Thread: Annealing on a budget.......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Annealing on a budget.......

Looked at various ideas for home-made annealing devices but have been drawn to two "ready made" items, namely something from "Reloader Brass" (Bulgaria) or something from "Caselife" (UK). Does anybody on here have any experience of either, and if so of any pitfalls/shortcomings encountered please? The Caselife item is priced a little lower than the Reloader item, but the latter looks as though it may be a little more robust?

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Looked at various ideas for home-made annealing devices but have been drawn to two "ready made" items, namely something from "Reloader Brass" (Bulgaria) or something from "Caselife" (UK). Does anybody on here have any experience of either, and if so of any pitfalls/shortcomings encountered please? The Caselife item is priced a little lower than the Reloader item, but the latter looks as though it may be a little more robust?
    The reloader one is £180 I believe (used to be £140 when it first came out) without torch. It may incur taxes on import now though. The caselife one is also £180 without the torch + £10 shipping. So a bit more dear all in, but no taxes.

An experienced reloader I know does his by hand. He came over and did some for me, when I had a problem with an expanding die once and was wondering if it was the brass. He rolled the case neck in a drill at low speed for a few seconds in the flame from a gas torch until he got the faintest change of colour, then stopped and let it cool.
    Last edited by silva; 25-11-2021 at 09:46 AM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Phoenix from the Nightvision Forum made his own one that uses induction heating .

Video here https://youtu.be/SF0YmmeEJK4

Cant remember the costs .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Phoenix from the Nightvision Forum made his own one that uses induction heating .

Video here https://youtu.be/SF0YmmeEJK4

Cant remember the costs .
    Yes, I saw Bruce's impressive device, but that's far too adventurous for me!

Yes, I saw Bruce's impressive device, but that's far too adventurous for me!
    It did take him some time and knowledge. He made his own thermal spotter if I remember right. I met him a few years back to buy a scope from him. A really nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    The reloader one is £180 I believe (used to be £140 when it first came out) without torch. It may incur taxes on import now though. The caselife one is also £180 without the torch + £10 shipping. So a bit more dear all in, but no taxes.
    Thanks Aris,
    The Caselife looks to be £190 delivered and I've found out that the Reloader is £220 delivered so not a great deal in it really. Perhaps an advantage of the Caselife is that it will deal with a wider range of brass e.g. .223 to .308 without the need to change wheels/discs and self-feeds to a certain extent, whereas the Reloader carousel has to be fed by hand.

Thanks Aris,
    The Caselife looks to be £190 delivered and I've found out that the Reloader is £220 delivered so not a great deal in it really. Perhaps an advantage of the Caselife is that it will deal with a wider range of brass e.g. .223 to .308 without the need to change wheels/discs and self-feeds to a certain extent, whereas the Reloader carousel has to be fed by hand.
    The Reloader one is £180 inc delivery. He sells via another shooting forum. Technically there would be vat and duties on top of this though but that is paid by you on receipt. Maybe that is where the £220 number comes from?

Really depends how many you want to anneal and how fast. I know the caselife one has different wheels for different calibres - but the standard one works for most. The individual discs on the reloader are also for multiple calibres depending on the diameter of the rim.

Remember you need to add a torch too.

ive done mine with a large reach socket / an adaptor and rechargeable drill. a mappi gas bottle and wand completes the package. timing and practice is important but once youve come up with a time , its simply a case of dropping the hot brass into a tray of water. plenty do this on youtube (some will use templelac).
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

It's so easy to anneal just the neck that's it watch the colour of the flame and the colour of the case. Bucket of water and a cheap cordless drill and that's it it gives longer brass life millions of u tube videos don't spend a penny you probably already have the equipment