footers or still have a bit to grow, so not everything will be suitable

Sharing a gun is not recommended unless it's just for an occasional plinking session BTW
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

The first decision will be power source ... spring/gas ram or pcp. To state the obvious (maybe) springers are self contained, pcp need an air source, pump or air bottle which adds to the cost.

Although I have not seen them myself there seems to be quite a few new springers on the market that get pretty good reviews; think price range around £200-£250. Similarly pcps at around £500 without bottle etc. Some come with a scope/bag, otherwise add around £80 for a basic scope, sometimes with mounts. Moving upmarket a bit with springers brings you into Air Arms, Weihrauch territory with good ranges of break barrels from Weihrauch and underlevers from both AA and Weihrauch. Diana may figure at some shops as well.
    If you can, it will be best if you can visit a shop to see a selection of rifles in order to handle / shoulder them, maybe even test fire. Hopefully the shop may have a number of s/h ones as well. This is better than selecting a model blind. I note you are in B'ham. I am sure a search will reveal several shops within a reasonable distance. A search on Guntrader should reveal who has what.
    Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Cheers, Phil

Budget Rifle

You can't really go wrong with a 99 or a 95. Some dealers might even do you a deal with a new scope also. Budget side then the remington express comes complete with a 4 x 32 scope for around £160 and these are a good bit of kit for the money. Mach 1.5

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    The only advice I can give is forget the "close to 12 ft/lb bit" For just messing about 9 or 10 is ample for tin cans and target practice and will open up a shed load more guns on offer. Welcome to the forum.
    yeah even 6 foot pound is more than adequate for plinking out to 30 odd yards... and makes for an easier to cock, lighter, more docile gun.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Welcome to the forum.

As above, having a little more information would certainly be useful, like how big is your son and what you term as "budget". Most on a "budget" would favour a light to middleweight springer and there are a fair few candidates available. Looking at your location, if you're able to travel you shouldn't be too far away from some well stocked shops offering an extensive choice, like maybe Solware at Tamworth, DAI (Direct Arms Imports) and City Air Weapons. Nice to get a feel for size, weight, balance etc.

Feel free to shout up for further advice and assistance. The BBS collective are a friendly, helpful bunch.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Welcome to the forum.

Choice depends on the size of your Son.
    I would recommend an Hatsan 900x, Smk 19 or a remington express. Budget rifles but very capable.

If he's only a little chap then the SMK 15 or the larger SMK 12 may be suitable.
    Also the Gamo junior hunter is the same size as the SMK 15.

As for caliber. If it's more for hunting then a .22, more for target shooting get a .177.
    Last edited by Neil54; 26-11-2021 at 07:14 PM.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

How big/old is your son and probably more important where is he going to shoot ?
    If you're thinking tin cans in the back garden then unless you have a huge garden 6ftlb will be plenty.

As the rules on shooting today will be far stricter than when you were a lad,
    Who is going to teach him safety & current firearms law ? even low power airguns are legally classed as a firearm.
    I'd suggest you look for a local club or RFD to get advice before you even think about buying anything.

I know "Mole valley Farmers" sell the gamo junior hunter pack for £105 which is about 6ftlb or a Daisy red rider BB rifle for £55 which is closer to 2ftlb, both spring powered.
    But imo that's more what you want for a child doing some garden "plinking".

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Choice depends on the size of your Sony.
    I would recommend an Hatsan 900x, Smk 19 or a remington express. Budget rifles but very capable.

If he's only a little chap then the SMK 15 or the larger SMK 12 may be suitable.
    Also the Gamo junior hunter is the same size as the SMK 15.

As for caliber. If it's more for hunting then a .22, more for target shooting get a .177.
    There's a Remmington Express for sale on The Airgun Forum at the moment. It's got a 4x32 scope and is up for £120 posted.
    The gun is in Northampton and has been for sale since the 7th of this month so you may be able to negotiate a little.
    I bought one of these for my daughter's boyfriend and with a little fettle it has become a nice gun to shoot. The main issue with the one I bought is that it had been cocked whilst out of the stock which put the piston sleeve out of shape, making it noisy to cock (fairly easy to straighten once accessed).
    If you do buy one of these, have a search on how to strip them down if you want to go down that route.

Starter gun

Still new to the forum and shooting. But how about a gamo kit pcp or springer good Reputation and if you get into shooting good enough to keep until you choose the next step in your rifle or gun step
    All the best in your search
    Sticks