Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pellet head size

Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    Hi Chris,my point was that 4.53 pellets are a much tighter fit in my magazines and group tighter than the heavy jsb pellets I was using.the 4.53 pellets I’m using are daystate select which I don’t think you can obtain anymore ��
    Daystate select are JSB Exacts, I doubt very much that they would actually measure 4.53 in the tin.
    As stated, any JSB made pellets have no relationship in size to the size on the tin. Find a good batch and buy as many as you can of the same batch.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Been proven by many a target shooter on another forum that the head size is total cobblers. My preferred pellet years ago was batch 46 2018 with a 4.52 headsize. I bought a large number of 46s from 2019 and they have a headsize of 4.53 and shoot exactly the same in both my Steyrs. People try a pellet, it groups well, says 4.53 on the tin and they think the barrel prefers 4.53s forever. The chap who did the extensive test found that the average size was actually closer to 4.50 for most batches of JSB he tried.

As ever the best advice is....find the best pellet for your gun that you can and then buy as many tins as you can afford. I currently have 750 tins on the way of a batch trialled by quite a few target shooters.

If anyone is looking for i decent batch i can recommend batch 33 from 2021. Out of the 15 batches we trialled we all thought this batch worked really well in all our rifles.

Edit..
    This might help a few out on here. The JSB batches we have found good in many different makes of rifle are.... batch 46 (any year), batch 54 (any year) and batch 33 2021
    Thats good Chris, as the sleeve you gave me for winning the speed shoot at the British open were 54 2021
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Been proven by many a target shooter on another forum that the head size is total cobblers. My preferred pellet years ago was batch 46 2018 with a 4.52 headsize. I bought a large number of 46s from 2019 and they have a headsize of 4.53 and shoot exactly the same in both my Steyrs. People try a pellet, it groups well, says 4.53 on the tin and they think the barrel prefers 4.53s forever. The chap who did the extensive test found that the average size was actually closer to 4.50 for most batches of JSB he tried.

As ever the best advice is....find the best pellet for your gun that you can and then buy as many tins as you can afford. I currently have 750 tins on the way of a batch trialled by quite a few target shooters.

If anyone is looking for i decent batch i can recommend batch 33 from 2021. Out of the 15 batches we trialled we all thought this batch worked really well in all our rifles.

Edit..
    This might help a few out on here. The JSB batches we have found good in many different makes of rifle are.... batch 46 (any year), batch 54 (any year) and batch 33 2021
    Superb information.

And yet another example of how people in this wonderful sport / hobby of ours are willing to openly share such information with fellow shooters to assist rather than trying to keep it hush hush to gain any advantage.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Thats good Chris, as the sleeve you gave me for winning the speed shoot at the British open were 54 2021
    Nice one; well done, sir.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

So KNOWING that the pellets in a tin WILL BE different head size, weight and maybe even length etc. Why is i5 my gun CAN show a TOTALLY different group from tight to pepper pot when I switch from say a 4.52 marked tin 5o a 4.51 or 4.53.
    I5 strikes me as illogical that a tin of 4.52 will be tight yet 4.51 will be all over the shop KNOWING that each tin will be a bit of a lottery of size, weight and length.

I know there will be overlap but I get tins that shoot tight and tins that pepper.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill