Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Love/hate relationship with Weihrauch

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Up View Post
    What's that, Nick moaning about Weihrauchs again, must be Friday
    Haha I did say I don’t want to be outright negative from the start but I know I’m not alone with my thoughts

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I decided to buy a tuned XS20 once and it came in a CS700 stock, I thought it was great until I compared it to a Vmach kitted 95, the quality difference was considerable, even though the 20 had the HW trigger blade conversion and other HW bits fitted as well.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Haha I did say I don’t want to be outright negative from the start but I know I’m not alone with my thoughts
    Just pulling your leg.

If I dont like HWs, how about one of those fancy new Cometas in a laminate stock, more your cup of tea??

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Up View Post
    Just pulling your leg.

If I dont like HWs, how about one of those fancy new Cometas in a laminate stock, more your cup of tea??
    It’s more a love/hate thing with wineracks Deano.

I can’t dismiss Weihrauchs are super bits of kit it’s just I’m very hard to please

If I had the perfect rifle hand built for me I’d still find something I don’t like about it

Cometas have always been my dark horse I really like them but I wouldn’t buy anything new

Well unless Sheila and Claire give me some good news

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Cor Weihrauchs really do my nut in

Don’t want to be outright negative so it’s very much love/hate am I alone is this thought process or anyone else suffering weihrauchitus

For eg.

Springers:

HW30 obviously love the trigger (rekord versions), love the sweet shooting experience but my god is the rifle flawed and riddled with the usual hateful niggles.

HW99s pretty much as above

HW95 on paper pretty much perfect obvious love for the trigger etc but my god what a hateful shooting experience the most annoying springer to get a nice shot cycle with especially calming that well known hold sensitivity for the sub 12 boys & girls.

HW80 the Daddy much love in every aspect however as we all know sub 12 it’s such a waste of ooomph and being on tick over with that lethargic shot cycle is boring as heck like having a car constantly in limp home mode.

HW77/97 probably IMO the cream of the crop not many negatives at all but usually a little tickle with some spit and polish is certainly needed for that out the box unfinished kick it out the door quick accountants examples

Now the elephant in the room my latest HW100

Owned loads of them but never really gelled no matter what guise be it 101 100 full length and karbine, fister or Sporter variants.

I love many other aspects though like the trigger, mag system and side lever etc.

After some tinkering, I’m even starting to like the split block and the internals setup but my biggest gripe is that barrel security.

Now I’m from the oldschool thought process of a fully floating barrel should be absolutely pukka eg you could do chin ups on a rapid barrel but my oh my I have zero confidence doing the usual floating the barrel stuff on a 100 without beefing up the breech block area eg modification required with additional grub screws through the top.

Yes I know it’s controversial but I know plenty of tuners who agree with that method.

Meh……feel a tad better now so I’ll end on a positive my biggest love though for Weihrauchs is certainly the spares availability for sure even the 100 is so easy with every part available if ever needed not to mention so many after market suppliers now that is probably the biggest positive going
    Hw100 barrel. Your talking nonsense. The HW100, even with the single angled grubscrew has been flawless in my rifle and it was made free floating from day 1. It has no fig 8s at all. It has been a main HFT and a hunting gun and taken some hard use and has never missed a beat. Its had the barrel whacked a few times without any shift as its a decent diameter andcwell seated. Ask an S400 to take the same whack and no way will it hit what its aimed at until you unlock the fig 8.

The only issue is if you get too aggressive tightening when it can impact on magazine insertion and removal and rotation. Thats it. If it isnt done up enough, it might spin... C'supreeeee and thats an easy fix too.

If its a big beef for you then I believe you can put another grub screw into the action. Never gone there as totally not required.

I totally disagree with your beef. Storm in a teacup imho. I cant comment on the Springer side as they are hateful things and I wont touch them
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Hw100 barrel. Your talking nonsense. The HW100, even with the single angled grubscrew has been flawless in my rifle and it was made free floating from day 1. It has no fig 8s at all. It has been a main HFT and a hunting gun and taken some hard use and has never missed a beat. Its had the barrel whacked a few times without any shift as its a decent diameter andcwell seated. Ask an S400 to take the same whack and no way will it hit what its aimed at until you unlock the fig 8.

The only issue is if you get too aggressive tightening when it can impact on magazine insertion and removal and rotation. Thats it. If it isnt done up enough, it might spin... C'supreeeee and thats an easy fix too.

If its a big beef for you then I believe you can put another grub screw into the action. Never gone there as totally not required.

I totally disagree with your beef. Storm in a teacup imho. I cant comment on the Springer side as they are hateful things and I wont touch them
    I certainly disagree bud,

Many a tuner and engineer have felt the need to add extra security to the barrel on the 100.

It’s nothing new we are talking decades ago.

I’ve noticed it before on many previous versions and even when non gorilla nipped up to just stop any spinning when you deflect the barrel it’s obvious that there is still movement especially on full length versions.

It’s one of my biggest bugbears with any pcp which runs a barrel band setup as I do not like any influences that can shift POI

Hence for me to fully float this barrel I’m not happy with how much deflection it has in OEM guise

Nope. Never had this issue at all. Whack in some more grub screws but it isnt necessary imho

I have found the 100 to be very resiliant indeed as is. Many a time I have tapped the barrel ( I do a lot of vehicle shooting) so contacting doors or such happens. Never had a single shift in zero. The barrel is a decent diameter unlike the S400 garden cane for example and the mounting is deep and certainly robust in the field. In fairness, the omly rifle that shifted POI i ever had was a GML S400. Most others have been fine. If you want to over engineer then no issue but as is it is not a common problem. I have seen a mate use his S400 as a pogo stick at a HFT when he slipped but even then, releasingvthe fig 8 brought it back near to original zero. He did rezero afterwards but the POI was a small shift
    Last edited by Steyr; 03-12-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Nope. Never had this issue at all. Whack in some more grub screws but it isnt necessary imh

Inhave found the 100 to be very resiliant indeed as is. Many a time I have tapped the nartel ( I do a lot of vehicle shooting) so contacting doors or such happens. Neverchad a single shift in zero
    Out of interest Steyr,

Is your experience mainly K or with full lengths?

What’s brought this up is on my full length even just standing the rifle in the cabinet it’s extremely obvious there is barrel movement even with the interference fit OEM barrel band and o ring still in situ.

Which makes me wonder why it’s actually fitted in the first place.

The OEM grubscrew is nipped up and I’m aware go too tight and it can cause breech issues so it’s literally small end of Allen key nipped up as per the usual advice just enough to stop any spinning from the usual stuck silencer routine which usually is what upsets them.

But it does not give me any confidence to do a full free floating barrel knowing that the barrel has slight movement.

It’s not a biggy and don’t get me wrong as you mention maybe a storm in a teacup but from many other threads and searches I’ve noticed quite a few back in the day did the extra grubscrew(s) modification for this exact problem.

Maybe I just have a particularly sloppy example or it becomes more obvious once a barrel has ever been spun or removed and refitted etc.

I’m a big fan of Weihrauch’s had a 97K for over a decade now. Had it tuned about 5 years ago which improved accuracy a tad and damped the twanging.

I’ve had HW35’s as a lad, 77’s, but the 97k is a solid stalwart for me and as you say the cream of the crop.

It could be a one off. I have never had any barrel movement and my rifle has no barrel band - fig 8 or modified singles. Its of some age... one of the last before they were fitted with ATs. Its a .177 sporter ratworked and a adj butt and cheekpeice.

It doesnt spin. The mod can be removed with ease and nipped up tight with no issue. Mag system works fine othervthan when I overtightened but easily corrected.

If you are getting ANY movement in the barrel its is not the norm. If its in warranty, then get it back. If not, then maybe a gunsmith to ID what is wrong.

I dont know if you have any other mates with a 100 but if you do, maybe a barrel swap even if only to see if the wobble moves from one rifle action to the other. Then put their barrel onto yours to see if the wobble stays with your action which suggests its an issue with your action or if it swaps and the other barrel stays solid then it suggests the machining on you barrel has an issue.

In all my time I have shot with fellow 100 users, I have not come across this issue in real life other than ignorance on the part of the user. Its always helpful to mark the barrel at the 12 oclock mark so the barrel goes in the same orientarion.

I sometimes take the barrel out to clean it more easily and I don't even recall any significant POI shift either....

Just buy an Air Arms
    In the old days just buy a Theoben.

A heck of a lot of HWs have been sold. Most would benefit from a light fettle tune, and then they are rather good.
    I only own one, a fully tuned 95.
    New ones aren't getting better as the years go by.

It could be a one off. I have never had any barrel movement and my rifle has no barrel band - fig 8 or modified singles. Its of some age... one of the last before they were fitted with ATs. Its a .177 sporter ratworked and a adj butt and cheekpeice.

It doesnt spin. The mod can be removed with ease and nipped up tight with no issue. Mag system works fine othervthan when I overtightened but easily corrected.

If you are getting ANY movement in the barrel its is not the norm. If its in warranty, then get it back. If not, then maybe a gunsmith to ID what is wrong.

I dont know if you have any other mates with a 100 but if you do, maybe a barrel swap even if only to see if the wobble moves from one rifle action to the other. Then put their barrel onto yours to see if the wobble stays with your action which suggests its an issue with your action or if it swaps and the other barrel stays solid then it suggests the machining on you barrel has an issue.

In all my time I have shot with fellow 100 users, I have not come across this issue in real life other than ignorance on the part of the user. Its always helpful to mark the barrel at the 12 oclock mark so the barrel goes in the same orientarion.

I sometimes take the barrel out to clean it more easily and I don't even recall any significant POI shift either....
    Cheers Steyr,

No it’s a 2016 model year so well out of warranty and was a used purchase.

I can’t see any signs of abuse just the usual scenario where the silencer had locked up tight and a previous owner tried to remove it which spun the barrel.

Seen this happen on a few previous examples before as the telltale being the HC serial number not being lined up in its usual place etc.

Usually though a simple tweek on the single factory grubscrew has been all that’s needed before but they were on K versions as I’ve not usually gone down the full length barrel route.

I think being the longer barrel it’s exaggerated what I can feel with this current example which has hardly had any use it’s been sat unused by previous owner for quite sometime but as mentioned it’s no real biggy just annoying which led me onto the extra security method for the barrel etc.

I honestly can’t see it as a problem gun just more one that needs a tad more belt and braces for me to be 100% confident with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Just buy an Air Arms
    In the old days just buy a Theoben.

A heck of a lot of HWs have been sold. Most would benefit from a light fettle tune, and then they are rather good.
    I only own one, a fully tuned 95.
    New ones aren't getting better as the years go by.
    Must admit Muskett, I really do miss not having a rapid

Stooopid boy cutting many a decent rapid loose

AA are decent been around the houses many times but nothing really floats my boat with them at the minute.

I agree about new stuff though sadly now the world is run by accountants the only interest from a manufacture is getting your money QT and the customer doing the R&D as the test mule

Long gone are the days where QC was actually a thing.

Is it the barrel wobbling or is it the mod.

One issue I found is the bed of the stock may not be flat
    A lot is milled out so my stock was folled and levelled.

I only use the main stock screw to hold the action in and I noticex it was rocking.

Bit of attention and rocking sorted

Is it the barrel wobbling or is it the mod.

One issue I found is the bed of the stock may not be flat
    A lot is milled out so my stock was folled and levelled.

I only use the main stock screw to hold the action in and I noticex it was rocking.

Bit of attention and rocking sorted
    It’s definitely barrel movement,

Currently the silencer is removed and if I lean the rifle up in my cabinet I can clearly feel what I would call flex in the barrel setup.

And that’s with the original barrel band and o ring fitted.

I’ll test it tomorrow with the o ring removed from the barrel band but I’m pretty sure even with that extra mm clearance the barrel will hit the band with its movement.

I have to assume Weihrauch fit these interference barrel bands for 3 reasons.

1) It’s extra support
    2) harmonics
    3) to protect against barrel knocks

But as the comp boys know once any movement from the stock/cylinder comes into play this can and does affect POI shifts with the band connecting to the barrel (o ring fitted etc)

My issue is I simply don’t think the barrel is secure enough to be 100% floated ok it’s not going anywhere as in being pulled out the breech etc but that movement is just pi$$ poor IMO