Thread: Chronographs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi All

Well, I reckon it's horses for courses. I have a SKAN, Chrony F1 and a Combro of which the F1 and Combro are the workhorses selected for ease of use in the application at hand! The Skan is used as a useful cross check but can only really be used close to the muzzle and with care.

The F1 is the main workhorse for MV measurements and string comparisons for MV consistency tests and pellet comparisons and can be used downrange (although not too far) and with my home built illumination source mounted on the sky screens; is readily usable under fluorescent lighting. This has worked well for over 12 years with only one pellet impact incident (which was non-fatal!).

The Combro is barrel mounted but using a special adaptor made to support the Combro through the sensor shield mouldings and attach to the muzzle via a standard screw thread interface for which individual special adaptors can be made for each special (non-screw-cut) barrels. This grew out of the requirement to measure both pellet exit times AND MV for the same shot whilst undertaking rifle dynamics experiments and Robin was kind enough to suggest to me the optimum take off point for the first sensor signal (the only supplier prepared to do this so a big thank you for that as it saved me the task of reverse engineering the unit(s) to determine the tap off point myself!). This has worked happily for about 10 years and ever so many tests without incident. Before this, a separate "light gate" was used for exit detection and the F1 for MV!

See here for pics on a HW95:-

http://freepdfhosting.com/7823e10db4.pdf

It's all great fun isn't it!

atvb and stay safe and well.
    David
    Last edited by TopDog; 07-12-2021 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!