Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy of .25 Airguns Sub 12fpe

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Accuracy of .25 Airguns Sub 12fpe

Setting the trajectory issue to one side, are the pellets and barrels of .25 airguns well matched to give the excellet accuracy shown by the .177 and .22 calibres?

My only experience with a .25 is a Saxby Palmer Orion revolver many years ago... which seemed very accurate to me at the time and which I was told was doing 9 fpe!

I have heard that some barrel and pellet combos are no good at all, the pellets being too tight a fit .. I think these were BSAs and possibly using .243 barrel making equipment from their centrefire production line.

Accuracy bears no relation to calibre.
    I have a friend who shoots for pest control and uses .25 effectively
    B.A.S.C. member

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Accuracy bears no relation to calibre.
    I have a friend who shoots for pest control and uses .25 effectively
    I don't think that is completely true, it certainly isn't with firearms.

And in the years before the manufacture of pellets was improved ... maybe until the late 1980s? the .177 was not only flatter shooting but more accurate with a smaller dispersion of pellets at ranges up to 50 yards.

As there is a smaller selection of pellets and barrels in .25 I was thinking that maybe it is more difficult to find the right combination.

Pest control with a .25 gives more margin of error than .22 or .177 on the small target areas of pest species so that is not necessarily proof of equal accuracy.

Yes, pre 2012ish BSA used hammer forged barrels made with a .243 mandrel but the old pellets like Milbro Green Rhinos & old BSA Pylarms (18.6gn) were smaller at 6.2mm & Marksman are 6.25mm while European true .25's are 6.35mm so the pellets were a compromise to "fit" both, sadly Rhinos are no more & Pylarm are now 21gn 6.35mm.

In 2012 BSA switched over to true .25 barrels

As for accuracy, some pellet testing with my .25 Scorpion SE at the Chairgun recommended 23yds,
    All are a mag of 8 shots, sitting unsupported, except where I shot the FX Hybrid for a second time as 2 were damaged the first time through

Last edited by angrybear; 11-01-2022 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    As for accuracy, some pellet testing with my Scorpion SE at the Chairgun recommended 23yds.

OK I believe you both now!

My two are accurate on H&N FTT.
    I can lay down some mortar fire on field mushrooms at 50yds quite successfuly.
    Last edited by MrGreengrass; 12-01-2022 at 09:47 AM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I don't think that is completely true, it certainly isn't with firearms.

And in the years before the manufacture of pellets was improved ... maybe until the late 1980s? the .177 was not only flatter shooting but more accurate with a smaller dispersion of pellets at ranges up to 50 yards.

As there is a smaller selection of pellets and barrels in .25 I was thinking that maybe it is more difficult to find the right combination.

Pest control with a .25 gives more margin of error than .22 or .177 on the small target areas of pest species so that is not necessarily proof of equal accuracy.
    I certainly agree with the choice of .25 being limited, but the right pellet matched to the right barrel, his .25 are every bit as accurate as any of my rigs with .177
    The groups I've seen him shoot are proof enough for me.

Not a calibre I'd ever shoot though
    B.A.S.C. member

My .25's are currently all above 12fpe, and I have not shot them much recently..
    But when it comes to accuracy, I have observed that the selection of quality pellets seemed to smaller in .25,
    especially when looking for lightweight pellets suited for springers, and I belive this has limited the accuracy I'm getting.
    All the H&N FTT batches I have tried have had weight and diameter variations that are unacceptable, with some pellet heads
    loading tight and some falling into the breech of my HW80k.
    The best pellet I have found for springer shooting has been the H&N match wadcutter.
    I really wish JSB made a lighter version of their round head .25 pellet!
    Too many airguns!

Also like Angrybear,I have a Scorpion SE in .25 cal and can confirm accuracy
    at 25 yds is spot on ,even using non lead pellets.
    its deadly for use on tree rats, they do not run away
    after a ,25 pellet wacks them!!!!!
    a great calibre IMO.
    atb brian

.25 accuracy

I have excellent results in all my rifles

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    My .25's are currently all above 12fpe, and I have not shot them much recently..
    But when it comes to accuracy, I have observed that the selection of quality pellets seemed to smaller in .25,
    especially when looking for lightweight pellets suited for springers, and I belive this has limited the accuracy I'm getting.
    All the H&N FTT batches I have tried have had weight and diameter variations that are unacceptable, with some pellet heads
    The best pellet I have found for springer shooting has been the H&N match wadcutter.
    As do I,
    I'm sure JSB used to make the Mosquito .25 which was around 20gn, and I continue to kick myself for selling the last half dozen tins I had, but at the time the only .25cal I had was FAC & they were too light,
    which is probably the reason they're no longer made, most 25's around the world being FAC power, the UK alone is not enough of a market to warrant making them.

Having said that, as you can see from the above pic I find the JSB lead free to be super accurate & it's only 16.54gn, so well in to current .22 territory, problem is the price about 10p a pellet.
    Last edited by angrybear; 12-01-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    As do I,
    I'm sure JSB used to make the Mosquito .25 which was around 20gn, and I continue to kick myself for selling the last half dozen tins I had, but at the time the only .25cal I had was FAC & they were too light,
    which is probably the reason they're no longer made, most 25's around the world being FAC power, the UK alone is not enough of a market to warrant making them.

Having said that, as you can see from the above pic I find the JSB lead free to be super accurate & it's only 16.54gn, so well in to current .22 territory, problem is the price about 10p a pellet.
    The JSB lead free looks very interesting for springer use, but the price has put me off.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    A fellow BBS member sent me about 30 HN match wadcutter pellets to try in my Hw80, they performed the best in my gun. I have been trying to find someone who stocks them, but sadly no longer produced.
    Les..

During the/my 'experimental' years - when I made the 20 cal realisation (through extensive field experience) and did same trials with .25 - had no problems with accuracy with 25 cal

I simply discovered the bigger hole had absolutely no benefit over 22 at uk power, and it was harder to put hole in correct place, increased chance of small movement in quarry due to slow speed, and that the close up/reduced penetration damage to building argument (rats ferrals etc) held no water, as simply using a task specific 22 pellet in that case, did a better job in every way - that was my finding, and we all may be a bit different in the way we do things .......

I've no extensive experience of fac 25, however deduce that at a mid power level say 30ftlb it may be a useful thing - I imagine there will be folk on here who know the approx speed/ME required at which 25s go 'flattish' at a diablo firing air rifle range, thus making most of it - I'd think pest birds (following general license of course) out in fields would be one use, probably quieter / more practical than rimfire calibres maybe - especially on hard ground say
    Last edited by PCPShooter; 12-01-2022 at 04:16 PM.
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

i found my 25 very accurate