Thread: Freshest example of a prewar air rifle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There are air guns out there getting on for 100 years old which could be described as 'mint'; 'factory fresh' or 'as new' condition, those freakish guns which literally were bought, not used and put away in a dry place.

They are usually pistols for obvious reasons. A case in point is a late Webley Mark 1, pre war slang grip air pistol, from say 1938/9. I have seen several of these that look new, appear never to have been shot, the barrel still being 'stiff', and in their still crisp boxes with all the relevant paperwork.

My theory with these, and especially since I have seen more than one such, is that they were bought just prior to the outbreak of war. The owner then went to war, was killed in action, and then the gun remained 'put away', in a drawer most probably, until decades later having been discovered by another generation was sold on?

I have seen similar BSA's rifles from the 1st world War period, also seemingly unused, but being a rifle and kept in the open, some tarnishing has inevitably occurred and the oil and grease dried to crud. Amazing to think such things can go through three or four generations, and only one mishap on one occasion, would render them no longer 'mint' (or whatever).

Hence why truly 'mint' guns will, or at least should, achieve a significant premium when they are sold, even over a similar item in merely 'excellent' condition - ie used but still retaining most original finish.

I once valued such a collection. Went to war and never came back. All the guns bought between 1897 and 1910.
    Sadly, no one used them but someone had handled them. All had deep finger mark pitting. So bad the values were half what they might have been. No wear from use, just handling. Still came to a substantial amount.
    I own the gun cabinet that was given as a gift for the advice. The gentleman had great taste in guns.

If something is oiled and in a case or box, and the conditions in the storage place right, then time warp examples can be had. But for collectors of a marque these will be one offs in a stable of other levels of condition.
    Absolutely they should demand a premium, and do. But the main value will be if desirable in the first place. A uninspiring gun will always be not very exciting however old.

All adds to the joys of collecting.