Thread: Are there any risks from handling lead pellets?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If you've heard the term mad as a hatter, this comes from the hat making trade where people were in contact with chemicals containing lead everyday they went to work, eventually going mad.

It's all cumulative.

I personally don't worry about handling lead pellets. I do wash my hands before eating. Although I do recall down the range when mince pies were being handed out not actually washing my hands first.

It is said lead makes your hair fall out but I don't believe it.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

People who handle lead at work are given Milk to drink. This is supposed to prevent the lead being absorbed by the body.

If melting scap lead, do it outdoors, not in the kitchen!

Hatters used Mercury, it was the fumes from this that caused their problems.

Ah yes, thank you for my correction.
    Must be all the lead in my brain from handling pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    If you've heard the term mad as a hatter, this comes from the hat making trade where people were in contact with chemicals containing lead everyday they went to work, eventually going mad.

It's all cumulative.

I personally don't worry about handling lead pellets. I do wash my hands before eating. Although I do recall down the range when mince pies were being handed out not actually washing my hands first.

It is said lead makes your hair fall out but I don't believe it.
    I think it was mercury not lead
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Years ago I was told that some lead workers or those whose jobs involved handling lead would drink large quantities of milk. If I remember correctly they thought it could be of benefit by "flushing lead out of their system" . I think they thought that if they drank two or three pints a day it would offer some protection against lead poisoning. I've no idea where the idea that milk would help protect them came from or indeed what evidence there was at the time to suggest it worked. Maybe it was anecdotal, I just dont know where the idea came from.

My thoughts..rely on safe handling protocol to avoid it getting into the system in the first place.

Yes there are obviously risks, but good hygiene and common sense should mean they're minimised / negated, by shooters.

In the early 90's I used to work in a lead foundry, as a caster. After a 12 hour shift, all the workers were black, head to toe.
    It was a sackable offence to smoke on the site, due to the risk of ingesting lead. Every smoker could be identified at the end of the shift, by their clean lips.
    SOme at the highest risk of exposure, had to have their bloods monitored regularly and rotated off certain jobs due to the high health risk.
    This situation, with 60 hours exposure to lead per week (and more for some), is still manageable.

So just be sensible and wash your hands.
    B.A.S.C. member

Came across this whilst trawling the net on an unrelated subject (broken springs actually).

37. Physicians must understand that air-weapon pellets carry a propensity to embolize once in the bloodstream.34,39 (The old fear of lead poisoning from a retained air-weapon pellet appears obsolete, as the modern alloy composition of the ammunition does not elevate serum lead levels.

So it would appear lead poisoning from pellets is a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Came across this whilst trawling the net on an unrelated subject (broken springs actually).

37. Physicians must understand that air-weapon pellets carry a propensity to embolize once in the bloodstream.34,39 (The old fear of lead poisoning from a retained air-weapon pellet appears obsolete, as the modern alloy composition of the ammunition does not elevate serum lead levels.

So it would appear lead poisoning from pellets is a myth.
    It would help to know where the quote originates, is it from an independent medical report or a pro shooting lobby ?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    It would help to know where the quote originates, is it from an independent medical report or a pro shooting lobby ?
    Part of the way down this article .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6682219/

More hits here.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=37.+...obile&ie=UTF-8