Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Love/hate relationship with Weihrauch

Love/hate relationship with Weihrauch

Cor Weihrauchs really do my nut in

Don’t want to be outright negative so it’s very much love/hate am I alone is this thought process or anyone else suffering weihrauchitus

For eg.

Springers:

HW30 obviously love the trigger (rekord versions), love the sweet shooting experience but my god is the rifle flawed and riddled with the usual hateful niggles.

HW99s pretty much as above

HW95 on paper pretty much perfect obvious love for the trigger etc but my god what a hateful shooting experience the most annoying springer to get a nice shot cycle with especially calming that well known hold sensitivity for the sub 12 boys & girls.

HW80 the Daddy much love in every aspect however as we all know sub 12 it’s such a waste of ooomph and being on tick over with that lethargic shot cycle is boring as heck like having a car constantly in limp home mode.

HW77/97 probably IMO the cream of the crop not many negatives at all but usually a little tickle with some spit and polish is certainly needed for that out the box unfinished kick it out the door quick accountants examples

Now the elephant in the room my latest HW100

Owned loads of them but never really gelled no matter what guise be it 101 100 full length and karbine, fister or Sporter variants.

I love many other aspects though like the trigger, mag system and side lever etc.

After some tinkering, I’m even starting to like the split block and the internals setup but my biggest gripe is that barrel security.

Now I’m from the oldschool thought process of a fully floating barrel should be absolutely pukka eg you could do chin ups on a rapid barrel but my oh my I have zero confidence doing the usual floating the barrel stuff on a 100 without beefing up the breech block area eg modification required with additional grub screws through the top.

Yes I know it’s controversial but I know plenty of tuners who agree with that method.

Meh……feel a tad better now so I’ll end on a positive my biggest love though for Weihrauchs is certainly the spares availability for sure even the 100 is so easy with every part available if ever needed not to mention so many after market suppliers now that is probably the biggest positive going

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Everyone knows my thoughts on HWs, I did recently buy my other half a HW30 and, like said, it is nice to shoot for a junior rifle compared to something like a Meteor but now you've put the wind up me thinking what all these niggles are going to be, I know about the cocking arm eating the cylinder (I'm going to have to look into that soon and try and prevent it before it happens), obviously the 35 should never have been produced and I hate that BSA/AA didn't bring out the 99 (although BSA would have cocked it up and AA would have never of allowed it to eat itself)

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Cor Weihrauchs really do my nut in

Don’t want to be outright negative so it’s very much love/hate am I alone is this thought process or anyone else suffering weihrauchitus

For eg.

Springers:

HW30 obviously love the trigger (rekord versions), love the sweet shooting experience but my god is the rifle flawed and riddled with the usual hateful niggles.

HW99s pretty much as above

HW95 on paper pretty much perfect obvious love for the trigger etc but my god what a hateful shooting experience the most annoying springer to get a nice shot cycle with especially calming that well known hold sensitivity for the sub 12 boys & girls.

HW80 the Daddy much love in every aspect however as we all know sub 12 it’s such a waste of ooomph and being on tick over with that lethargic shot cycle is boring as heck like having a car constantly in limp home mode.

HW77/97 probably IMO the cream of the crop not many negatives at all but usually a little tickle with some spit and polish is certainly needed for that out the box unfinished kick it out the door quick accountants examples

Now the elephant in the room my latest HW100

Owned loads of them but never really gelled no matter what guise be it 101 100 full length and karbine, fister or Sporter variants.

I love many other aspects though like the trigger, mag system and side lever etc.

After some tinkering, I’m even starting to like the split block and the internals setup but my biggest gripe is that barrel security.

Now I’m from the oldschool thought process of a fully floating barrel should be absolutely pukka eg you could do chin ups on a rapid barrel but my oh my I have zero confidence doing the usual floating the barrel stuff on a 100 without beefing up the breech block area eg modification required with additional grub screws through the top.

Yes I know it’s controversial but I know plenty of tuners who agree with that method.

Meh……feel a tad better now so I’ll end on a positive my biggest love though for Weihrauchs is certainly the spares availability for sure even the 100 is so easy with every part available if ever needed not to mention so many after market suppliers now that is probably the biggest positive going
    I feel the same about them too. I can't even shoot a HW springer out of the box. For me they all need a fair amount of work and for my needs, they also need a CS500 at the very least.
    When you have thrown a small fortune at them though and tuned the living daylights out of them, they can be excellent rifles.
    My .177 95 has been an ongoing piece of work for over a year. Its now superb in all aspects.
    I also have a Venom 77 lazaglide that is rather good.
    Both are very different to a factory HW springer.

My 100, is pretty much the same, in that for me, it's crap ergonomically, down to what I feel is the typically crap factory stock (same as their springers), but in most other aspects its very good.
    I've floated the barrel on mine with a Rowan band and accuracy is superb
    B.A.S.C. member

What? No mention of the ‘57 or ‘90?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Everyone knows my thoughts on HWs, I did recently buy my other half a HW30 and, like said, it is nice to shoot for a junior rifle compared to something like a Meteor but now you've put the wind up me thinking what all these niggles are going to be, I know about the cocking arm eating the cylinder (I'm going to have to look into that soon and try and prevent it before it happens), obviously the 35 should never have been produced and I hate that BSA/AA didn't bring out the 99 (although BSA would have cocked it up and AA would have never of allowed it to eat itself)

Pete
    I'd get the anti galling fix done smartish Pete. Its a bit of a one way street when they start.
    B.A.S.C. member

Pete
    Thanks for the reply Pete,

Yeah the obvious niggle with the nasty gaulling associated with super stiff knuckles, over tight factory barrel pivot bolt, burrs, tramlines, poor QC, usual sliced piston seal on assembly and my biggest bugbear of all the very cheap and nasty ball bearing iffy lockup

Apart from that cracking rifles

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I feel the same about them too. I can't even shoot a HW springer out of the box. For me they all need a fair amount of work and for my needs, they also need a CS500 at the very least.
    When you have thrown a small fortune at them though and tuned the living daylights out of them, they can be excellent rifles.
    My .177 95 has been an ongoing piece of work for over a year. Its now superb in all aspects.
    I also have a Venom 77 lazaglide that is rather good.
    Both are very different to a factory HW springer.

My 100, is pretty much the same, in that for me, it's crap ergonomically, down to what I feel is the typically crap factory stock (same as their springers), but in most other aspects its very good.
    I've floated the barrel on mine with a Rowan band and accuracy is superb
    Yep echoed Rob

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    What? No mention of the ‘57 or ‘90?
    The 57 would turn the thread completely sour IJ

The 90 is probably the best rammer available as it has half a chance with an acceptable trigger

Thanks for the reply Pete,

Yeah the obvious niggle with the nasty gaulling associated with super stiff knuckles, over tight factory barrel pivot bolt, burrs, tramlines, poor QC, usual sliced piston seal on assembly and my biggest bugbear of all the very cheap and nasty ball bearing iffy lockup

Apart from that cracking rifles
    So what's the cure for the galling?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

So what's the cure for the galling?

Pete
    5mins with an angle grinder Pete

In all seriousness just needs the knuckles freeing off and plenty of spit and polish in all the right places plus as they omitted the delrin insert on the 30 unlike the 99s a good choice would be to add some delrin to the cocking arm

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Honestly, just get the top of the block drilled and tapped and all is well.

I am a rapid-ist also, but once the top block BTAS mod is done, its just as secure as the old tractor.

Mine has been apart at least a million times with all the modifications and cerakoting etc, but when you put it all back together it still hits what you point it at with a boring monotony....I swear sometimes I can hear it shout "Gleichschaltung" and "Sieg Heil" as it voices encouragement to the pellets mid flight
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Honestly, just get the top of the block drilled and tapped and all is well.

I am a rapid-ist also, but once the top block BTAS mod is done, its just as secure as the old tractor.

Mine has been apart at least a million times with all the modifications and cerakoting etc, but when you put it all back together it still hits what you point it at with a boring monotony....I swear sometimes I can hear it shout "Gleichschaltung" and "Sieg Heil" as it voices encouragement to the pellets mid flight
    That’s the route buddy

5mins with an angle grinder Pete

In all seriousness just needs the knuckles freeing off and plenty of spit and polish in all the right places plus as they omitted the delrin insert on the 30 unlike the 99s a good choice would be to add some delrin to the cocking arm
    I'll have a look when I get the time.

Pete

I like my 98, twangs like good un.
    Needs new guide.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

What's that, Nick moaning about Weihrauchs again, must be Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    I like my 98, twangs like good un.
    Needs new guide.
    Must admit Neil, I do have a soft spot for the 98

Strangely many a previous Herman springer that twanged like a banjo actually shot rather really nice

Maybe the twang just adds character