Thread: Any advice on an older BSA air rifle

Any advice on an older BSA air rifle

Hi, I am looking for some advice on a BSA Meteor .22 Air Rifle which I have not used for at least 30 years. It looks in good condition at least externally to me except for the rubber seal where the barrel breaks looks corroded.

Unfortunately I have no place to use it any more and I don't see this changing any time soon so I was thinking about selling it but I have no idea what to price it at. Also as I cannot try it out I don't know what condition the spring mechanism is like or how these age.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has with experience of these things. Thanks in advance for any help.

What's the serial number?

Photos are needed to give a valuation too

Cheers
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I personally wouldn't try it. Could do damage.

I bought mk1 in poor condition but complete for £60. I wouldn't have thought much more.
    If your prepared to post, your market would be increased.

Under the breach block is a serial number. The letter prefix should give the model.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Found the Number and adding photos

Hi Matty and Neil and thanks for replying.

I have found the number, it's TG2376 it's really difficult to read but I think that is what it says. Can't see any other numbers anywhere.

I Can't seem to add photos so here is a link to an imgur post I have made with the photos:

https://imgur.com/a/KPsRVPV

Hope you can see these OK.

Nigel

Mk4 1974 to 1978

from photos I would say 50-60 quid as it stands as it needs stripping, no doubt cleaning, probably new piston buffer and defo a new breach seal

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Matty thanks for the information. I thought it would need some work if only because of the amount of time it's been stored.

I'm not sure how I would ship it because of the size for one thing and finding some appropriate way of packing it so I will probably have to see if anyone wants to collect it from here in Essex / Cambridge area.

When I am able to access the for sale section I will try posting an ad.

Nigel

If all you want to do is get rid of this gun with the minimum amount of trouble, perhaps a workable Plan B would be -if you have your own transport - to find you local Airgun Club and take it along there for advice.
    Most Clubs will have a crowd of helpful enthusiasts who can point you in the right general direction, or even find it a good home with one of their younger members who would be prepared to put the effort in to restore it.
    That's what I like about airguns - they don't rot away from under you like cars, and can generally be brought back to life with a bit of work.
    The Meteor especially has a MOUNTAIN of spares available for it.
    ndl.
    So much to do - so little time........

Quote Originally Posted by NormanDLanding View Post
    If all you want to do is get rid of this gun with the minimum amount of trouble, perhaps a workable Plan B would be -if you have your own transport - to find you local Airgun Club and take it along there for advice.
    Most Clubs will have a crowd of helpful enthusiasts who can point you in the right general direction, or even find it a good home with one of their younger members who would be prepared to put the effort in to restore it.
    That's what I like about airguns - they don't rot away from under you like cars, and can generally be brought back to life with a bit of work.
    The Meteor especially has a MOUNTAIN of spares available for it.
    ndl.
    Thanks for the suggestion I might do that if I can't sell it without sending it, l hadn't thought of that option.

If you remove the stock from the action, the overall size can be reduced. A local gun shop should have a spare empty rifle box you can cut down for posting. If you don't have spare bubble wrap, screwed up newspaper (lots of it) makes good padding.

The open sights look to be present on your example and if they are undamaged and uncracked, they are a desirable item on an early Meteor.

The piston buffer washer and breech seal usually turn to powder on these old rifles, so that is common to see. Protek Supplies in Bognor Regis sell spares for old BSAs including Meteors if you want to get this old classic up and running again.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    If you remove the stock from the action, the overall size can be reduced. A local gun shop should have a spare empty rifle box you can cut down for posting. If you don't have spare bubble wrap, screwed up newspaper (lots of it) makes good padding.

The open sights look to be present on your example and if they are undamaged and uncracked, they are a desirable item on an early Meteor.

The piston buffer washer and breech seal usually turn to powder on these old rifles, so that is common to see. Protek Supplies in Bognor Regis sell spares for old BSAs including Meteors if you want to get this old classic up and running again.

Kind regards,

John

Hi John, thanks for your suggestions. I have now put it in the for sale section but I think the collection rather than posting will be an issue. I'm not sure how to remove the stock from the action but that could be a possibility.
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by contactzero View Post
    Hi John, thanks for your suggestions. I have now put it in the for sale section but I think the collection rather than posting will be an issue. I'm not sure how to remove the stock from the action but that could be a possibility.
    Nigel
    Hi Nigel,

The stock can be removed by removing the two forend screws and the long trigger guard screw. The stock and action can then be separated.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Nigel,

The stock can be removed by removing the two forend screws and the long trigger guard screw. The stock and action can then be separated.

Kind regards,

John
    Thanks for this, I will have a look in a couple of days when I get a bit of time and try this. I have a possible box and bubble wrap. Thanks again.
    Nigel

Parcel force will take air guns/anything up to 1.5m (59") but a rifle really needs something to support/brace against stress.
    If not a proper rifle box then plywood or even something like a length of gutter down one side.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Parcel force will take air guns/anything up to 1.5m (59") but a rifle really needs something to support/brace against stress.
    If not a proper rifle box then plywood or even something like a length of gutter down one side.
    Thanks for the advice. I've agreed to sell it to another member and I am going to try and separate the stock to make it easier to send following everyone's advice on the forum which is really appreciated.