Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, reducing size of lead balls

Help, reducing size of lead balls

I needed some 6mm lead balls, but could only find 6.1mm balls which I thought may work but no they are too tight, I seem to remember a thread on here how to reduce the size of lead balls by rolling them between 2 steel plates with I think emery paper stuck to them, I can’t find the thread, can anyone help in any way?

Cheers, Lawrie.

Maybe tumbling them with a fine abrasive would work ?

All the best Mick

I have seen it done with steel balls. Not sure if it would work with lead.

A hoop on a handle to hold the balls and a belt sander. Lead dust would be an issue if done indoors.
    Also doing it with lead may take too much off in a short time.

The balls revolve as the belt runs.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Are you planning on shooting them ? If so, perhaps re-think any method that involves abrasives.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I have seen it done with steel balls. Not sure if it would work with lead.

A hoop on a handle to hold the balls and a belt sander. Lead dust would be an issue if done indoors.
    Also doing it with lead may take too much off in a short time.

The balls revolve as the belt runs.
    That’s a great idea, If I make the “hoop” from a piece hardened silver steel gauge plate, with maybe 5 x 6mm holes the balls would slip through when reduced to 6mm, thanks for the idea, I will give it a go and let you know how it works out.

Regards, Lawrie

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    Are you planning on shooting them ? If so, perhaps re-think any method that involves abrasives.
    I think I know where you are coming from, you think it will leave traces of the abrasive on the balls, I will be shooting them very occasionally, so will try and clean them as well as possible, thanks for your concern.

Regards,

Lawrie.

Hi Laurie,
    Just be careful where the lead dust goes.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hi Laurie,
    Just be careful where the lead dust goes.
    Rich.
    Thanks Rich,

I am aware of the dangers of lead dust, so will take ample precautions.

Cheers,

Lawrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie Amatruda View Post
    That’s a great idea, If I make the “hoop” from a piece hardened silver steel gauge plate, with maybe 5 x 6mm holes the balls would slip through when reduced to 6mm, thanks for the idea, I will give it a go and let you know how it works out.

Regards, Lawrie
    Your welcome Lawrie.

Seem to remember a thread...possibly, use a steel pellet tin with a good few but only one layer of lead balls, load it a simple grinding paste - with some chalk and oil, then use a top hap/ plunger type made out off a piece of circular cut ply with a hole through the middle to take a long countersunk bolt/nut...mount top hat/plunger thing in a drill and use it to press down on and spin those balls down to size in the pellet tin!...think it went something like that?
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Seem to remember a thread...possibly, use a steel pellet tin with a good few but only one layer of lead balls, load it a simple grinding paste - with some chalk and oil, then use a top hap/ plunger type made out off a piece of circular cut ply with a hole through the middle to take a long countersunk bolt/nut...mount top hat/plunger thing in a drill and use it to press down on and spin those balls down to size in the pellet tin!...think it went something like that?
    Thanks Dave,

I think that was indeed the method, so now I have two options to try.:

Cheers,

Lawrie.

i remember seeing it and thinking what a good idea as i have a .24 lead ball shooter
    i planned a tin possibly the ones you get with the better quality 41/2" slitting disks in, emery paper on one side and a spigot attched to the bottom with shims to control how much the balls were reduced by
    i was going to spin it with a cordless drill and possibly do it under water to keep lead dust down and to keep the emery and the balls clean
    sadly not done it yet

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    i remember seeing it and thinking what a good idea as i have a .24 lead ball shooter
    i planned a tin possibly the ones you get with the better quality 41/2" slitting disks in, emery paper on one side and a spigot attched to the bottom with shims to control how much the balls were reduced by
    i was going to spin it with a cordless drill and possibly do it under water to keep lead dust down and to keep the emery and the balls clean
    sadly not done it yet
    Ped,

If the .24 lead ball shooter is the so called (.25 calibre) Apache, you need No. 4 buckshot if you can get hold of them.

Cheers

Lawrie

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie Amatruda View Post
    you need No. 4 buckshot if you can get hold of them
    America, perhaps reloading site ? If they'll ship
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Ptdunk did a thread in the collectible section on exactly this mate...

Here:
    https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...own-lead-balls
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.