Thread: Reparallaxing a scope is easy (sometimes)!

Reparallaxing a scope is easy (sometimes)!

When I went to the club for the first time in almost 2 years last week, my first job was to check my CO2 rifles were still working (thankfully they were). The Artemis CP2 I bought from Krale just before Brexit had hardly been used due to Covid.
    I did notice the cheap Chinese 3-9x40 mildot scope I had put on it was clearly set at 100yds which when mounted on mid power CO2 is not ideal.

I thought it was a great candidate for my first attempt to reset a scope (I got it on a rifle that I bought secondhand so it was effectively free and I wouldn't cry if I ruined it). Fast forward to today, back in from boys football and sheltering from the wind and sleet......time to give it a go!

I quickly discovered that the objective lense is fixed onto the the finishing part (carrier?) that screws into the bell of the scope tube. Stood at the back door with the scope on x9mag I slowly unscrewed the lense and the back fence slowly came into focus. I have got it where I am happy and secured it in place with wrap of black electrical tape. Job done

I don't think it is always that easy but it is good to know that for a short range rifle a cheap Chinese s cope can be quickly made more suitable.
    Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Well done!

A tip but not a criticism, try to source a few 1mm C/S O rings of various diameters to take up the gap instead of the tape.

With a bit of trial and error you will find one that allows you to tightly back up the trim ring/carrier against the body maintaining the correct focus, then you will not get any poi shift when the tape does eventually loosen.

Some scopes I have reparallaxed don't have a gap between the locking ring and scope tube.
    Those that did I made a plastic washer.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

I've done quite a few. Most are fairly easy to adjust, as above, but note that some types of scopes have are carrier which is glued in place, don't use too much force! I sent a 100m focus Meopta back to the factory and had that one adjusted to 25m.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.