Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Love/hate relationship with Weihrauch

Stop being nasty, Nick.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Stop being nasty, Nick.
    Good to be back Tone

Meh you know I love the good old wineracks really

but I do get fed up with the sun shines out there bleeding backsides when in my experiences it ruddy well doesn’t

Take all the shit off and just focus on the barrel and action.

This is not typical.

Mine is rock solid.

As I say, try and see if another hw100 user is willong to switch amd assess if the problem moves with the barrel or stays with the action
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Take all the shit off and just focus on the barrel and action.

This is not typical.

Mine is rock solid.

As I say, try and see if another hw100 user is willong to switch amd assess if the problem moves with the barrel or stays with the action
    Will do Steyr,

It’s in for a weekend of fettling, so I’ll go through it all with a fine tooth comb.

As I mentioned earlier though the many others including tuners and engineers have gone down the extra support route hence it can’t be the only 100 out there that’s felt to have needed some extra belt and braces.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Will do Steyr,

It’s in for a weekend of fettling, so I’ll go through it all with a fine tooth comb.

As I mentioned earlier though the many others including tuners and engineers have gone down the extra support route hence it can’t be the only 100 out there that’s felt to have needed some extra belt and braces.
    True but as I have shot with many 100 users over the years I have never come across a real life 100 user with this issue.

Tuners whole reason to exist is to improve stuff, even if it aint necessarily broke. So just coz someone says its so doesnt mean it is.

Ask different engineers for a solution and you can pretty much guarantee that they will go different routes. So one engineer saying you need another grub screw or 2 doesnt mean you do. That said, if something is out of whack, then this might be a viable fix. To answer that, you need to know what the problem is.

Out of thousands of rifles made, of course there will be some that dont make tolerance or have an issue. Its the nature of the game.

Doesnt mean you have to accept it or do nothing about it or apply the correct solution

My daystate was a bitch for jamming. They knew they had a problem, tried a patch solution which didnt help then engineered the fault out.

Regs on a lot of AA pro/target rifles were shite.

FX Impact Mk1s were justifiably slagged coz bean counters forced it to market too early.

BSA R10 Mk 1s were shite.... mk2s generally sorted. Even then, John Bowkett got many back to blue print... mental.

AirArms still cant screw cut a barrel...... and use shitty grub screws..... etc. etc. etc.

Bigger picture. Just coz you got a wobbly one doesnt mean its a huge issue coz it isnt.

True but as I have shot with many 100 users over the years I have never come across a real life 100 user with this issue.

Tuners whole reason to exist is to improve stuff, even if it aint necessarily broke. So just coz someone says its so doesnt mean it is.

Ask different engineers for a solution and you can pretty much guarantee that they will go different routes. So one engineer saying you need another grub screw or 2 doesnt mean you do. That said, if something is out of whack, then this might be a viable fix. To answer that, you need to know what the problem is.

Out of thousands of rifles made, of course there will be some that dont make tolerance or have an issue. Its the nature of the game.

Doesnt mean you have to accept it or do nothing about it or apply the correct solution

My daystate was a bitch for jamming. They knew they had a problem, tried a patch solution which didnt help then engineered the fault out.

Regs on a lot of AA pro/target rifles were shite.

FX Impact Mk1s were justifiably slagged coz bean counters forced it to market too early.

BSA R10 Mk 1s were shite.... mk2s generally sorted. Even then, John Bowkett got many back to blue print... mental.

AirArms still cant screw cut a barrel...... and use shitty grub screws..... etc. etc. etc.

Bigger picture. Just coz you got a wobbly one doesnt mean its a huge issue coz it isnt.
    Appreciate all that Steyr,

Yes many many setups do have flaws and the like.

Been there got the T-shirt with many of them.

Ironically though I was well aware of the spinning barrel and the known barrel band floating issues on 100’s but until recently I didn’t actually know tuners and engineers had actually done the extra grub screw breech block modifications etc.

The 100 has always been a rifle I’ve not paid that much attention to.

As I mentioned though those pcps with barrel band supports have never really appealed as I prefer a full on floated very secure barrel which might also be a contributor as to what I expect and perceive how secure a barrel should be etc.

I don’t know much about Weihrauch springers but I’ve had a few HW100 variants. I’ve always free floated the barrel just because it looks so much better and I’ve never had a problem with accuracy or consistency.
    I think the tuners that say an extra grubscrew is required are saying that because they get paid for an extra grubscrew.
    Much the same as the one’s that say the two halves of the action move independently of each other. Just utter rubbish in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
    I don’t know much about Weihrauch springers but I’ve had a few HW100 variants. I’ve always free floated the barrel just because it looks so much better and I’ve never had a problem with accuracy or consistency.
    I think the tuners that say an extra grubscrew is required are saying that because they get paid for an extra grubscrew.
    Much the same as the one’s that say the two halves of the action move independently of each other. Just utter rubbish in my experience.
    Hi Filbert,

Thanks for your input.

To be honest buddy adding a grubscrew is going to cost me practically zero as it’s not exactly something difficult to do or implement.

Ok granted others might not be comfortable stripping and prepping a rifle and may well want to follow the sales patter.

I do agree about the split block though as I can’t really see it being any concern although we are going back years when folks started to use one piece scope mounts claiming there was an issue.

Appreciate all that Steyr,

Yes many many setups do have flaws and the like.

Been there got the T-shirt with many of them.

Ironically though I was well aware of the spinning barrel and the known barrel band floating issues on 100’s but until recently I didn’t actually know tuners and engineers had actually done the extra grub screw breech block modifications etc.

The 100 has always been a rifle I’ve not paid that much attention to.

As I mentioned though those pcps with barrel band supports have never really appealed as I prefer a full on floated very secure barrel which might also be a contributor as to what I expect and perceive how secure a barrel should be etc.
    My barrel had all the fig 8s removed day 1. The barrel is as tough as old boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
    Yes, I agree. I confess I didnt think the two part action was a good idea but its never been an issue.

Well my Steyr had two different metals in its action. And that would take our 50 yard staples when I did my bit. Naysayers said it would be a big problem. Bollocks more like

Well my Steyr had two different metals in its action. And that would take our 50 yard staples when I did my bit. Naysayers said it would be a big problem. Bollocks more like
    Always wanted to try a Steyr, Steyr

Very much on my radar

Yep echoed Rob

The 57 would turn the thread completely sour IJ

The 90 is probably the best rammer available as it has half a chance with an acceptable trigger
    My chopped '57 .22 Karbine (Its German innit) is not bad

Always wanted to try a Steyr, Steyr

Very much on my radar
    Yeah. Mine was one of the first 12 FPE ones that came into the UK. it had the Barley Twist CHF barrel too.

Best trigger I have used and I like light triggers.

I just didnt use it and I didnt get on with it for HFT or hunting as accurate as it was. Barry McGraw made a mod out of the bloop tube the 10 meter boys used for a sight extension. Quiet as hell

An older '77 all day long. Shoot, wipe down, put away (repeat, repeat, .....). And a doddle to work on if needs be. It'll be the last one to go.

I agree with Muskett though. The newer Weihrauchs aren't getting any better so I can see why some folk question them.

Given they've been making their boingers since Moses was a boy I'd have thought customer feedback combined with in-house refinements would mean that by now every one leaving the factory should be 99.9% perfect out of the box. No twang, no galling, soooper smooth.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.