Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern 4x32 offerings anything decent?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
    Might not be up to your standards but Nikko sterling do a 4x32 mountmaster, I've a 6-18x50 mountmaster that survived the recoil on an awful old hatsan 55 (not the one with the nice trigger) that would feel like it was shaking my teeth loose after a few shots, scope never moved, so it should live up to the recoil side of things. Mine is clear enough to use at the range out to 80 yards (since moved it onto my HW110).

This wasn't my first answer, first answer was just find a tasco AG!
    Thanks for your input CF

To be honest I’ve got nothing against the mountmaster, I used to run the 6x40AO 1/2 Mildot for quite sometime as it was quite a decent scope at its price point obviously being fixed mag it was fairly bright and it’s not hampered with extra zoom lenses like a 3-9 etc

I certainly wouldn’t rule one out compared to everything else in budget territory.

Ah a lovely 4x32.

I'm lucky to have a Tasco AG one on a 97 and its quite nice. Modern ones:

Hawke Vantage 4x32ao - very good scope and my favourite from this range.

Some one mentioned Sabre. Now then Richter Optik have just released a 3-9x42ao which I have received and is an almost carbon copy of the Sabre of the same specification. There are some differences but if anything its a step up - amazing price of £45 or so. I'm hoping they follow suit with the 2-7x32 and 4x32 as well.

You can still get Airkings on which it is based, but also Norica have branded some scopes which again are exactly the same right down to the rubbish rubber coatings on the knobs and adjusters.

Konus - personally ignore that 7.5ftlbs limit. I've had their 3-9x32ao on my .177 77 for ages and the 3-12x50ao on a fairly sharp .177 80. Both working fine. Very nice glass but the reticle is hair thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    Ah a lovely 4x32.

I'm lucky to have a Tasco AG one on a 97 and its quite nice. Modern ones:

Hawke Vantage 4x32ao - very good scope and my favourite from this range.

Some one mentioned Sabre. Now then Richter Optik have just released a 3-9x42ao which I have received and is an almost carbon copy of the Sabre of the same specification. There are some differences but if anything its a step up - amazing price of £45 or so. I'm hoping they follow suit with the 2-7x32 and 4x32 as well.

You can still get Airkings on which it is based, but also Norica have branded some scopes which again are exactly the same right down to the rubbish rubber coatings on the knobs and adjusters.

Konus - personally ignore that 7.5ftlbs limit. I've had their 3-9x32ao on my .177 77 for ages and the 3-12x50ao on a fairly sharp .177 80. Both working fine. Very nice glass but the reticle is hair thin.
    Cheers for your reply,

The Richter sounds interesting had one that came on a rifle good few years ago and normally it would have been snubbed but it wasn’t that bad to be honest.

I noticed the Norica Air King thing think it was on the Pellpax search earlier but being IR I dismissed it as it’s not something I need and at £109 I thought it was far too much

The Konus might be worth a whirl then as it’s not one I’ve done yet.

I recently bought a Nikon mount master 4x32 from JSR to go on my HW35 when I eventually get it back together!
    It looks to be pretty good , both bright and clear . I’ve got the 6x40 version on a HW95 Ive had for sometime and it’s been great too.

Quote Originally Posted by randl View Post
    I recently bought a Nikon mount master 4x32 from JSR to go on my HW35 when I eventually get it back together!
    It looks to be pretty good , both bright and clear . I’ve got the 6x40 version on a HW95 Ive had for sometime and it’s been great too.
    I've been very pleasantly surprised whenever I've looked through Mountmasters.. Some belonged to people visiting Boinger Bash events plus two that were sent to me by mistake when I was buying my 2-7 Gold Crown Air King a few years ago. I wouldn't hesitate giving one a home, plus the Hawke Vantage 4x32AO and also both versions of the Vantage AO 2-7 as well as the Airmax.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I've been very pleasantly surprised whenever I've looked through Mountmasters.. Some belonged to people visiting Boinger Bash events plus two that were sent to me by mistake when I was buying my 2-7 Gold Crown Air King a few years ago. I wouldn't hesitate giving one a home, plus the Hawke Vantage 4x32AO and also both versions of the Vantage AO 2-7 as well as the Airmax.
    Absolutely as mentioned got nothing against the mountmaster they are just a bread and butter scope nothing fancy nothing desirable but it’s in the same company as most of the other offerings simply splitting hairs as I don’t think there’s anything hugely desirable on offer with humble modern 4x32’s

Some years back I worked in a gunstore, and had dealers prices on the Mountmasters, so I bought several 4x32 and 3-9x40, plus two 4x40 (you cant imagine the markup on the Mountmaster). They have lived (and some have died) on my springers over the last 12-13 years, so I have a quite good reference point on them. I've noticed the following problems with them: the 4x32's changes POI when you adjust the AO, and the 3-9 has a tendency for the rear bell to come loose.

I have come to prefer second hand japanese 90's tasco's, hakko's and other similar scopes that can be reparallaxed to sensible airgun ranges.
    Too many airguns!

Ok a slightly different angle on this ‘modern’ 4x32

Say you were designing something for the masses what would you actually want to see on a modern 4x32?

Ok I’ll start for me;

*A nice size scope nothing too long but not ultra squished either something fairly compact but enough leg room for twin strap mounts and decent mounting position especially for optimum eye relief.

*Decent quality glass

*Nice quality looking and positive functions.

*Finger adjustable turrets with decent caps

*Nice modern fast focus ocular that is positive and not sloppy

*Side PX or a nice slim AO setup

*Useable reticle which is unobtrusive and simple

*Nice fitting quality flip ups

*Obviously built to withstand recoil

*Unbeatable price sell like hot cakes

4 x 32

Here are some of the best I've tried and have owned.
    Meopta 4 x 32
    Venom 4 x 32 pa.
    Zeiss 4 x 32
    Vixen 4 x 32 pa.
    Simmons WTC 4 X 32
    The venom and the vixen seemed to have come out the same scope factory as a bushmaster and ASI back in the day.
    Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Some years back I worked in a gunstore, and had dealers prices on the Mountmasters, so I bought several 4x32 and 3-9x40, plus two 4x40 (you cant imagine the markup on the Mountmaster). They have lived (and some have died) on my springers over the last 12-13 years, so I have a quite good reference point on them. I've noticed the following problems with them: the 4x32's changes POI when you adjust the AO, and the 3-9 has a tendency for the rear bell to come loose.

I have come to prefer second hand japanese 90's tasco's, hakko's and other similar scopes that can be reparallaxed to sensible airgun ranges.
    Interesting evert,

I’ve had a few other manufactures that have caused POI shift when adjusting the AO which includes mainly Hawke which is probably more to do with being in the budget territory.

I think a lot of the time you really do get what you pay for but in this instance with 4x32’s sadly there’s not much tasty stuff around to really compare with unless wearing rose tinted glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Here are some of the best I've tried and have owned.
    Meopta 4 x 32
    Venom 4 x 32 pa.
    Zeiss 4 x 32
    Vixen 4 x 32 pa.
    Simmons WTC 4 X 32
    The venom and the vixen seemed to have come out the same scope factory as a bushmaster and ASI back in the day.
    Mach 1.5
    I’ll take one of each Paul

Just took a small gamble on a Discovery VT-Z 4x32.

Brand Name: Discovery
    Magnification: 4x32X
    Click Value: 1CLIK= 1/4MOA
    Length: 22.5 cm
    Elevation Adj. Range (MOA): 70
    Weight(net): 270 g
    Windage Adj. Range (MOA): 70
    Coating: Fully Multi-green Coated Optics
    Tube Diameter: 1 in(25.4mm)
    Shock-Proof: YES
    Focal Plane: Second Focal Plane
    Water-Proof: YES
    Fog-Proof: YES

I've went for the Hawke Vantage over the AGS. Book by the cover...

I have some quality ‘fixed fours’ that I love using but budget and vintage stuff still works.
    My most used .22lr wore a seriously abused 3-9x40 Nikko and put literally thousands of rabbits and crows to sleep. My ‘Quigley bucket record’ was shot with an ancient, entry level Hawke 4x32 that I won at a HFT raffle - non a/o adjustable, ‘unfashionable’ duplex reticle and lens coating that would probably be removed by a gust of wind.
    I enjoy my quality optics more, obviously - but don’t write the bargain stuff off. Best part of them being, you can give/throw them away and buy a different one when you’re bored.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I have some quality ‘fixed fours’ that I love using but budget and vintage stuff still works.
    My most used .22lr wore a seriously abused 3-9x40 Nikko and put literally thousands of rabbits and crows to sleep. My ‘Quigley bucket record’ was shot with an ancient, entry level Hawke 4x32 that I won at a HFT raffle - non a/o adjustable, ‘unfashionable’ duplex reticle and lens coating that would probably be removed by a gust of wind.
    I enjoy my quality optics more, obviously - but don’t write the bargain stuff off. Best part of them being, you can give/throw them away and buy a different one when you’re bored.
    Absolutely, Craigy..

A fair few of my scopes are older and much more basic ones. I only own two more "top-endy" scopes - a Burris and a Hawke Panorama (mmmmm, now where did that come from?) and all the rest are more budget items. No issues with any of them.

Remember the dodgy looking scope on the equally manky looking Supersport of mine? Bashed, scraped and abused. No turret caps or lens covers. The elevation adjuster turret hangs out of the top of the scope and looks seriously iffy.. But it works. It has a really basic reticle, single post with a point (think it's some sort of German sniper reticle?) which makes longer range holdover trickier (like at Quigley Bottom and the 75 to 110 yards targets and with the .22 Hobby pellets), but the image is clear, it all works and the awful looks suit the rest of the rifle.. I have a scope waiting in the wings for when it finally expires, but it just keeps working.. And you've certainly taken plenty of those longer range targets with it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!