Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
I once bought a second hand "older" HW77, bog standard, .177, for a friend. It was fantastic and a tac driver. One rifle that I wish I hadn't had to pass along. Never had one as good. Heck even the Venom HW77 I had for a while was different.

A lot of HWs have been sold. Agreed, they should be by now be producing dream machines, both springers and PCPs.

The one I have HW95 fully tuned maybe accurate and smooth but still flighty, a bit too hold sensitive. Its no easier to shoot than a FWB Sport, and it should be. A fully tuned up 77 or 80 has the heft so no reason not to. But other stuff can shoot well too given as much work.
For springers then Air Arms make lovely out of the box rifles, and if you are only going to buy once then you may as well have something thats a pleasure to own.

Those shooting at the top of the league are where rifle fit is as important as rifle make. What you get on with, and what stays on tac drive for a long time. Why it takes a few rifles to find what delivers. People buy what the winners use, until the next winner uses something different.
I once bought an older 77k off a friend at it was almost recoiless, I sold it on to fund another rifle but it was untouched but well run in.

Pete