Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Conman: The ratcatcher

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    I wonder why the seller hasn't been on,to put his side of the story on.Atb mick
    The words, dirty washing, public, comes to mind.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    He says he is not a shop but he has put 390 things in the for sale sections and 52 things for sale just this year.
    This ^ and others who are blatantly buying off here to resell elsewhere seems uncomfortably at odds with a forum for the members rather than individuals using it for their own profit.

My brief review of the seller suggests almost exclusive sales activity and very little forum content or engagement.

In my eye, he is a mass seller and straying into amateur or pro trade sales.

If this is new, and within warranty, I would have agreed return if rifle for warranty work. The warranty may only be original purchaser. That would have been a reasonable interparty solution.

The seller is ising caveat emptor in a spirit I find a bit cold and cynical and to be frank, just underlines a trade seller at best.

I think the mod team perhaps need to have a bit of a purge on 99% sales threads or perhaps members can raise a flag on members whos activity is based on flogging stuff.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

The seller been on here since 2006, it's taken this to bring up he's a big seller like a few more.Atb mick

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Generally we are aware of the big sellers. Some genuinely do it as part of their hobby and never have any issues. To be fair to the seller here, anything could have happened to the rifle between it leaving him and the buyer receiving it. We've all seen the videos of parcels getting thrown over walls and kicked around the depot. Add to that the numerous sales that he's conducted without any complaints being raised.

I'm playing devil's advocate here by the way, I don't approve at all of the lack of communication and desire to resolve the issue.

"Traders" are constantly having sales access removed, so it's definitely something we try to keep on top of. I think it's fair to say though that following this incident, I personally will have less tolerance for those that appear to be using the forum for their own gain.

It's worth a reminder that we're generally talking about secondhand goods bought unseen without any form of guarantee. There will always be an element of risk.

Take care.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

The reason I said to send it to the member that offered was for him to have a quick look over without taking anything apart as it could be an easy fix like something moved in transit etc and to someone who knows about these guns would be able to pick something like that up quite easily just by firing the rifle. With it being for your son for Christmas this could be the quick and easy way if not then send it to the manufacturer. The person that sold it could of already had it apart for all anyone knows so any warranty would be void anyway. I hope you get a quick resolve to this and your lad enjoys such a lovely Christmas present.

I generally take photos and/or video that is sent to buyer to help them assess the product, and to demonstrate everythimg was working moments before I pack it. I also send pics of the package at the PO counter and 99% I do a tracked or signed for.

If there is something wrong then its just returned and refunded unless it has changed from the pre packing condition.

Its either insured by carrier and claimed for.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    He says he is not a shop but he has put 390 things in the for sale sections and 52 things for sale just this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    This ^ and others who are blatantly buying off here to resell elsewhere seems uncomfortably at odds with a forum for the members rather than individuals using it for their own profit.
    The seller been on here since 2006, it's taken this to bring up he's a big seller like a few more.Atb mick

Unfortunately some traders go undetected until a deal goes bad which then draws our attention to their activities, as you folks are also noting.

We are constantly removing the sales access of folks who's only interest is in lining their own pockets from the sales section.
    If anyone would like to point out anyone who you suspect to be a dealer, please feel free to PM a member of admin so that we can look into the matter --- the more eyes on the job the better.

All the best Mick

Hi mick,I don't think anyone will grass on other's I might be wrong. Atb mick

Hi mick,I don't think anyone will grass on other's I might be wrong. Atb mick
    You are indeed wrong, Mick,
    Some folks do express their concerns in confidence, and their help is appreciated by Admin.

At the end of the day, it really is a bit pointless for members to moan about there being dealers on here in a thread such as this if they're not prepared to contact Admin and name names.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Unfortunately some traders go undetected until a deal goes bad which then draws our attention to their activities, as you folks are also noting.

We are constantly removing the sales access of folks who's only interest is in lining their own pockets from the sales section.
    If anyone would like to point out anyone who you suspect to be a dealer, please feel free to PM a member of admin so that we can look into the matter --- the more eyes on the job the better.

All the best Mick
    And, since the VCRA, anyone who sells airguns “by way of trade or business” (IIRC) must be an RFD.

There must be both a legal and a presentational issue here for the forum in providing a platform for such activity. And there are HMRC/tax issues too.

Of course there’s a big grey area. Many collectors own as many if not more airguns than the average gun shop, amassed over the years. If we needed or chose to sell up, we’d run the risk of being seen as illicit dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    And, since the VCRA, anyone who sells airguns “by way of trade or business” (IIRC) must be an RFD.

There must be both a legal and a presentational issue here for the forum in providing a platform for such activity. And there are HMRC/tax issues too.

Of course there’s a big grey area. Many collectors own as many if not more airguns than the average gun shop, amassed over the years. If we needed or chose to sell up, we’d run the risk of being seen as illicit dealers.
    I take "By way of trade or business" to mean a regular weekly seller, we have removed quite a lot of them over the years --- we've also removed a few gun shop and second hand shop owners.

Quite a few collectors contact Admin to give us the heads up before selling their collections on here, as long as their advert points out that it's a one off collection disposal I see no problem.

All the best Mick

UPDATE:

I contacted Brocock Ltd on the weekend, they were extremely fast in replying to my email asking for assistance on my Ranger XR, they have arranged for it to be picked up today!

I will update this thread once it lands back here

Thanks all

Great news.atb mick ps Great service from them .

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    I've never dealt with Brocock, but that sounds like a positive start. It would make me very happy to hear of a UK company delivering old-fashioned quality service. Fingers crossed.