Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 13 with 10m AP !

Thumbs up Week 13 with 10m AP !

Heading into week 13 with 10m AP, and progress is slow but sure.

What I do like, is that the "flyers" seem to be meandering toward the infield.

Luckily the range is on my way to work, so I can stop in regularly. From yesterday morning:

Pardini K12 (w/Rink XL)
    H&N FML
    10m ISSF rules, Orion 004C targets
    Sub 6, HT M 65 USA

Peterborough Sportsman's Club (Dublin, NH USA) - "Pellet Night" Wednesday evenings 5-8pm.

My return to 10 meter air pistol shooting is not making as much progress as you have made Paul, but like you, I can see that the flyers are not spread out as far as they were last week when I started back, but I am not expecting anything too spectacular when the series starts!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Cool Well......

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    My return to 10 meter air pistol shooting is not making as much progress as you have made Paul, but like you, I can see that the flyers are not spread out as far as they were last week when I started back, but I am not expecting anything too spectacular when the series starts!
    Oh.......That was the good one. I reserve publication of the other three......
    Peterborough Sportsman's Club (Dublin, NH USA) - "Pellet Night" Wednesday evenings 5-8pm.

Assuming you are right handed, those shots going low and left are result of jerking the trigger.

Thumbs up Yes !

I believe you are correct. Trigger control is something I really need to work on.

There are also times when I get similar groups in the upper right. But I do have a tendency to "ambush the bull". Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Agt. Smith View Post
    I believe you are correct. Trigger control is something I really need to work on..
    Trigger control?

I just take a stab at it when I see the black bit flash past........is that wrong ?

I've shared this tons of times on here and with friends..

http://www.pilkguns.com/hhg-shtml/

This site really helped me with my 10m pistol scores.. It definitely improved my mental game
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Agt. Smith View Post
    I believe you are correct. Trigger control is something I really need to work on.

There are also times when I get similar groups in the upper right. But I do have a tendency to "ambush the bull". Bad.
    Going upper right is the result of anticipating the shot. You are effectively pushing forward with the heel of your hand. You should just be focusing on the front sight whilst applying pressure on the trigger with the shot released at between 5 and 8 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I've shared this tons of times on here and with friends..

http://www.pilkguns.com/hhg-shtml/

This site really helped me with my 10m pistol scores.. It definitely improved my mental game
    Thanks for sharing Donald - that looks really interesting.

Have you entered the MPL 10 meter Open Air Pistol competition? It would be good to have you join us!

I'm afraid I dont have a 10m pistol at this time..saying that.. I rung the bell target a fair few times with my .22 tempest at the bash several years ago!

I'm also behind on 4 comps at my local club! I was hoping to catch up tomorrow, but the dreaded liturgy is ripping through my household and I fear my 4 days off will be spent looking after the weans!

I quite fancy another pistol.. I fully and emotionally regret selling my fwb100 and would definitely get another if the stars aligned... I've moved on to powder burners, but I have an original 65 and 75 here to reseal and respring.. mated I'll sell one to fund an asp or potentially a pcp pistol. My club recently bought a compressor.

Thanks Zooma, for the invite, but I'll have to decline for now. Last time I signed up for the mpl, I fell out with my club be cause they took the genny away from the 10m (inside a shipping container) range .. I had words and quit, and sold the fwb shortly after. Too hot headed on afraid!

Thanks for the invite, and I'll definitely take you up if I get another suitable pistol.

Thanks
    Donald
    Donald

Stay in touch Donald - it would be good to see you back in the MPL again.

Stay safe,

Bob.

Thumbs up Trigger stuff.....

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    Going upper right is the result of anticipating the shot. You are effectively pushing forward with the heel of your hand. You should just be focusing on the front sight whilst applying pressure on the trigger with the shot released at between 5 and 8 seconds.
    Yes - I think I have been working that. Most of my shots are normally pretty much on the Y axis - with some high because I'm not low enough in sub-6 when I make the shot. I find my scores/groups are better if I execute a slow "fly-by" method. (.....from Pryor's "Bullseye Mind")

Engage the first stage just above the bull, then begin trigger squeeze as I'm passing through the bull then when I get to sub-6 complete the shot.

It was scary at first, but it's getting better (trusting mindset). This may (probably will) change, but for now it seems to be working.

Theres not enough chat about accuracy skills and mindset in my opinion... we have so many shooters on this forum and so few actually talk about improving their skills, or share techniques.. I've only been shooting about 35 years, so much still to learn!
    Donald

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Theres not enough chat about accuracy skills and mindset in my opinion... we have so many shooters on this forum and so few actually talk about improving their skills, or share techniques.. I've only been shooting about 35 years, so much still to learn!
    Actually, the Pilkington stuff, and the link you shared, are excellent.

And as far as improving skills goes - at week 14, I have an unimaginable amount to learn. Some of my previous CF stuff will help, but only to a certain extent.

A few things to help with the psychology side.

Every shot you take is going to be a dead centre bull. Tell yourself this as you bring the pistol up to target, I also envision a mental picture of what the target is going to look like through the spotting scope with the shot neatly in the middle of the bull. Never think anything along the lines of "all I've got to do is an 8" , because it means you won't be putting as much thought or effort as you would otherwise.

When you have a bad shot, don't dwell on it. Do not think to yourself "don't do that again " , because that is what you will do! If you find you get distracted by bad shots try shooting without spotting.

Always concentrate on what you did right. Analyse what you did wrong, but move forward and think about what you are going to do right.

Always use the correct target for the distance and always score your target. Use these scores to arrive at an average score for yourself. ALL SCORES go into the average, don't leave out a card because it is "bad". Doing this allows you to track your performance over time. Also, you will need an average if you are going to enter competitions.

The most important tip though is to always consider that the shot you are going to take is the most important you will ever make; this is the shot that will win the Gold. Every shot counts. Do not allow yourself any "throw away shots ". This is because there may come a time the next is indeed the most important shot of your life but your brain hasn't been trained to treat it as such.