Thread: Proof Question

Proof Question

I have been offered a rare 1980 American .45 Texas More ( or Morey, only have a photo of advert and not clear ) m/l rifle that the owner brought with him when he moved to England in the the 80's for not a lot of money. He has shot it in the Uk, someone ( at the moment I don't know who ) has told him that it needs to be English proofed to sell it on, it has US proof from the time.
    Do any of you know if this is correct ?
    Thanks for looking,
    Mick.

As far as I know America does not proof guns. They over build them to make sure they are safe.

Any gun sold in this country (not antiques for collections) needs to be proofed. It is illegal to sell an un-proofed gun. (or a gun out of proof).

Guns coming in from Europe have their own proof houses and are legal to sell. Guns coming in that are not proofed have to be proofed first before they can be sold.

You can have the gun proofed. The Proof house will advise you how to do it. They only want the pressure bearing parts. ie the barrel in the case of a muzzleloader.
    Last edited by enfield2band; 09-12-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    ^ This
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Thanks for your replies guys, it turns out it was a RFD that told him this, so he is going to pay for it to be proofed if I buy it with no extra cost to me.
    All the best,
    Mick.