Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Softer 99 spring

Very useful insight and handy information there; thank you.

Re that "adjustable" top hat on the Vortek.....maybe it does work okay and maybe it will continue to do so but, personally, I think I'd be much happier with a different form of adjustment (even if that entailed spacers under the top hat) and a nicely finished, flat and polished spring end onto a suitable flat bearing.
    Last edited by TonyL; 29-11-2021 at 05:59 AM. Reason: "Dies"? - does!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    No, it holds air when pushed in if the transfer port is blocked with a finger
    forget get.

how much force do you have to press down on the piston rod to get it moving / keep it moving ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    ....Re that "adjustable" top hat on the Vortek.....maybe it dies work okay and maybe it will continue to do so but, personally, I think I'd be much happier with a different form of adjustment (even if that entailed spacers under the top hat) and a nicely finished, flat and polished spring end onto a suitable flat bearing.
    Was thinking the same, that sping/tophat looks like it might fail earlier than a regular setup.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    forget get.

how much force do you have to press down on the piston rod to get it moving / keep it moving ?
    I''l check when i strip it down again

Very useful insight and handy information there; thank you.

Re that "adjustable" top hat on the Vortek.....maybe it does work okay and maybe it will continue to do so but, personally, I think I'd be much happier with a different form of adjustment (even if that entailed spacers under the top hat) and a nicely finished, flat and polished spring end onto a suitable flat bearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Was thinking the same, that sping/tophat looks like it might fail earlier than a regular setup.
    Reading Part 7 of Tom's HW50/99 feature, it seems they have now modified the top hat arrangement.:-

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2021/12/hw-50s-part-7/
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Reading Part 7 of Tom's HW50/99 feature, it seems they have now modified the top hat arrangement.:-

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2021/12/hw-50s-part-7/
    eash, amazed they don't finish of the spring end properly
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

eash, amazed they don't finish of the spring end properly
    Absolutely, Jon.. And I fear for the longevity of that black "rotation ring". It doesn't look to be the hardiest of components to me. If they are now going to use preload washers to adjust, why not do it properly and have a nice, flat, square, polished spring end onto a nice, flat bearing surface?

Absolutely, Jon.. And I fear for the longevity of that black "rotation ring". It doesn't look to be the hardiest of components to me. If they are now going to use preload washers to adjust, why not do it properly and have a nice, flat, square, polished spring end onto a nice, flat bearing surface?
    The front flange on the delrin tophat is too thin to last too.
    I'm rally not all that impressed by all the Vortek "innovation". Innovation is good when it creates stable products that are better than what came before.
    Innovation for the sake of creating something new to sell is just stupid.
    Too many airguns!

Our HW50s in 4.5 mm behaves very well. Spring is 215 x 19.1 x 2.9 x 29 coil x 38 lb/inch
    May be Wonky Donky's work. Can chrono tomorrow if it helps.

Apologies or a kind of hijacking the thread but has anyone managed to get their
    hands on springs less than 3mm wire and experiment ?
    would they be robust enough to maintain shape ?
    would there be too massive amounts of power decrease
    would the piston have to be lightened as a matter of coarse ?
    is 3.1mm utopia or just a result of availability to manufacturer s

anyone tried the titan 10+ in these ?

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    The front flange on the delrin tophat is too thin to last too.
    I'm rally not all that impressed by all the Vortek "innovation". Innovation is good when it creates stable products that are better than what came before.
    Innovation for the sake of creating something new to sell is just stupid.
    Fully agree.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Our HW50s in 4.5 mm behaves very well. Spring is 215 x 19.1 x 2.9 x 29 coil x 38 lb/inch
    May be Wonky Donky's work. Can chrono tomorrow if it helps.
    My .22 has a Wonky Donky spring, guide and top hat in it and shoots beautifully. I didn't take a note of the dimensions prior to fitting, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pellet sniper View Post
    Apologies or a kind of hijacking the thread but has anyone managed to get their
    hands on springs less than 3mm wire and experiment ?
    would they be robust enough to maintain shape ?
    would there be too massive amounts of power decrease
    would the piston have to be lightened as a matter of coarse ?
    is 3.1mm utopia or just a result of availability to manufacturer s
    Although I couldn't say definitively and I have certainly not conducted any testing, going by the number of our esteemed home tuners who have used springs of 3mm and less wire diameter, there's nothing to fear with them and, indeed, much to commend them on many applications. I'd say the quality of the spring and whether it's been scragged will be of much more importance. A long, soft spring of thin diameter wire, unsupported by proper guides, especially in a rifle with lots of spring room would, however, raise issues, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by brk1 View Post
    As Maximus said above , a Titan No.10 is perfect for a .22 HW99 (still needs cutting down )but can be very hit and miss with a .177 version, some make power just fine some will be down in the 9's , what else you have inside your gun will make a lot of difference , too tight a piston seal can zap the power as can too thick a grease ,different types of grease can also affect the power .

I haven't had a chance to try mine yet but they do a new Titan NO.10 + spring, excatly the same wire as the normal No.10 titan but its 5 coils longer , they have been designed for the HW77-HW97 rifles which have a longer piston and stroke . A TX 200 spring will be too soft especially for a .177 version. The Titan No.1 will be far to harsh in a 99 . Welsh Willy was given some to try and I'm not sure but I think he had one in a 99s , has to be trial and error with a new spring , especially in a 99s , they don't have the biggest amount of room to add loads of extra spring, you don't want to be coil bound and not able to cock the gun.

So thats my best answer , the new Titan no.10+ should be able to sort what you need , in a .22 99s it lets them cock with one little finger, if you only need a little bit more umph for a .177 version , then it shouldn't need that much more spring.

You certainly don't need to follow the Titan Spring guide recomendations, they often produce harsh results if you follow their guides

Quick edit, as far as I know John Knibbs has these made so it's the only place you will get them from at the moment I believe
    anyone tried the titan 10+ in these ?
    Looks like tests are underway, Jon.. The only thing is, to my mind, if it's the same spring but with extra coils and IF IT HAS THE SAME PITCH (?), maybe not. If the normal 10 has to be shortened in a .22 one would have thought that even the normal 10 might be a little too long in the .177 and may also require a little shortening? So I'm guessing there'd be nothing to gain from those extra coils unless there are other differences?