Thread: BSA R10...regulator replacement...advice please.

BSA R10...regulator replacement...advice please.

I need some advice please...

Around 5 years ago John Bowkett blueprinted my R10 Mk.1 and it's been running perfectly since...However, a couple of weeks ago the issues started, I get a full power shot and then the next shot no air...leave the rifle for a few hours and then another full power shot ... and this cycle continues.

Now...do I ask John to sort it or do I opt for a Huma regulator replacement as I am pretty sure that it's the regulator playing up ?...If it's not what else could it be ?

Next thing...If I opt for the Huma Reg do I have a go at fitting it myself or do I get an 'expert' to do it ?..Plenty of videos on youtube etc etc...should I be brave and have a go ????

Would appreciate any advice please ?

Thanks in advance

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    agree it sounds like the reg.

If you've already invested in having John sort the rifle, that'd probably be my preferred option.

the huma reg is good, but then it won't be a bowkett blueprinted rifle any more.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'd send it back to John.

I know John makes quite a few alterations to the rifle, when he blueprints them. There's no guarantee you'll be able to fit a Huma reg.
    B.A.S.C. member

I had the same issue with my Bowkett Mk2 R10. Changed to a Huma reg, and it's even better now (more consistent) than with the modified regulator that is fitted during the tune.

Fitting the new reg is very easy. It takes 5 mins and 2 allen keys - plenty of guides on you tube.

I'd contact John and explain the problem, then go from there. Atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by rapidshot View Post
    I need some advice please...

Around 5 years ago John Bowkett blueprinted my R10 Mk.1 and it's been running perfectly since...However, a couple of weeks ago the issues started, I get a full power shot and then the next shot no air...leave the rifle for a few hours and then another full power shot ... and this cycle continues.

Now...do I ask John to sort it or do I opt for a Huma regulator replacement as I am pretty sure that it's the regulator playing up ?...If it's not what else could it be ?

Next thing...If I opt for the Huma Reg do I have a go at fitting it myself or do I get an 'expert' to do it ?..Plenty of videos on youtube etc etc...should I be brave and have a go ????

Would appreciate any advice please ?

Thanks in advance
    As mentioned probably wouldn’t hurt to give JB a bell first for his advice.

I’ve never had a JB blueprint so wouldn’t know how he sets them up or what work he does to the standard reg.

The huma route is so popular with the R10 as most will know the OEM regs can be very temperamental and don’t have a very good reliability record.

Another option maybe give Phil a bell at the Ratworks in leics if your planning on the huma route and don’t fancy doing it yourself.

Thanks for the replies gents ... I'll start with giving John B a call...I am guessing that he will suggest sending it back to him so he can look at it :-)

While reading this thread, sending a loved airgun, all I hear in my head is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X13N-Bx17Oc
    Unless it's these people handling it, I'll wait until the festive period is over. Personally, I would rather take an airgun myself than send it.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Ask John if he can fit a Huma?
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

i was quoted £70 for the cost of a huma reg for my R10
    just as a passive ponder for the future
    my bowkett reg is fine .
    i would get some quotes inc Air fective in MKeynes
    might be quicker than JB
    DIY yeah why not ? if yr mechanically inclined and have time
    i spose the million dollar question is "what can go wrong"
    if it does
    liam at airfective is helpfull and so is Ben at" the air gun centre"