Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any northerners going to Kempton Park?

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    This is very true. Surely if there's one subject crying out for the 'Milewski' treatment, it's postwar BSAs and the gap left by John Knibbs, though John Mil will be forgiven for not being the man that fills it.

Who else will pick up this huge challenge? Preferably someone in their 40s or 50s with lots of energy and an abiding interest in more recent BSAs. Do they exist, I wonder?
    Hi Danny,

i have amassed a fair amount of material on post war BSAs, with the intention of running with several multi part series in Airgun World, for instance a 7 part history on the Meteor alone! I don't think there's quite enough for a detailed book though.

One thing I have amassed while researching the BSA book is a ton of first hand accounts of period shooting matches (not just bell target but paper target too), so the follow up book may well be on the history of organised airgun target shooting in the U.K. over the course of the 20th Century. I have also produced a draft manuscript on the Britannia but both are still in the early stages of production and won't be ready for some time.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Of course, having a senior moment,

Looking forward to this last KP of the year. Should be a good one, I think you are going to be very busy on your stand, judging by the well deserved interest there is in your book.

I am sure that kindly old gentleman I see at thr fairs, usually with a table full of pre war BSA's , won't be far away, cashing in on the renewed popularity, your book will give to pre war BSA collecting.

Post war next, is surely the cry that will be echoing around the halls of Kempton next Sunday,
    Very kind words sir - thank you.

See you there.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Danny,

i have amassed a fair amount of material on post war BSAs, with the intention of running with several multi part series in Airgun World, for instance a 7 part history on the Meteor alone! I don't think there's quite enough for a detailed book though.

One thing I have amassed while researching the BSA book is a ton of first hand accounts of period shooting matches (not just bell target but paper target too), so the follow up book may well be on the history of organised airgun target shooting in the U.K. over the course of the 20th Century. I have also produced a draft manuscript on the Britannia but both are still in the early stages of production and won't be ready for some time.

Kind regards,

John
    Both of those sound like very interesting projects John. Looking forward to buying your book next week
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    Back in July I started getting out of breath, apparently selectively. I could do 200 miles in the old Scania, no probs but start wheezing getting in and out of my cab. A round of medical appointments later and I've to eat less, drink less and walk more. I've stopped doing the 400 mile trip, mostly because Sod's Law dictates if something goes wrong it'll be at the point of maximum inconvenience. It's basically a heart problem with only a heart transplant as a cure, and at 75 no chance of that. Shit happens and it looks like my turn, although medication has made things slightly better.

This is just the backstory to me asking if I can cadge a lift to Kempton Park with anyone, preferably from South Yorks or further north. I can drive so I can get to any rendezvous and don't mind sharing expenses. I doubt if you'll get a peep out of me on the way back because I should have John M's book to read.

ATB, Mick
    Sorry to hear you are not too well Mick, I hope you can carry on for a good few years yet ok.

I can vividly remember your 50th birthday party on your lawn, where did the years all go?
    I am having a bit of a scrap with prostate cancer myself at the moment, and I will be having treatment within the next few weeks, but I have caught it early thankfully.

Look after your self and take it easy.
    Dean.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Danny,

Kind regards,

John
    Exciting to hear this, John. I kind of assumed you would need a long break... I shouldn't have underestimated you! Like me, you're in this vintage airguns lark for the long haul.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I can't help with the trip south mick, but if you can get on a train, I can pick you up from the station and get you back there.

Long shot I know, as trains are crap on Sundays.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Sorry to hear you are not too well Mick, I hope you can carry on for a good few years yet ok.

I can vividly remember your 50th birthday party on your lawn, where did the years all go?
    I am having a bit of a scrap with prostate cancer myself at the moment, and I will be having treatment within the next few weeks, but I have caught it early thankfully.

Look after your self and take it easy.
    Dean.
    Thanks for that Dean. I think both Marg and I are still here because the various cancers were diagnosed early enough. And thanks to DRI, too. I'd had 3 hospital visits before I'd have contacted a doctor if I lived in Rosso.

If there's anything I can do to help, pick up the phone.

All the very best, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    I can't help with the trip south mick, but if you can get on a train, I can pick you up from the station and get you back there.

Dave
    I know you're right about the train service, Dave, but I'll have a scan of the timetables tomorrow, thank you.

ATB, Mick

post 39 garvin are these horrendous post 39 airguns worthy of a mention or books wrote on them ? 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post

Dave
    Hi Dave,

Occam's Razor applies! I have learnt something from airguns* - if you're struggling to hit the target** - pick a bigger target! With Heathrow only 12 minutes away it is definitely a bigger target (GCHQ, please ignore this innocent metaphor) presumably aimed at by rail and coach services.

ATB, Mick

* My wife will be surprised!
    ** Or is that just me?

one day i will find my way there