Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any northerners going to Kempton Park?

Any northerners going to Kempton Park?

Back in July I started getting out of breath, apparently selectively. I could do 200 miles in the old Scania, no probs but start wheezing getting in and out of my cab. A round of medical appointments later and I've to eat less, drink less and walk more. I've stopped doing the 400 mile trip, mostly because Sod's Law dictates if something goes wrong it'll be at the point of maximum inconvenience. It's basically a heart problem with only a heart transplant as a cure, and at 75 no chance of that. Shit happens and it looks like my turn, although medication has made things slightly better.

This is just the backstory to me asking if I can cadge a lift to Kempton Park with anyone, preferably from South Yorks or further north. I can drive so I can get to any rendezvous and don't mind sharing expenses. I doubt if you'll get a peep out of me on the way back because I should have John M's book to read.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Good luck matey
    There are some great folk in your neck of the woods that attend most fairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Good luck matey
    There are some great folk in your neck of the woods that attend most fairs.
    Thanks, Pete.

Shall we be reverting to outdoor format? Lady M asks if all the stalls are booked. Apparently a lot of dogshows have got vacancies among both competitors and stallholders. I'm sure the regulars will let you know if they can't make it so you can re-let their stall.

Thanks again, Mick

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    Thanks, Pete.

Shall we be reverting to outdoor format? Lady M asks if all the stalls are booked. Apparently a lot of dogshows have got vacancies among both competitors and stallholders. I'm sure the regulars will let you know if they can't make it so you can re-let their stall.

Thanks again, Mick
    We are back indoors and all stalls booked with a waiting list of 6 people and 3 cruft reserves

Very sorry to hear this Mick. Glad you have a chance to improve your chances...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Very sorry to hear this Mick. Glad you have a chance to improve your chances...

Aye, best of breed and very highly commended!

I really can't complain, Danny. I've done well up to press and outlived all Mum's family by about 7 years. I got a letter from DVSA today and they haven't pulled my HGV. Yet!

Shall you be there yourself? Every fair I go to I meet another character I've only met on the screen.

Fingers crossed, Mick

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    Aye, best of breed and very highly commended!

I really can't complain, Danny. I've done well up to press and outlived all Mum's family by about 7 years. I got a letter from DVSA today and they haven't pulled my HGV. Yet!

Shall you be there yourself? Every fair I go to I meet another character I've only met on the screen.

Fingers crossed, Mick
    'Fraid not Mick. I'll just have to enjoy John's pics, if he's good enough to take some.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

'Fraid not Mick. I'll just have to enjoy John's pics, if he's good enough to take some.
    Hi Danny,

I may not be able to take as many this time as I shall be on a stall for most of the day, so if anyone wants to volunteer to take a few snaps, now's the time.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Danny,

I may not be able to take as many this time as I shall be on a stall for most of the day, so if anyone wants to volunteer to take a few snaps, now's the time.

Kind regards,

John
    Thinning out the collection perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Thinning out the collection perhaps?
    Selling books hopefully!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Selling books hopefully!
    Got it in one!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Of course, having a senior moment,

Looking forward to this last KP of the year. Should be a good one, I think you are going to be very busy on your stand, judging by the well deserved interest there is in your book.

I am sure that kindly old gentleman I see at thr fairs, usually with a table full of pre war BSA's , won't be far away, cashing in on the renewed popularity, your book will give to pre war BSA collecting.

Post war next, is surely the cry that will be echoing around the halls of Kempton next Sunday,

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post

Post war next, is surely the cry that will be echoing around the halls of Kempton next Sunday,
    This is very true. Surely if there's one subject crying out for the 'Milewski' treatment, it's postwar BSAs and the gap left by John Knibbs, though John Mil will be forgiven for not being the man that fills it.

Who else will pick up this huge challenge? Preferably someone in their 40s or 50s with lots of energy and an abiding interest in more recent BSAs. Do they exist, I wonder?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

One thought: If someone entrepreneurial put together everything written on postwar BSAs by John Atkins, it would add up to a sizeable volume.

I did this for my own use with PDFs of his research on Oscar Will/Venus-Waffenwerk airguns from about ten years (John Atkins been writing monthly columns for 40-odd years) and it came to 43 full-colour A4 pages.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

* obviously with the permission of, and a healthy share of proceeds to, Mr Atkins himself.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery