Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Softer 99 spring

Softer 99 spring

I find my 99 in 177 recoils quite hard, is there a softer spring i could fit ?, i have reduced the factory spring, & tried a titan, but still find the recoil hard, its currently doing 10.4 with the factory spring

TX 200 spring? Might not make full power though. I've also heard of people fitting the titan no.10 which is supposedly for the tx too but maybe beefier than a std tx spring.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Was it the Titan No 1 you used? If so this according to the chart is 3.25mm wire diameter. John Knibbs have just launched the Titan No10+ which has 3.1mm wire, and 5 coils longer than a standard No10.
    I know that Will Guerke - Welsh Willy has been using them to good effect in the 99. I've yet to try myself, but rest assured I will be conducting a review in the new year.

Many thanks, for the replies, i look forward to your review

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    how loose is the piston seal ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'm using JM/ARHs Ultra XLD spring which softens the gun up a bit:
    https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com...88/1979288.htm

Combined with one of the same makers SGS seals and my own delrin guides the gun is great at 10.5fpe.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    how loose is the piston seal ?
    No, it holds air when pushed in if the transfer port is blocked with a finger

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I'm using JM/ARHs Ultra XLD spring which softens the gun up a bit:
    https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com...88/1979288.htm

Combined with one of the same makers SGS seals and my own delrin guides the gun is great at 10.5fpe.
    Thanks for the info

As Maximus said above , a Titan No.10 is perfect for a .22 HW99 (still needs cutting down )but can be very hit and miss with a .177 version, some make power just fine some will be down in the 9's , what else you have inside your gun will make a lot of difference , too tight a piston seal can zap the power as can too thick a grease ,different types of grease can also affect the power .

I haven't had a chance to try mine yet but they do a new Titan NO.10 + spring, excatly the same wire as the normal No.10 titan but its 5 coils longer , they have been designed for the HW77-HW97 rifles which have a longer piston and stroke . A TX 200 spring will be too soft especially for a .177 version. The Titan No.1 will be far to harsh in a 99 . Welsh Willy was given some to try and I'm not sure but I think he had one in a 99s , has to be trial and error with a new spring , especially in a 99s , they don't have the biggest amount of room to add loads of extra spring, you don't want to be coil bound and not able to cock the gun.

So thats my best answer , the new Titan no.10+ should be able to sort what you need , in a .22 99s it lets them cock with one little finger, if you only need a little bit more umph for a .177 version , then it shouldn't need that much more spring. A lot of shooters only try and get about 10.5 with a .177 springerespecially .177 99's , were you not already at 10.4 ???. I actually have a Titan No.5 in my .177 version, its definitely harder to cock than the .22 one, but you don't need to be a power lifter to be able to cock it. I find the Titan no.1 too much in the 97k , much less a little 99s

You certainly don't need to follow the Titan Spring guide recomendations, they often produce harsh results if you follow their guides

Quick edit, as far as I know John Knibbs has these made so it's the only place you will get them from at the moment I believe
    Last edited by brk1; 26-11-2021 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added sourcing info

Quote Originally Posted by brk1 View Post
    As Maximus said above , a Titan No.10 is perfect for a .22 HW99 (still needs cutting down )but can be very hit and miss with a .177 version, some make power just fine some will be down in the 9's , what else you have inside your gun will make a lot of difference , too tight a piston seal can zap the power as can too thick a grease ,different types of grease can also affect the power .

I haven't had a chance to try mine yet but they do a new Titan NO.10 + spring, excatly the same wire as the normal No.10 titan but its 5 coils longer , they have been designed for the HW77-HW97 rifles which have a longer piston and stroke . A TX 200 spring will be too soft especially for a .177 version. The Titan No.1 will be far to harsh in a 99 . Welsh Willy was given some to try and I'm not sure but I think he had one in a 99s , has to be trial and error with a new spring , especially in a 99s , they don't have the biggest amount of room to add loads of extra spring, you don't want to be coil bound and not able to cock the gun.

So thats my best answer , the new Titan no.10+ should be able to sort what you need , in a .22 99s it lets them cock with one little finger, if you only need a little bit more umph for a .177 version , then it shouldn't need that much more spring. A lot of shooters only try and get about 10.5 with a .177 springerespecially .177 99's , were you not already at 10.4 ???. I actually have a Titan No.5 in my .177 version, its definitely harder to cock than the .22 one, but you don't need to be a power lifter to be able to cock it. I find the Titan no.1 too much in the 97k , much less a little 99s

You certainly don't need to follow the Titan Spring guide recomendations, they often produce harsh results if you follow their guides

Quick edit, as far as I know John Knibbs has these made so it's the only place you will get them from at the moment I believe
    Many thanks for your informative reply

No problems Robthedog, I hope I'm not breaking any rules , shauny doesn't come on here , this video was made before the Titan No.10+ was available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YtbQ5tCVfE

If you read down the replies you'll see shaun has answered somebody's question about what spring for what application, he actually lists a choice of Titans for the 99s

Excellent information on that new spring, chaps.

And I'd still be very interested in seeing what can be achieved with the TX200 III spring in one.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Out of interest, and well timed, look who's also working on a 99..

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2021/11/hw-50s-part-5/
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Again, many thanks guys, food for thought there

Nice link to that pyramid air HW50 @TonyL , that totally explains about those PG4 kits now, I was told they were adjustable but never understood how, an adjustable corkscrew type top hat to be able to fine tune the final output

Due to suffering with a bit of the tennis elbow if I constantly use break barrels , I've always been in favour of the softest springs I could get away with. I reckon a 10 year old could break my .177 TX and that has a slightly shortened No.10 spring in it.

I can't say I've ever tried a AA TX MK3 spring in anything else , after reading figures somewhere about how much softer they were than a No.10 Titan, with the TX having a long stroke , nearly 30mm more than a 99s , I just never tried one in a 99s, when I got my used TX200 , it had all the usual metal mass still inside , large metal top hat and spring guide , 3 metal power washers , nothing fitted very well at all , loose top hat and very loose spring guide , hence quite a bit too much twang , with all that metal work inside it was only making just over 10.4 with soft Exacts , the cycle was so lazy it didn't really want to shoot harder FTT at all , it was as if the FTT pellet really stuck in the barrel and only released at the very last moment, then it was only low 9's . With the TX having a huge swept volume compared to most other guns , they can easily make power with very soft internals, not everbody else's choice though.

Personally I've always tried as hard as I could to get my springs spot on with no extra washers at all, let the spring have as much freedom as possible to keep it as soft as possible rather than put too soft a spring in and have to give it power washer based preload . I'm not a power hungry merchant, when you shoot a 11 fpe+ .22 next to a 10.5 in .177 , theres a distinct difference in speed of around 200 fps between the 2 guns , you can certainly hear it at close range

So I bypassed getting a new Mk3 spring and got a Titan No.10 with good fitting spring guides, it works well even if a shortstroke kit is fitted in the TX, still makes power easily.

With the 99s only having just over a 70mm stroke and a smaller swept volume , I didn't even try a MK3 spring in it, If a Full Titan No.10 might not make the figures in a .177 version , chances are a mk3 spring won't come anywhere near it by a long way, might be interesting with a new Mk3 spring in a .22 version 99s though. I don't have one to try though so can't help on that front