Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printing F#%@*&%G B!@#$@%D!

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm

3D Printing F#%@*&%G B!@#$@%D!

Jeez
    I've done some stuff in my time, but it must be easier to learn Mandarin Chinese than this...

When I'm stuck on stuff, I usually turn to Youtube for help. But if I ever saw one of these expert 3D geeks tubers in the pub, I'd wazz in their babycham.

They tell you loads without actually telling you anything of any use. Its just a platform for massaging egos. Twats.

Anyhoo
    Bout a month ago I picked up a Creallity Ender Pro off FB for a hundred quid. It came with half a dozen spools of filliment, so I thought I'd jump in and have a go
    How hard can it be?
    Started off well by downloading stuff off Thingiverse bung it on an SD card after squeezing it through a thing called a slicer and print..... So far so good

But yes, old OCD man got bored of that PDQ. "I'll make up my own stuff".....Righto

I tried everybit of 3D CAD software and got nowhere. The last bit I tried was Tinkercad. Couldnt get on with that neither, till I watched a tutorial.

Back in 1995 I did an ACCESS course to get to Uni as a mature student, one of the courses was Coreldraw. I had this program on an old 386 machine and wanted to use it, so off we went.

So it turns out that I actually knew how to use Tinkercad from summut I did 25 years ago.

Artemis CP1 stock in the making. It has to be made in 10 bits to fit the printers.

Last edited by Neil.; 02-12-2021 at 02:25 PM.
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Nice one! And bargain for your printer.. I've been saving for an ender for months but other things always crop up and the piggyback has to be spent. I'm hoping to get one in january..
    Your stock looks excellent! I hope I can do equally as well when I get mine.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Nice one! And bargain for your printer.. I've been saving for an ender for months but other things always crop up and the piggyback has to be spent. I'm hoping to get one in january..
    Your stock looks excellent! I hope I can do equally as well when I get mine.
    Better off getting a used one first. Hundreds about, as people get them and cant use em. Its dead easy if you know what you are doing.

Neil it's only easy while they are working properly, a worthwhile fault and you suddenly find your fighting it out with a CNC bot.

ATB. Ora

ps. I've just finished putting LED strips in an old printer

PLAGUE is offline Nice to see you, to see you,,,,,,,Nice!!!!!!!
    Nice start Neil - what filament are you using?.

Steve.

Neil, are you planning to do any post processing like smoothing / filling / painting etc?
    Would be interested to see the results and to know what type of filament you use. I've been enjoying PETG after years of ABS troubles. As with everything I just traded one set of issues for another. ABS never wants to stay put and detaches from the build plate too soon - PETG stick so well i have to use a release agent to ensure i can get it off without pulling chips out my glass build plate (again).

They're a great tool to have, but without understanding it's just a useless lump.
    Downloading STLs from websites only gets you so far.

I've had one years and it gets used maybe once every 6 months, every time it fixes something I couldn't otherwise have achieved.
    last few years I've done 6 & 7 shot Speed loaders for black powder / nitro pistols. Last week I made a set of 45acp feed fingers for a lee loading press that ate my last spare (stuff paying £20+ each for them).

You really need to know at least one 3d modelling package to get the most out of it. I use AutoCAD - because it's what i used to use for work once upon a time.

0penScad is good I have heard.

https://openscad.org/

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

It's an excellent bit of design work

It look's a long reach to the trigger !

That looks great,
    Im a bit of a daydreamer at times and one of the projects I was planning in my head was 3D printing a synthetic sporter style stock for my HW77 (in several parts like you did) and then fibreglassing over it all to form a tough and rigid shell...

Like you I struggled with the software to even start to learn anything it and I eventually gave up and abandoned the idea completely
    Full credit to you for seeing it all the way through and producing a finished piece

Well
    As usual, I get all enthusiastic and jump in with 3 feet...

I have 2 Ender Pros, an Ender Max, a Colido Compact and a Colido 2+.

In the beginning I thought I'd use different machines for different stuff. All the above cost me just over £300 its just mad how much machine you get for the money. The Colido Compact has only been used once and cost more in postage than it cost. It came with Two brand new rolls of Colido ABS and PLA filament

So I'm using ABS and its peeling everywhere. Carbon Fibre just wont stick to itself. PETG is temperamental and doesn't like unheated beds. PLA works just fine but isn't very strong for the applications I want.

But apart from that, I'm all gravy...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    Jeez
    I've done some stuff in my time, but it must be easier to learn Mandarin Chinese than this...

When I'm stuck on stuff, I usually turn to Youtube for help. But if I ever saw one of these expert 3D geeks tubers in the pub, I'd wazz in their babycham.

They tell you loads without actually telling you anything of any use. Its just a platform for massaging egos. Twats.

Anyhoo
    Bout a month ago I picked up a Creallity Ender Pro off FB for a hundred quid. It came with half a dozen spools of filliment, so I thought I'd jump in and have a go
    How hard can it be?
    Started off well by downloading stuff off Thingiverse bung it on an SD card after squeezing it through a thing called a slicer and print..... So far so good

But yes, old OCD man got bored of that PDQ. "I'll make up my own stuff".....Righto

I tried everybit of 3D CAD software and got nowhere. The last bit I tried was Tinkercad. Couldnt get on with that neither, till I watched a tutorial.

Back in 1995 I did an ACCESS course to get to Uni as a mature student, one of the courses was Coreldraw. I had this program on an old 386 machine and wanted to use it, so off we went.

So it turns out that I actually knew how to use Tinkercad from summut I did 25 years ago.

Artemis CP1 stock in the making. It has to be made in 10 bits to fit the printers.

Coreldraw! A blast from my past. Corel suite 12 used for designing imagery to be used on dye sublimation printing.... Takes me back.

If you want a p15 stock sending to get measurements I have one you can borrow.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    Jeez

Anyhoo
    How hard can it be?

Practice at it Neil.......here is one a guy called Bob Pattenden on facebook made for my PP750.....

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!