Thread: Anyone bought Infrared LEDs t0 repair their Cheap Chinese chrono

Anyone bought Infrared LEDs t0 repair their Cheap Chinese chrono

Hi All,

My cheap Chinese Chrono requires an LED replaced as it has been broken when I put it away clumsily and forgot about it for a few months.

It looks like all I need to do is find the appropriate led and then dig out the soldering iron.

So has anyone done this, and where did you get the LED from?

Cheers Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Some one on the other forum fixed his. He just bought a random IR LED. It was bigger than the original but still works fine.

One from an old TV remote may work.

Or check E-bay.
    Last edited by bighit; 26-11-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Some one on the other forum fixed his. He just bought a random IR LED. It was bigger than the original but still works fine.

One from an old TV remote may work.

Or check E-bay.
    Cheers, was wondering if they were anything specific but sounds like any old IR led will do

Need to get it fixed to use on things I can't mount the combro on ��

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Cheers, was wondering if they were anything specific but sounds like any old IR led will do

Need to get it fixed to use on things I can't mount the combro on ��
    This what he said .

In short, it was either buy in bulk of 10's or wait a few days for delivery. Neither appealed to me. To a simpleton like myself, an LED looked like another LED and there wasn't much spec difference from one to another apart from wavelength. No doubt frequency is an important factor.

I decided to take donor parts off a redundant tv remote control and proceeded to replace the shot LED. To my surprise, it worked equally well and a side by side comparison with my other 2 chrono's, it gave virtually identical readings. I left the LED legs long so I can align the LED to the sensor in the roof. Well happy with the results.

I am lucky in having 4 chrono's to double check. On this occasion, this repair worked well and and equalled the other chrono's on accuracy. I may have been lucky to find an LED of exacting spec so the unit performed to design. A quick, cheap and satisfying fix.

Please bear in mind a different LED off a different remote may not work to the same level of accuracy so use another chrono to check your new reading.

The LED needed is a 850 nanometers wavelength one.

It is well worth a try... especially given the information above.
    I bought one of the very first Skan units that had rows of LEDs and only gave velocity ... mid 1980s? ... and several years later managed to shoot a couple of LEDs out of it. I bought some the correct size from Maplins (we had one here at the time) and fitted them. Hey ho ... it worked and comparison with the new Skan I had bought showed it to be just as accurate. I keep the old unit for fun and nostalgia.
    Cheers, Phil

If your really stuck, send it to me and can swap out the damaged LEDS, I have some in case I shoot mine.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    If your really stuck, send it to me and can swap out the damaged LEDS, I have some in case I shoot mine.
    Many thanks for your kind offer

However I will buy a few and fix it with spares for any future issues.

Thanks, Rich

i have finally managed to find a few minutes to sit down and order some. hopefully by next weekend it will be working again
    Last edited by averageplinker; 05-12-2021 at 09:41 PM.

I've fixed a cheap chronograph with some old remote control's. And it did the job spot on I ran it over a mate's fx crono and it wasn't far out, around 10fps difference. And we've all got the odd broken remote control knocking about the house.

Looking at this thread again I have to wonder if i am the only one on here who isn't awash with defunct remote controls?

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Looking at this thread again I have to wonder if i am the only one on here who isn't awash with defunct remote controls?
    I keep finding some from items I recycled years ago.

TV,video,hifi,DVD player and so on. Even one for the fake log burner fire we had.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I keep finding some from items I recycled years ago.

TV,video,hifi,DVD player and so on. Even one for the fake log burner fire we had.
    Burning fake logs - the answer to the energy crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    Burning fake logs - the answer to the energy crisis?
    Yeah. Fake logs rule. Technically they would only burn if the fake log burner caught fire but then again they may be made of fire retardant materials.

We cant have a real log burner in the house hence the fake one. It covered where the Baxi back boiler gas fire was before being removed and a combi boiler fitted .

We changed it for another as the wife did not like the first one after a year of having it.

Fixed it and I have 19 more spare LEDs for future issues