Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who are the Best and Worst Air Rifle Makers when something goes wrong ??

Who are the Best and Worst Air Rifle Makers when something goes wrong ??

We all know some makers never make / send out a 'duff' rifle lol hilarious - cos even car makers, boiler makers, camera makers, everyone who manufactures takes it on the chin from time to time- but we all know airgun makers are a bit 'special' in this way

So who are the Best and Worst ??

I haven't had to have any dealings with rifle makers direct for ages, but local shops tell me BSA are very good on customer service. I will add that's a good job because the last two BSA pcp's I bought new didn't hit 10ftlb with heavies .... fortunately they went to JB to be sorted anyway

Anyway - cmon folks share ! Lets not get mixed up with pointless posts about 'back to retailer' - we all know consumer laws, lets hear what brands leave one feeling confident and looked after, and which leave one, well, wondering .....
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Diana Germany - Pre buy out once replaced a barrel on a break barrel as barrel was not set in block straight and said ' sorry' - I was impressed by this, it only came to my attention when mounting a scope after owning for quite a while. Note - they said not in block straight, not bent by use / transport - like I said, impressive !

A little bit off target (no pun) Hull Cartridge Co regarding hw'S ARE TERRIBLE.
    So terrible I left the cap lock on..... :-(
    I bought a new HW97 from a local gun shop.It twanged like a broken 1940's bed base when fired.
    Even on pulling the loading lever down it twinged.
    The customer service f 2 f was below anything Ive ever encountered. The sales manager told me that ''this is what Hw's are like now''.
    I probably had airguns whilst he was in junior school.
    I then bought a new 95 the one with the silencer.This was even worse. HCC said if I wanted it sorting they offered a ''tuning service'' £.
    I sold it on cheap with the buyer being aware.
    Hw's from the 1980's 90's are superb,even out of the box.Nowadays I think it's AA that are like that now.
    HW 77K .22,Gammo Hornet .22 BSA 3-9 x 50 Night light ,HW 40 .177,Gamo Maxxim Elite .22 multi shot, Beeman P17 .177 red dot sight ,SMK CP2 co2 with Hawk 3-9 x 50.Slingshots PPMG+TTF PPMG mk 2 ott PPMG ott Original custom made solid Bronze, Number 15 of 20

Chinese and Turkish are pretty good. Spares are difficult or non existant for the budget models.

Hull cartridge are excellent for Weirauch issues in my experience.

BSA are very good but I believe a bit of a backlog at the moment.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

My own personal experiences with manufactures and importers as thus;

Air Arms - never needed anything repairing but always very helpful with dating rifles and good for a bit of email banter regarding the elusive new Break barrel

BSA - never needed anything repairing but did have a set of BSA scopemaster mounts that were a bit dodgy contacted bsa and they were very helpful and sent me a free set of mounts and told me to keep the old mounts excellent service.

Daystate - bought a huntsman classic when they first came out I wasn’t the original owner but the rifle wasn’t even a year old and had a bad valve leak. Angie and Tony B were brilliant I dropped it off at there old factory went on holiday for a week came back to the factory and collected said rifle all fixed free of charge. Excellent service.

Hull Cartridge - never needed anything repairing but had to contact them when needing a bit of advice they were excellent answered all my questions and even helped my son out with a school project where he needed to know a timeline of Weihrauch models.

Theoben - needed a few bits and bobs usual story with frosty knickers and the abrupt phone conversations but never had any real issues and problems got resolved etc

Weihrauch sport - never needed anything repairing but always happy to answer email requests for dating products accurately with serial numbers etc although I did contact them about a really nasty HW30 a good few years back they never actually replied.

Those off the top of my head probably more to come

Quote Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
    A little bit off target (no pun) Hull Cartridge Co regarding hw'S ARE TERRIBLE.
    So terrible I left the cap lock on..... :-(
    I bought a new HW97 from a local gun shop.It twanged like a broken 1940's bed base when fired.
    Even on pulling the loading lever down it twinged.
    The customer service f 2 f was below anything Ive ever encountered. The sales manager told me that ''this is what Hw's are like now''.
    I probably had airguns whilst he was in junior school.
    I then bought a new 95 the one with the silencer.This was even worse. HCC said if I wanted it sorting they offered a ''tuning service'' £.
    I sold it on cheap with the buyer being aware.
    Hw's from the 1980's 90's are superb,even out of the box.Nowadays I think it's AA that are like that now.
    I have just had the same trouble with a bent barrel on a brand new 95, after being told it was my 3 scopes that were at fault they finally took it back and straightened the barrel. the gun does shoot right even now but it was the down right insults from a guy called Chris at HC that made me decide I will never buy another Weihrauch again.

It looks like HCC have had a word with themselves.
    It doesn't change the way the new HW's are being sent to the dealers.
    I remember a Mr Dave Allen @HCC he was a real nice helpful chap.
    The new guy is a bit like marmite...
    HW 77K .22,Gammo Hornet .22 BSA 3-9 x 50 Night light ,HW 40 .177,Gamo Maxxim Elite .22 multi shot, Beeman P17 .177 red dot sight ,SMK CP2 co2 with Hawk 3-9 x 50.Slingshots PPMG+TTF PPMG mk 2 ott PPMG ott Original custom made solid Bronze, Number 15 of 20

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    BSA - repaired faulty magazine for an old Goldstar springer and sent a new spare as well. Free of charge except for posting the knackered mag there.

BSA - replaced faulty valve etc in secondhand Firebird PCP. Free of charge except for post there.

Polite and brilliant service.

Quote Originally Posted by S Teyr View Post
    I have just had the same trouble with a bent barrel on a brand new 95, after being told it was my 3 scopes that were at fault they finally took it back and straightened the barrel. the gun does shoot right even now but it was the down right insults from a guy called Chris at HC that made me decide I will never buy another Weihrauch again.
    I’ve never heard HW admit they made a mistake, with anything ………ever

SMK !
    Although their products can be made excellent, try to get them to repair or replace anything, or even speak to you .

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I’ve never heard HW admit they made a mistake, with anything ………ever
    True in my experience with an HW100. It was returned due to inability to group better than approx 12mm at 27yds. Got it back and told nothing was wrong with it. HCC even supplied a paper target showing four tight cloverleaf holes shot at 25m with different pellets. I was confused, until I realised they had changed the silencer - how do I know? the original one had a mark in the black finish where something had dribbled down it during assembly (it was a point of annoyance that a new gun should have this type of cosmetic defect), but the gun with nothing done to it was returned with a cosmetically perfect silencer!

I'm not suggesting this means all HW's are bad, but I am questioning the veracity of the feedback on work undertaken.

I've not had to return an Air Arms, Daystate, Diana or BSA, so cannot comment on them... except, well, I've not had to return an Air Arms, Daystate, Diana or BSA!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    hang on, just let me get this straight....

Are you saying that if something is wrong with your airgun, you can ask a distributor / manufacturer to fix it, rather than just take it apart in your shed ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    hang on, just let me get this straight....

Are you saying that if something is wrong with your airgun, you can ask a distributor / manufacturer to fix it, rather than just take it apart in your shed ?
    It has to be actually malfunctioning, not falling short of it's full potential. They don't have sheds so can't touch that kind of work. Health and Safety, too many wasps ...

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    We all know some makers never make / send out a 'duff' rifle lol hilarious - cos even car makers, boiler makers, camera makers, everyone who manufactures takes it on the chin from time to time- but we all know airgun makers are a bit 'special' in this way

So who are the Best and Worst ??

I haven't had to have any dealings with rifle makers direct for ages, but local shops tell me BSA are very good on customer service. I will add that's a good job because the last two BSA pcp's I bought new didn't hit 10ftlb with heavies .... fortunately they went to JB to be sorted anyway

Anyway - cmon folks share ! Lets not get mixed up with pointless posts about 'back to retailer' - we all know consumer laws, lets hear what brands leave one feeling confident and looked after, and which leave one, well, wondering .....
    Only ever sent one airgun back, it was an 80 to HCC about 20 years ago as I was not familiar with HW break barrels at the time, I was used to Diana's with their metal-to-metal breech to cylinder so when I see that the 80 had an 8 thou gap I thought it was wrong So after a phone call HCC sent a van to pick up my 80 free of charge and when I phoned them, they assured me that it was normal but as I still wasn't satisfied, they agreed to send me a replacement and sent it back free of charge and it was a really nice one that I still have today with the 8 thou gap
    So, five stars for their customer service back then

14 Years ago, I bought my TX and after I dismantled it and found that the spring guide was loose, I phoned AA and was surprised that they said if I just send the spring and guide back to them, they would look at it even though I had dismantled a new gun, but I ended up getting a V-Mach kit but they still sent me some lever buffers, so again five-star customer service

Admittedly not mass production but a manufacturer all the same, Shaun Hill of ISP is most helpful and accommodating.
    I've witnessed him taking calls at all hours, undertaking work at a minutes notice and taking time to inform people how to fix/improve rifles that aren't even his, or contain elements of his work.
    I know I'm going to be considered biased but credit must be given where it's due.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation