Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Tale of a Long Lost Air Pistol - and the MPL.

Good to know things are still looking up for you Ian - oh sorry, I forgot - you always look up
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Good to know things are still looking up for you Ian - oh sorry, I forgot - you always look up
    Just you be very careful what you say otherwise I will tell Snow White over you.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Just you be very careful what you say otherwise I will tell Snow White over you.
    So, Snow White is still your enforcer eh?

I will be lucky to see her coming if the snow pitches tonight :

So, Snow White is still your enforcer eh?

I will be lucky to see her coming if the snow pitches tonight :
    Speak English man!

Speak English man!

運動場, 運動場地, (尤指)足球場…

or

雪开始铺在地上
    Xuě kāishǐ pù zài dìshàng

Chinese - probably more easily understood by IJ than English
    Last edited by zooma; 03-12-2021 at 11:51 AM.

In my attempt to educate and broaden IJ's limited knowledge, I thought this dictionary definition may help him (if he is not already beyond helping)

Snow is pitching.

Traditionally, if the Bristolian dictionaries are to be believed, people from the city would describe snow which remains on the ground and doesn't melt after falling as having 'pitched'. Other uses of this word in this context would include such phrases as: “Oh look, the snow is pitching on the ground”.

Linguists say that the Bristolian word ‘pitching’ to describe fallen snow is a classic example of what’s known as 'incognizant difference', which defines a dialect as opposed to an accent.

Until they hear weather forecasters or people from outside of Bristol using words like ‘stick’ or ‘settle’ to describe snow on the ground, many Bristolians have no idea that people in the rest of the country do not also use the word ‘pitch’.

I hope this helps - although I fear it will make no difference
    Last edited by zooma; 03-12-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Sorry to have my attempt to educate and broaden IJ's limited knowledge here on the BBS, but I thought this dictionary definition may help him (if he is not already beyond helping)

Snow is pitching.

Traditionally, if the Bristolian dictionaries are to be believed, people from the city would describe snow which remains on the ground and doesn't melt after falling as having 'pitched'. Other uses of this word in this context would include such phrases as: “Oh look, the snow is pitching on the ground”.

Linguists say that the Bristolian word ‘pitching’ to describe fallen snow is a classic example of what’s known as 'incognizant difference', which defines a dialect as opposed to an accent.

Until they hear weather forecasters or people from outside of Bristol using words like ‘stick’ or ‘settle’ to describe snow on the ground, many Bristolians have no idea that people in the rest of the country do not also use the word ‘pitch’.

I hope this helps - although I fear it will make no difference
    As Bristol born and bred this made me smile 😊
    we always said pitching. Puzzled loads people all over UK when said this in the many areas I have worked and lived. Picked up,various local terms over the years, like laying, settling, covering which seem bit more obvious than pitching! It's how language evolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuyajonathan View Post
    As Bristol born and bred this made me smile 😊
    we always said pitching. Puzzled loads people all over UK when said this in the many areas I have worked and lived. Picked up,various local terms over the years, like laying, settling, covering which seem bit more obvious than pitching! It's how language evolves.
    Not in Rawtenstall. You can get most things there by just grunting.

Not in Rawtenstall. You can get most things there by just grunting.

It works

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    Bob,

Your account of your HW70 finding its way back to you is very interesting, and shows how some of those guns that are sold are kept within the airgun community, and often moved on between collectors.

When I first got into 10m air rifle shooting in the early 1980s, I owned an Original 75 that I purchased from a fellow club member at our airgun club in Bromley, and I won many trophies and competitions with it.

When I stopped shooting 10m air rifle in the early 1990s, I sold the gun through an Airgun World advert to, if I recall correctly, a chap 'Up North'.

The serial number of the rifle was 023562 with a manufacture date of 01-80.

I did post a thread on the BBS a while ago to see if any BBS members owned it, or if it could be traced, but with no luck.

Interestingly, the rifle was originally a prize in a 'Target Gun' competition that my mate won, and as he was a Feinwerkbau 300S owner, he sold the Original 75 to me.

I wonder what happened to it and where it is now

I saw this and had to go check. Mine is 01-80 and I knew the serial was similar, but mine is 023535
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    I saw this and had to go check. Mine is 01-80 and I knew the serial was similar, but mine is 023535
    Thanks for checking Graeme, that is close, but not quite close enough!
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    Thanks for checking Graeme, that is close, but not quite close enough!
    I got all excited for a moment when I saw your post. Mine has evidence of stickers on the butt too so was obviously used competitively.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    I got all excited for a moment when I saw your post. Mine has evidence of stickers on the butt too so was obviously used competitively.
    I think that anyone that can shoot an original HW70 competitively has been practicing a lot - and probably has a lot of determination.

My best efforts with this slippery little front heavy air pistol can be seen in the January 2022 6yd MPL Air Pistol results!

Mine has a superb trigger and shoots beautifully, but I would not rate it as an ideal choice for myself to use as a competitive target pistol.