Thread: Has anyone ever used a Webley Venom F1 spring

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Has anyone ever used a Webley Venom F1 spring

Were they really made from the same steel as formular 1 car valve springs? if so would they ever break or wear out, or are all of the quality springs made of the same type of steel.

Are some Airgun springs almost indestructible?

Webley Venom Spring

Produce around April 2001 and developed with another company which specailized in springs for formula 1 engines hence the F1 name. If you own a Webley Venom Custom rifle then this spring would be in the rifle at the time. Never heard of one breaking. Steve once had a Vmach spring break but the owner was an FT guy who shot 15000 pellets in 4 months. Steve replaced the spring free of charge. He too had never heard of one failing. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Produce around April 2001 and developed with another company which specailized in springs for formula 1 engines hence the F1 name. If you own a Webley Venom Custom rifle then this spring would be in the rifle at the time. Never heard of one breaking. Steve once had a Vmach spring break but the owner was an FT guy who shot 15000 pellets in 4 months. Steve replaced the spring free of charge. He too had never heard of one failing. Mach 1.5
    Thanks for the info, I bought two for the 80 but was never able to use them because of power problems but so smooth
    I am a bit surprised of one breaking even at 15000 in 4 months when you think about the work a F1 valve spring does

If the power lock/F1 springs are anything to go by, I think Venom/Vmach hit the mark square on with their springs.

One of the Venom springs I have still produces the same power and has lasted 28 years so far.

Lets hope the secret of where the V team obtained their springs is not lost ?

HW55T
    Hw77+7

Spring

Not so long ago a British company, who can't be named for legal reasons contacted the spring firm with an order for 4000 springs to VMach spec. The company phoned Steve to inform him. The Company didn't get their springs as the spring firm informed them that spec was for VMach only. Mach 1.5

My original Venom Lazaglide 77 spring lasted 36 years before giving up the ghost.

As far as I'm aware, Steve used the same spec springs for V-Mach.

But I've just bought one of Steve's last stock of springs from Lyn Lewington and instantly noticed the springs are now wound the opposite way to what a Venom / V-Mach spring normally is. In every other respect, they seem the same spec.

When I asked Lyn about why the springs were not wound the way they normally were, Lyn said Steve had recently changed the spec.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    My original Venom Lazaglide 77 spring lasted 36 years before giving up the ghost.

As far as I'm aware, Steve used the same spec springs for V-Mach.

But I've just bought one of Steve's last stock of springs from Lyn Lewington and instantly noticed the springs are now wound the opposite way to what a Venom / V-Mach spring normally is. In every other respect, they seem the same spec.

When I asked Lyn about why the springs were not wound the way they normally were, Lyn said Steve had recently changed the spec.
    Sorry about the old pic, but is it like the F1?

F1 Spring

The VMach isn't as thick a gauge. Mach 1.5

The VMach isn't as thick a gauge. Mach 1.5
    Now I know why I had power problems

I haven't ever tried one of the F1 springs, but would guess that they are very, very good. I've never had an issue with any of my Venom or V-Mach springs......The oldest V-Mach spring I have is the one that came in the kit that I fitted to one of my 77s in 2010 and is still performing impeccably, as are the Venom ones in my Venom tuned 80s and these will have last been serviced by Venom at Cradley Heath back in the late 80s / very early 90s.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Sorry about the old pic, but is it like the F1?

Hi Barry
    All the Venom / Vmach springs I've ever seen, have been wound that way. Apart from the latest one I had from Lyn.
    B.A.S.C. member