Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there any risks from handling lead pellets?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    As a smoker lead is the least of your worries

Same as me, as a mechanic I was constantly in contact with used Engine oil (highly carcinogenic), fuels, lubricants, asbestos, exhaust fumes etc.

Popping a few pellets in a rifle now & then isn't going to bother me.
    I know AB it’s a bit of a ironic mess as mentioned with not just the smoking but being in contact with everything else you mentioned but strange as it sounds it has made me think about it today.

Now do I keep my indoor pellet trap indoors or stick it back in the asbestos garage

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Thought it was.

Think it did for a few metal decorators too....there was a dangerous guilding process that used gold & mercury.
    Mercury was used in gold mining and still is in some countries.

In mines, mercury is used to recover minute pieces of gold that is mixed in soil and sediments. Mercury and gold settle and combine together to form an amalgam. Gold is then extracted by vaporizing the mercury. ... Prolonged and high exposure to mercury by inhalation damages the nervous, digestive, and immune systems.
    Last edited by bighit; 06-12-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Mercury was used in gold mining and still is in some countries.

In mines, mercury is used to recover minute pieces of gold that is mixed in soil and sediments. Mercury and gold settle and combine together to form an amalgam. Gold is then extracted by vaporizing the mercury. ... Prolonged and high exposure to mercury by inhalation damages the nervous, digestive, and immune systems.
    Cyanide is also used in gold mining, particularly useful in heap leach operation for dissolving gold out of otherwise low grade ore that could not achieve viable recovery by other methods.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Cyanide is also used in gold mining, particularly useful in heap leach operation for dissolving gold out of otherwise low grade ore that could not achieve viable recovery by other methods.
    Thanks for the info.

I only knew about Mercury as I watch Goldrush ( yes I know its scripted) and Parker went to a country to try and find gold there and the peoe he found in a mine set up used Mercury .

I think that oils used on guns and pellets are more of a risk. It is a good idea to also wash your hands before going to the toilet. Testicular cancer is a big problem with mechanics.

Real firearms are a much bigger risk than airguns. The primers contain lead compounds and powdered glass.

Lets face it life is risk.

The application of common sense means we can manage that risk, from something as simple as looking before crossing a road upwards.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Mmmm....Holy crap, as kids before we got a bit wise, when out fishing we used to pinch lead split shot on the line with our teeth. In the school lab we used to stir mercury with our finger for the sensation of it being so different - absolutely mad.

In the early days of steam locomotives, there used to be adverts praising the greatness of asbestos, only years later it reveals itself a deadly killer.

Maybe in time, those irreversible nano-plastics entering food and life cycle chains will be a danger for us all in time.

Hell, I am glad I am still around at the moment to communicate on this great forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    If you've heard the term mad as a hatter, this comes from the hat making trade where people were in contact with chemicals containing lead everyday they went to work, eventually going mad.

It's all cumulative.

I personally don't worry about handling lead pellets. I do wash my hands before eating. Although I do recall down the range when mince pies were being handed out not actually washing my hands first.

It is said lead makes your hair fall out but I don't believe it.
    I think it was mercury not lead
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Years ago I was told that some lead workers or those whose jobs involved handling lead would drink large quantities of milk. If I remember correctly they thought it could be of benefit by "flushing lead out of their system" . I think they thought that if they drank two or three pints a day it would offer some protection against lead poisoning. I've no idea where the idea that milk would help protect them came from or indeed what evidence there was at the time to suggest it worked. Maybe it was anecdotal, I just dont know where the idea came from.

My thoughts..rely on safe handling protocol to avoid it getting into the system in the first place.

Yes there are obviously risks, but good hygiene and common sense should mean they're minimised / negated, by shooters.

In the early 90's I used to work in a lead foundry, as a caster. After a 12 hour shift, all the workers were black, head to toe.
    It was a sackable offence to smoke on the site, due to the risk of ingesting lead. Every smoker could be identified at the end of the shift, by their clean lips.
    SOme at the highest risk of exposure, had to have their bloods monitored regularly and rotated off certain jobs due to the high health risk.
    This situation, with 60 hours exposure to lead per week (and more for some), is still manageable.

So just be sensible and wash your hands.
    B.A.S.C. member

Came across this whilst trawling the net on an unrelated subject (broken springs actually).

37. Physicians must understand that air-weapon pellets carry a propensity to embolize once in the bloodstream.34,39 (The old fear of lead poisoning from a retained air-weapon pellet appears obsolete, as the modern alloy composition of the ammunition does not elevate serum lead levels.

So it would appear lead poisoning from pellets is a myth.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Came across this whilst trawling the net on an unrelated subject (broken springs actually).

37. Physicians must understand that air-weapon pellets carry a propensity to embolize once in the bloodstream.34,39 (The old fear of lead poisoning from a retained air-weapon pellet appears obsolete, as the modern alloy composition of the ammunition does not elevate serum lead levels.

So it would appear lead poisoning from pellets is a myth.
    It would help to know where the quote originates, is it from an independent medical report or a pro shooting lobby ?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    It would help to know where the quote originates, is it from an independent medical report or a pro shooting lobby ?
    Part of the way down this article .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6682219/

More hits here.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=37.+...obile&ie=UTF-8

Homicide using an air weapon.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art.../#!po=0.943396

I was looking for an article on springs breaking at the front or the rear and the causes of each, just got a little side tracked.

Always wash your hands after handling pellets, especially before eating.