Thread: Protek and Tell2 - Breech seal question

Protek and Tell2 - Breech seal question

I had the good fortune to recognise Protek Supplies as I trundled along the road yesterday - it pays to have a photo of your shop front on your website!
    I was on a 200 mile round trip to pick up some winter tyres for a trip to Germany. I couldn't believe I was outside Protek, and it was open! I've bought bits from them over the years and felt like a kid at Christmas as I pushed open the door.
    Amongst all the glorious stock that I'm fairly familiar with from the website, there in the display cabinet, right under my nose, was a little Tell 2, which I more or less had to have. So it came home with me. I've had it in bits to see what's what - as far as I can. There seems to be a fair old gap between the lower half of the breech and its seal - has anyone experience of reviving or replacing this leather part? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ChasP View Post
    - has anyone experience of reviving or replacing this leather part? Any ideas?
    I needed to make one a few years ago. I shaped a piece of leather and glued it into the recess with evo-stik
    After reducing the width to allow the cocking lever to close with a Stanley blade it shot with around the same efficiency as an original one that I used for comparison. Just that it worked was good enough for me as they are not really a pistol to use regularly.
    Last edited by Maple; 27-11-2021 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Maple View Post
    Just that it worked was good enough for me as they are not really a pistol to use regularly.
    I think perhaps I'll leave mine as it is - it shoots, and they're only original once. I couldn't resist filing the bayonet fitting at the muzzle just a fraction, to get the front sight to sit at the top of the barrel, rather than a few degrees off.

Thanks for the tip though, good to know it's straightforward

I have worked on a few of these, there is a particular water tap that has a replacement rubber washer fitted that fits exactly in the recess of the Tell 2 and also is the correct thickness. You just have to prize it out of the brass fitting. I also punch the seals out of polyurethane sheet with a sharp punch.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I have worked on a few of these, there is a particular water tap that has a replacement rubber washer fitted that fits exactly in the recess of the Tell 2 and also is the correct thickness. You just have to prize it out of the brass fitting. I also punch the seals out of polyurethane sheet with a sharp punch.

Baz
    That's great to know, much appreciated - I will look for something suitable. The leather is very hard and compressed and not making much of a seal at all, being nearly a century old!
    When I next feel brave, I'll dig out the old seal - I was wondering if a slice off a wine bottle cork might even do an alright job..

Protek and Tell2 - Breech seal question

That's great to know, much appreciated - I will look for something suitable. The leather is very hard and compressed and not making much of a seal at all, being nearly a century old!
    When I next feel brave, I'll dig out the old seal - I was wondering if a slice off a wine bottle cork might even do an alright job..
    i've replaced leather breach seals with the correct size o ring glued in with a hot glue gun, be sure to use the soft compound sticks & as it's nearly cool close the breech & you'll get a perfect seal then trim the exc
    ess off. the soft glue sticks mean you can dig it out if not right first attempt or two till you get the knack of it, works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    i've replaced leather breach seals with the correct size o ring glued in with a hot glue gun, be sure to use the soft compound sticks & as it's nearly cool close the breech & you'll get a perfect seal then trim the exc
    ess off. the soft glue sticks mean you can dig it out if not right first attempt or two till you get the knack of it, works really well.

Many thanks - like a Dremel, a glue gun is something I need to get! Great to know there's another way of doing this - Thanks.

I've done both mine with washers punched out of motorcycle inner tubes and held in with a spot of superglue. The pair get used a lot playing darts on lads nights in.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    On one I had, I think the plate that holds the washer was slightly bent backwards. I didnt want to risk trying to bend it back, so as i had already made the leather washer, I packed the back of it with some thin card to push the washer out a little at the bottom.
    There are pics of one I stripped about 10 years ago on Dannys site ---if you scroll down https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery..../tell-model-2/
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

I just love 'em, had a few, the one I regret selling was a rare plated one. The black one I have now came with a little leather holster. Is more accurate using darts than pellets.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

replacement washer

Don't try a wine cork - I did and it breaks up, nightmare! Tap washers work well though.
    Best,

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    I've done both mine with washers punched out of motorcycle inner tubes and held in with a spot of superglue. The pair get used a lot playing darts on lads nights in.
    Thanks - Top tip - Will get some darts too!

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    On one I had, I think the plate that holds the washer was slightly bent backwards. I didnt want to risk trying to bend it back, so as i had already made the leather washer, I packed the back of it with some thin card to push the washer out a little at the bottom.
    There are pics of one I stripped about 10 years ago on Dannys site ---if you scroll down https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery..../tell-model-2/
    That's a great thread - thanks for the link - and the nickel one is a beauty!

I just love 'em, had a few, the one I regret selling was a rare plated one. The black one I have now came with a little leather holster. Is more accurate using darts than pellets.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Stunning. I can't help myself - it's such fun to shoot. The pellets don't deform at all on their way through a piece of paper, and seem to shoot better second time around. Cheap thrills! Will deffo get some darts next time I'm in the shop though. Mine's not in terrible nick, but someone has had a set of pliers on the barrel cap at some point... a shame! Mine launched the whole spring/barrel assembly across the room at one point, but I think I've straightened it up

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by ChasP; 14-12-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    I’ve got that ! Bought it at Kempton a while back. It’s had a very unsympathetic yellow synthetic breach seal glued on at some point after this picture though, which I must correct. I’m not quite sure if the grips are right for a nickel plated one either.
    Morally flawed