Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hw97 k v tx200 hc

hw97 k v tx200 hc

many years ago i had a hw97k which loved very accurate never let me down, restarting the sport been told to try the tx200 hc i love the pro sprt but dont really want pay those prices for a leftie, tx200 does lok better than hw97 but does it shoot better
    thanks

Hi Mick and a very warm welcome.

You're looking at two of the very finest spring rifles. Both well made, very accurate, with excellent triggers and both have their devoted fans.

It really is down to personal choice, dictated by balance, feel and how you think each suits your style.

The TX has more "modern" features, like synthetic bearings on the piston. It also has the central transfer port which, theoretically, may make it more efficient. But then the 77/97 has a shorter port which many regard as being a good thing. And many prefer the styling of the 77/97 in that breech area with the barrel sitting a few mm higher. The TX is usually the more refined of the two out of the box. But, again, quite a few of the more recent HWs have also displayed nice firing cycles out of the box. And a tune to make it even more refined, if desired, is easily accessed.

Try and get to a club, if possible, where you might be able to try a few of each. If not, a well-stocked shop, especially one with even a short range, where you can try, would be good.

Personal preferences come into it. I have three 77s, two 97s and a TX HC. If I were having to choose just the one, it would be the HW......FOR ME.. Many others will opt for the TX........
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Another leftie consideration the 97 is truly ambidextrous as the breach hole can be loaded from either side. So getting/trying one (and possibly resale later on) is easier than the tx. As a cheap 97 appeared I had a punt on it, like it but does go off with a thump!

Hi Dan and a very warm welcome to you, too.

Great to hear you're liking the 97. You might just get used to the "thump". Or you might choose to tune it. Lots of options to go at. The one I'd most pursue is fitting a V-Mach kit which Lyn Lewington, "venoman" on the BBS, may still have available.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

TX in either HC or full length gets my vote, they can be got to order in left hand (there was one for sale secondhand on here recently, I don't recall whether it sold or not)

Trying an HW will be easier as they have an ambi stock - I've tried one recently side by side with my TX, and there wasn't a single twinge of "I wish I'd got an HW instead of the TX"

it's personal preference , i have a full length tx200 mk3 but i prefer a 77/97k just something about the tx i dont like , infact ive just ordered a 97kt and will be moving the tx on
    BSA SUPERSPORT .22
    Ripley ar5s .177
    Steyr challenge hft 177 SYWELL FT CLUB

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    As been said it's Personal preference but just be aware that the HW does not have a proper ABT and there have been rare accidents with the 77 if you look at the pictures of chopped thumbs it makes you think why take the small risk
    https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...-Are-they-safe

(HW fit ABT's please)

having a 97 before i liked the way it handled, but the tx hc has the look and with a little few upgrades probably shoots just as good

I have a hw97 but never had a tx200 but I have heard out the box the tx200 is the best but once the hw97 is fettled then the hw97 is better

Quote Originally Posted by walkaboutmick View Post
    many years ago i had a hw97k which loved very accurate never let me down, restarting the sport been told to try the tx200 hc i love the pro sprt but dont really want pay those prices for a leftie, tx200 does lok better than hw97 but does it shoot better
    thanks
    If you want to play around with stroke, piston weight etc for tuning the TX is easier to work on.
    If you just want to do do an easy "tune" with better guides and lubrication, I find the HW to be a better gun.
    Too many airguns!

I've got a 97, 77 full length and a 77k , The 77k us my favourite, I passed my TX hc and prosport on,

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I have, or have had, at least one of everything, my TX hasn't been out of it's box for ages, and I feel no need to bother it.

I do love my 97 though

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Kevmcc View Post
    I have a hw97 but never had a tx200 but I have heard out the box the tx200 is the best but once the hw97 is fettled then the hw97 is better
    How better though..??
    Not more accurate ,smoother or a better trigger.
    Had both, sold the tuned 97k and the TXHC and bought the full length .177 TX this year..
    I wouldnt swap it for a 97k as it suits me better.
    Pretty much the same thing once fitted in a Target stock.
    Bog std action in a CS1000 and it shoots exceptionally well
    for a spring gun.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    How better though..??
    I find the shorter stroke of the HW77/97 to be easier to set up for good performance,
    and that makes a difference for people not willing or able to do a lot of work.
    The TX is theoretically better with its synthetic piston bearing and som other less "insdustrial" design elements,
    but its very much down to personal preference.
    Too many airguns!

Interesting reading, I’m a massive fan of the 97k. Tuned it is as good as printer as you can get !