Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Original 75

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    Yes. I'm sure I saw online somewhere that they don't all have that?
    It wasn't seized, or dirty, or damaged, just VERY tight!
    The sight adjustments are a little stiff, now I can get it off I'll probably strip and clean it.

It's surprising they managed to get the fore sight looking exactly the same as the plastic! I thought the sight was plastic too untill I realised it was cold and the barrel shroud was warm.

Out of interest, these were available as diana, original, and rws right? Who actually made them? Seems diana and original were basically the same company? So why 2 different names?
    Yes, the 75 was available under those, and a few more brand names, used by the manufacturer Mayer and Grammelspacher/ Dianawerk for different markets.

Original was used for the UK as Millard Bros./ Milbro used the Diana trademark post war until the early 80s. Later 75s could be bought as an Original, Diana or RWS here for a time mid 80s on.
    Last edited by Drew451; 19-12-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Ah, I see. Thank you.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

The slots in the diopter wheel are for a special spanner, this usually gets lost by the owners, you could probably fashion something to.gain leverage to loosen it, they really only need to be finger tight ..
    The little rubber bits you see under the circular gear covers are meant to be like that, if you remove the action from the stock you'll see they are fastened to the stock, I think they are just some sort of buffer...
    All the ones I've owned had the plastic shroud with the dull Matt finish...
    Lovely rifles and £350 sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Cartmell View Post
    The slots in the diopter wheel are for a special spanner, this usually gets lost by the owners, you could probably fashion something to.gain leverage to loosen it, they really only need to be finger tight ..
    The little rubber bits you see under the circular gear covers are meant to be like that, if you remove the action from the stock you'll see they are fastened to the stock, I think they are just some sort of buffer...
    All the ones I've owned had the plastic shroud with the dull Matt finish...
    Lovely rifles and £350 sounds about right
    Special spanner! That makes sense.
    It certainly doesn't feel like it needs to be any more than nipped up.
    If anyone has a pic of it, I'd be interested. In fact, I'd be interested to see all/any accessories these came with.
    Did they come in a case? I found some old pics on here of a case, but may have been home made.
    Deffinately think I'll sort some kind of hard case rather than the simple slip it's currently in.

It really is very nice. Im quite smitten with it.
    I briefly shot a fwb 300s a few years ago. Had sort of been keeping an eye open for one now and then, but glad I got the 75 instead.

Found this pic

Lots of stuff to hunt down if I feel the need!

That's the spanner in the picture...
    I sold my 65 with a spanner, they float around on the Bay now & again...
    I've got a spare diopter here off a 75 if you ever feel the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Cartmell View Post
    That's the spanner in the picture...
    I sold my 65 with a spanner, they float around on the Bay now & again...
    I've got a spare diopter here off a 75 if you ever feel the need.
    Saw you said you have an eye cup?
    Not sure I need a while rear sight though. I've seen a couple for sale, they bring enough money on their own don't they!

Spanner looks simple enough to copy. What other functions is it intended for?

For some reason I really want that big "original" sticker

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Original 75

They were first imported into the UK in '77, my wife had the first one in the UK, as she was in the GB squad using an Original 66. She used it to win her class at the British Championships that year held at Cardiff, Sofia Gardens.

It was quite eventful as the action jammed open during one of the qualifying shoots, they did two 40 shots then, and the top 25 then shot in a final. She calmly sat down, while the importers who had a stand there, took out her action and replaced it with one off their stand, into her special short stock, changed over her sights, and special short reach trigger, and she then carried on!

Hers, later had the action changed again in Germany by the factory when it did it again. I think it was problem only on those first pre production prototypes. That solved the issue, and she used it Nationally and Internationally, winning her first International medal as a member of the Ladies GB team, two silvers, at Intershoot in Holland in 1980, her personal best 10 mts score with it, was at an International in Germany, 383 ex 400. It was sold when she changed to a Walther LGR.

It was the only one of her air rifles we sold, and a we spent ten years trying to find it again, only giving up and building a replica three years ago. I fear it had fallen into the clutches of the curse of historic guns, the "must have it as it was made" collector, who would have binned the short stock and special trigger, and removed the meeting stickers, and returned it to standard, totally unaware of what they had, the pre production, first one into the UK!

I still have the original booklet, never to be sold, and if any ones interested, pics of the replica, I can't post them, ask on robin.carter80@ntlworld.com

Have fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    They were first imported into the UK in '77, my wife had the first one in the UK, as she was in the GB squad using an Original 66. She used it to win her class at the British Championships that year held at Cardiff, Sofia Gardens.

It was quite eventful as the action jammed open during one of the qualifying shoots, they did two 40 shots then, and the top 25 then shot in a final. She calmly sat down, while the importers who had a stand there, took out her action and replaced it with one off their stand, into her special short stock, changed over her sights, and special short reach trigger, and she then carried on!

Hers, later had the action changed again in Germany by the factory when it did it again. I think it was problem only on those first pre production prototypes. That solved the issue, and she used it Nationally and Internationally, winning her first International medal as a member of the Ladies GB team, two silvers, at Intershoot in Holland in 1980, her personal best 10 mts score with it, was at an International in Germany, 383 ex 400. It was sold when she changed to a Walther LGR.

It was the only one of her air rifles we sold, and a we spent ten years trying to find it again, only giving up and building a replica three years ago. I fear it had fallen into the clutches of the curse of historic guns, the "must have it as it was made" collector, who would have binned the short stock and special trigger, and removed the meeting stickers, and returned it to standard, totally unaware of what they had, the pre production, first one into the UK!

I still have the original booklet, never to be sold, and if any ones interested, pics of the replica, I can't post them, ask on robin.carter80@ntlworld.com

Have fun
    Robin
    Amazing, thanks for sharing.

If it has been returned to stock it would be a real shame. Like stripping the history out of an old racing car!

Unhappy

Hi protek have the tool on their website for £8 they also have the seals as well,
    Cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by Helm View Post
    Hi protek have the tool on their website for £8 they also have the seals as well,
    Cheers ian
    Thanks. I'm out of touch with spares places these days

Even though i had the rear cap of this and saw it had blue seals, i decided id open it up anyway.
    I bought a new breech seal and new internal seals in case I needed them. I mainly wanted to 're lube it though as it wasnt very smooth cocking.
    Turns out it had a second front piston seal on the rear too.
    I managed to get proper diana blue seals.
    Springs were perfect. Whole gun was fine inside really, if a little on the dry side for my liking.
    New seals, fresh lube and it all went back together just fine.
    A small bit of confusion over the setting of one bolt ment it wouldn't fire, but once I figured that out it was plain sailing.
    These are nowhere near as hard to strip and rebuild as legend has it. Was pretty simple really.

One slightly odd thing was I had sort of noticed it didn't ratchet when cocking. Now it's back together, it does. The ratchet pawl must not have been seated correctly after whoever revealed it last put it back together.

Glad I stripped it as it just feels that bit nicer now, and I have confidence that it's all ok.

I resealed my original 6 pistol last week as a bit of a practice run.

If any other owners want to strip theirs, don't be afraid. It's really not that hard. Just one or two points to note when reassembling. First, you have to move the ratchet pawl out of the way and then remember to put it back after, second, the screw and nut you remove (the only one) can go back in at any point along a slot. This needs to go back in the same place. If it doesn't, it will cock, but not fire, as the main safety pawl won't come free of the front piston. Then you have to work out how to strip a cocked gun to figure out how to de cock the thing!

It should be perfect for shooting in one of the MPL competitions now Graeme

MPL Air RIFLES.

Any UK legal single shot .177 spring powered or Single Stroke Pneumatic air rifle that shots with less than 12ft/lbs power can be used with "open sights" (as supplied by the manufacturer), or with dioptre rear sights and tunnel type front sights (sometimes known as "peep-sights). Telescopic sights or any other form of optical aids (other than prescription type correction lens) are banned.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    It should be perfect for shooting in one of the MPL competitions now Graeme

MPL Air RIFLES.

Any UK legal single shot .177 spring powered or Single Stroke Pneumatic air rifle that shots with less than 12ft/lbs power can be used with "open sights" (as supplied by the manufacturer), or with dioptre rear sights and tunnel type front sights (sometimes known as "peep-sights). Telescopic sights or any other form of optical aids (other than prescription type correction lens) are banned.
    I was going to use either the 75 or the lgr. Both are more accurate than me, but I seem to shoot better with the lgr.
    I'll get some pellets through them both then pick which one I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    I was going to use either the 75 or the lgr. Both are more accurate than me, but I seem to shoot better with the lgr.
    I'll get some pellets through them both then pick which one I use.
    We look forward to seeing your entry come in and having you join us in the MPL.

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.