Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Modern 4x32 offerings anything decent?

Absolutely mate. I love the little optic on that SuperSport of yours.
    I was recently chatting with a seasoned HFT shooter who’s gone back to a ‘simple’ mildot reticle, as opposed to multipoint/MOR style ‘Horus’ rets.
    We agreed that sometimes simplified reticles work better and take away the overthinking element. I think for blatting targets at ranges/Quigley etc, then the simpler the better.

But you and I both know open sights rule over all anyway
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Nice to hear there’s still quite the love for the simple, humble little 4x32’s

I still think there’s a big gap in the market with modern offerings though.

Probably more to do with the en-vogue ethos but there are still plenty of lighter more compact air rifles that are crying out for something simple but excellent quality to plonk on top.

Maybe some have tried though? Simmons springs to mind with the now Chinese new WTC range which means anything rose tinted from Korea or Philippines has a big nostalgia price on its head.

Talking of rose tinted OBG’s

I did actually consider a drive down to kempton at the weekend

But boy is that a long way to go for a bleeding 4x32

Luckily as I’ve had to swap cars around again, I’m back in my Mini Cooper S project car so that’s killed that idea as I hate driving the go kart any further than the local bleeding shops

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Nice to hear there’s still quite the love for the simple, humble little 4x32’s
    My favorite is perhaps a 1990's 432 Hakko I bought second hand and re-parallaxed. It is superb compared to most other small 4x32's.

Come to think of it, I found an old small zeiss 4x at a REALLY good price at a second hand market some years back.. would it be sacrilegious to re-parallax that one?
    Too many airguns!

I have quite a few 4x32's, in fact more scopes than guns to put them on

Swarovski Habicht Nova 4x32
    Leupold 4x33
    Tasgo 4x32 AG
    Walther 4x32
    Hawk 4x32

To name a few
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I picked up the Hawke Vantage PA. Nice looking scope and in isolation, it's clear and bright with quite a fine reticle. AO turns smoothly and evenly. Seems well made.

I waited until late afternoon and it did it performed well enough in the low light. I'll put it up against a couple of proven 4x32's tomorrow and see how it compares.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I picked up the Hawke Vantage PA. Nice looking scope and in isolation, it's clear and bright with quite a fine reticle. AO turns smoothly and evenly. Seems well made.

I waited until late afternoon and it did it performed well enough in the low light. I'll put it up against a couple of proven 4x32's tomorrow and see how it compares.
    I'm looking at buying a Vantage 4x32. How did you find it?

The best scopes I've had have been an old Japanese Nikko Silver Crown 4x32 (fine cross hair) and my current 1990s Nikko Platinum 4x32. For what I do - plinking out to 50 metres - I really don't need anything else. I just wish modern scopes were available with a gloss finish - chalk targets don't get spooked by reflections, unless I'm having a bad day and need an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    I'm looking at buying a Vantage 4x32. How did you find it?
    I have several. One ao version, a number that I have re-focused for specific needs and one that I have left as is.

If you're really picky steer clear of the ready mount versions and you will be pleasantly surprised

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Absolutely mate. I love the little optic on that SuperSport of yours.
    I was recently chatting with a seasoned HFT shooter who’s gone back to a ‘simple’ mildot reticle, as opposed to multipoint/MOR style ‘Horus’ rets.
    We agreed that sometimes simplified reticles work better and take away the overthinking element. I think for blatting targets at ranges/Quigley etc, then the simpler the better.

But you and I both know open sights rule over all anyway
    Sorry Craigy, I hadn't seen this reply earlier.. Just spotted it today after the latest posts.

Yes, you're quite correct, open sights do rule......Can't remember if it was Pete Evans who commented in this month's AGW about the open sights' 1:1 wobble magnification ratio.. Loved it and it's something I've often mentioned, giving confidence. I love the simplicity, solidity and reliability of a good set of opens. So rewarding when you get those longer range shots nailed, too. And I must get hold of some decent "field" peep sights, too.

But, back on track, yep, a basic, simple 4x32 does most of what I need if using optics.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!