Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Original 75

Original 75

On a bit of a whim, I've bought an original 75. I've wanted a spring target rifle for some time, this came up reasonably close so I bought it.
    Not sure if I paid too much, but too late now anyway.

I know they can have piston seal issues and this one hadn't been shot in 20 years, but it's had maybe 20nshots though it and seems ok, putting out about 6ftlb so it seems ok for now at least.

I don't really know these though so have a couple of questions.
    Is there a good online resource for these I need to binge read?

The questions i have right now are, the rear sight. Seems it has a wheel to loosen it so you can slide it back and fore. It's very tight and won't move. I don't know which was to turn it to loosen it so haven't put full effort into it yet though.
    I assume it had a rubber buffer on the cocking lever? There is some sticky remains and there is now a mark on the action. Seems like it probably had a small buffer.
    The barrel seems to be shrouded in plastic. Are they all like this?
    I thinknive read that they changed thebpuston seal material at some point as they fall apart. Is that true? If so, when? If they did change, how can I date it to find out what seal this has?

It would be nice not to have to strip it but am prepared for the possibility the seals may break down at any time.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Graemevw; 16-01-2022 at 09:47 PM.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

The likelihood is that your 75 piston seals will have been replaced at some point as the originals would not have lasted. One of mine is a late T01 model and it required replacement. However, best keep any eye on things: if power drops off sharply or you start noticing debris emitting stop using it immediately.
    If memory serves its the usual anti clockwise rotation to loosen the wheel. May just require a wee bit penetrating oil. There is a small serrated foot in the center that grips the sight rail.

At the rear of the cylinder, left side just above the line of the stock are 4 numerals giving the date in MM/YY, although this is sometimes absent from very late ones.
    Last edited by Drew451; 18-12-2021 at 07:26 PM.

I have an original 75 with a plastic shroud. Mine is scratched up a fair bit, but I reckon a few passes with different grade papers will bring it back to new.
    Mine also has the buffer tou arevtalking about, although mine looks like hard plastic, that has sheared off.. maybe someone has attempted a replacement at some point. A rubber from a pencil would make a suitable replacement.
    Last edited by thisisdonald; 18-12-2021 at 05:38 PM.
    Donald

My Original 75, serial nr 023562, (01-80) did have a small clear rubber buffer on the side lever that left a witness mark on the cylinder.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Thanks for the info.
    I'll try and release the sight wheel.

So it seems some, but not all, had the buffer?
    Do only some have plastic barrel shrouds?

If so, I'd imagine later models has those changes.

I'll go look for the numbers.

It may have had them replaced, I've no idea. I've not looked too close but the 2 screw on caps seem to have a bit of O ring sticking out, like they have been done up andnthe O ring has got pinched.
    I assume they have O ring seals, I've not really looked closely. I assume though, that means it's probably been apart at some point. Only real reason if it has would be to Do the piston seals.

I'd post pics but it seems I'm not allowed. Maybe if I host them elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    My Original 75, serial nr 023562, (01-80) did have a small clear rubber buffer on the side lever that left a witness mark on the cylinder.
    The remains look like they would have been clear.

Serial number is 023535, date is 01 80.
    When were they produced from/till?

What are they worth?
    This is in good condition, just a mark on the action where the buffer has gone and a few sort of rub dents in the stock if you look hard. Evidence of clamping on the bipod rail.
    Other than that it looks very good indeed.
    I paid £350.
    I suspect that's about mid range? But it shot nicely and I'd have been waiting a while for a cheaper one I bet.

Well that works. Buffer hole/remains

I guess I'm missing the eyepiece rubber from the rear sight. Had a quick look online but not found any in the UK.

Last edited by Graemevw; 18-12-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Damage from cocking lever, the only damage on the action. I'll either touch it up or put a neat little black sticker over it and a new buffer on the arm.

The stock damage. Has to be at the right angle to see it. I wonder if the usual trick of heat and damp will raise them back up, don't want to risk making it worse though. Might just leave it.

It seems they made these from around 1977 till the early 21st century? Is that right? I assumed they were all earlier than that.
    Seems 1980 is quite an early one then.

Did they really change the piston seals from the troublesome ones to better ones?

These caps, I assume that's a O ring seal poking out.
    What's under them? Are the just covers? Can I remove them, 're seat or replace the springs and do them back up?
    Or do they adjust something?

That's what makes me think it's been apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    It seems they made these from around 1977 till the early 21st century? Is that right? I assumed they were all earlier than that.
    Seems 1980 is quite an early one then.

Did they really change the piston seals from the troublesome ones to better ones?

These caps, I assume that's a O ring seal poking out.
    What's under them? Are the just covers? Can I remove them, 're seat or replace the springs and do them back up?
    Or do they adjust something?

That's what makes me think it's been apart.
    Mine has that as well
    .. the good news there is that the caps dont look butchered... if it has been apart. It's been done properly.
    Good luck getting parts.. not much in stock...
    I bought a 75 kit from waffencentregotha but they have nothing in stick just now in terms of a full service kit..
    I'm after a service kit for a 65 and after totting up the bits from chambers, gotha, and maccari, it came to well over a hundred quid..
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Mine has that as well
    .. the good news there is that the caps dont look butchered... if it has been apart. It's been done properly.
    Good luck getting parts.. not much in stock...
    I bought a 75 kit from waffencentregotha but they have nothing in stick just now in terms of a full service kit..
    I'm after a service kit for a 65 and after totting up the bits from chambers, gotha, and maccari, it came to well over a hundred quid..
    Yours has the O rings sticking out?

Hopefully it won't need any parts!
    Shoots great right now, I'll just keep an eye on the seal situation.

It shows no other signs of having been worked on. I just guess Original wouldn't have sent it out with bunched O rings under those caps.

The rear sight clamp really won't come undone!
    Not with just hand power anyway.
    Reluctant to use tools but might have no choice.
    Might try a bit of hair drier warming first.