Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I just got a new lathe....

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

I just got a new lathe....

...now when I say new, I mean new to me. It's still 50 years old, but it has a proper set of backgears so i can do screwcutting, micrometer dials, laterally adjustable tailstock, a stready, a 4 jaw, and a ton of other "modern" developments my old Winfield didn't

Oh, and an angle plate with vertical slide so it can be used as a horizinal mill.

The airgun world is now my oyster... well, it will be once I've set it all up properly.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'm sure it will get plenty of work.Atb mick

Is it as good as my Student, Jon ?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    So what beginners lathe would you guys recommend please for just making Delrin guides and small metal parts.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Thumbs up

Is it this one?
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

Nice one Jon
    I hope you have plenty of fun with your new Lathe.
    I would like a lathe,once we move next year.
    Atb
    Les..

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Is it as good as my Student, Jon ?
    I always wondered why they called such a capable machine the "Student". I have something similar, the Harrison M300, recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    I always wondered why they called such a capable machine the "Student". I have something similar, the Harrison M300, recommended.
    Had my mk1 student for 27 years and wouldn't part with it for anything. Perfect size for airguns and car/motorbike/tractor bits
    BASC

Forget milling on the lathe Jon . The rigidity isn't there .

They make a dedicated machine for milling . Forgotten what it's called though

My Student is my go to lathe for most work jobs but I also have a Roundhead Triumph with a four foot long bed for bigger jobs.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    ...now when I say new, I mean new to me. It's still 50 years old, but it has a proper set of backgears so i can do screwcutting, micrometer dials, laterally adjustable tailstock, a stready, a 4 jaw, and a ton of other "modern" developments my old Winfield didn't

Oh, and an angle plate with vertical slide so it can be used as a horizinal mill.

The airgun world is now my oyster... well, it will be once I've set it all up properly.
    Congrats on the new (old) lathe JB

I really wish I paid attention during my younger years especially when visiting my grandparents at there farm in north wales.

My grandad had a huge building full of lathes and machinery the smells and noises were just superb but alas although he taught me to shoot back in the mid 80’s I never really paid much attention to his lathe working

Often wondered if it’s a path I should tread but maybe left it a tad too late to even learn the basics

What is this new old lathe?

Congrats on the lathe. I got a Chester 920 some years ago for various jobs. So far its helped me rebuild, restore, tune several guns AA SE90, Falcon FN19, 2x TX200s plus making air strippers scooe wheels. Great fun

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    A good lathe for a beginner would be a myford or a boxford
    Gun control means using both hands.

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Beginner....

Firstly I wouldn't go down the Myford route. They fetch mad money and almost all will need work to bring them back to any form of accuracy. The beds will be shagged and worn up by the chuck, as all the work modellers do is in that area. The bore is too small to get anything airgun, short of a falcon barrel through it. If you have experience, then yes, but even what I've learnt now I wouldn't bother with em.

Now a sorted Boxford AUD is a different colour of cat. I'd have one in an instant if I had the room.

I have a Warco WM180 and its a cracking machine. Dont be fooled by its Chinese origins, the Warcos are built and set up to a far better standard than anything else.
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut