Thread: Any one using a nitro converted Uberti single action?

Any one using a nitro converted Uberti single action?

What sort of accuracy are you getting?
    How easy are they to load and what ball or bullet are you using - assume a 44.

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting
    I have a uberti 1858 anvil nitro conversion .44, accuracy isn't to bad but there again I aint the best shot, the general thing .457 ball with blue dot is the more accurate load , I tend to use .454 simply because I have a load of them which I use with my euro arms Rodgers & Spencer .44 black powder
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

I have both a Ruger Old Army and an Anvil (Uberti) Remington 1858 NMA converted to use nitro powder and 209 shotgun primers. I use the Remington more as it is identical in its handling to my conventional Uberti Remington 1858 BP revolver. I find the Ruger a bit heavy for one handed precision shooting, but the Remington is ideal and both shoot with equal accuracy at 25 yds. The Avil conversion can also loaded on-gun as with the BP version with no need for a separate loading press. Loading these revolvers is easy and shotgun primers are more reliable and less fiddly to fit on a chilly day. Although the actual shooting experience with nitro is much quieter and less smokey, the clean up afterwards is much quicker and can safely be left until convenient. Another advantage is that many indoor clubs won't allow the use of BP so with a nitro conversion you have the ability to shoot indoors when outside conditions may make this less inviting. I use the recommended higher 4.3 grns of Herco, CCI 209 primers and a .454 pure lead round ball. This equates to 15grns of Hodgdon 777, with the same .454 ball and percussion caps in my BP revolver. I also use a lubricated wad with the BP revolver which is not required with the smokeless conversion. The Classic Anvil conversion doesn't have a trapped firing pin in the backplate, so removal of the cylinder without jettisoning the firing pin and spring can be tricky until you get the knack. There is now an Anvil Remington model called the Renegade which has the firing pin attached to the hammer making cylinder removal quicker, but I prefer the Classic version and as previously mentioned, field stripping isn't a problem once you become familiar with it. I believe Anvil have temporarily suspended production at the moment, but well worth contacting them if you are interested in obtaining one of these excellent conversions. I also looked at the Westlake Alpha conversion which is based on a modern D/A revolver shooting .38 Spl wadcutters, but much preferred the Anvil Remington as it mirrors my conventional BP revolver giving me the best of both worlds.

Brian

I recently bought the BP Uberti SAA. To be fair, I've only shot it twice so far but haven't manged to place any two shots in vaguely the same place yet. My plan was to try a range of loads when I get time. Be interested to know how the nitro version shoots.

Steve.

[QUOTE=steve medlock;8099656]I recently bought the BP Uberti SAA. To be fair, I've only shot it twice so far but haven't manged to place any two shots in vaguely the same place yet. My plan was to try a range of loads when I get time. Be interested to know how the nitro version shoots.

Steve.[/QUOTE

Hi Steve,

I doubt a nitro version of any BP revolver would shoot more accurately than the BP variant no matter what the model. The attraction lies in the necessity for less steps when loading and the much reduced cleaning regime. The longer barrel and drift adjustable foresight on the Uberti Remington make it a better proposition in the accuracy stakes than the Colt SAA.
    It's nice to have both though as you would really miss noise, smell and smoke associated with the BP experience provided it's on a nice day with plenty of time to clean the gun almost immediately after use.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    I recently bought the BP Uberti SAA. To be fair, I've only shot it twice so far but haven't manged to place any two shots in vaguely the same place yet. My plan was to try a range of loads when I get time. Be interested to know how the nitro version shoots.

Steve.
    I ve had a similar experience with a Ruger Old Army I've just bought, so can sympathize. I am running it on 777, but even a 15 to 20 grain charge is a bit smokey indoors.

I am thinking of trying the shotgun primer nipple conversation, and using a much smaller charge of 777. Anyone had any experience of this?

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    I ve had a similar experience with a Ruger Old Army I've just bought, so can sympathize. I am running it on 777, but even a 15 to 20 grain charge is a bit smokey indoors.

I am thinking of trying the shotgun primer nipple conversation, and using a much smaller charge of 777. Anyone had any experience of this?
    ive stopped using swiss bp indoors due to smoke but 777 is just as bad lol

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post

The club I use prohibits the use of both BP and BP substitutes meaning that I needed at least one nitro converted revolver to shoot indoors. I know of at least one shooter who trialled the use of replacement nipples for his Ruger which accommodate 209 shotgun without success. My nitro converted Ruger Old Army shoots accurately with either 15 grns of Hodgdon 777 or 4.3grns of Herco smokeless powder. This lighter 777 charge is as low as I would want go in the heavy framed Ruger and feels quite weak but still produces sub four inch groups at 25 yds. If I were restricted to one muzzle loading revolver, it would be a Ruger Old Army converted to use smokeless powder meaning I could shoot it at indoor or outdoor ranges and with BP, BP substitute or smokeless powder to cover all the bases.

Brian

I have a 51/2" one. Brilliant revolver. Easy to load, no faffing about with fillers or lube. I Use Herco with the supplied dispenser
    and a .457" ball lubed with Alox. Shot gun primers are far easier to use than No11 primers. Accuracy is ok, but not fantastic
    although i can keep most shots in the black on a PL12 target at 20 yards single handed. Strip down twice a year to clean properly
    but spray only the moving bits with lube after each use.
    Now the negatives. Front sight is very thin so I coat mine with tippex or a thin sliver of white tape. Count your shots, if you
    double strike a primer they are harder to eject. Other than that I recommend getting one. Iv had mine for a few years now and
    its getting nicer to use with age. Great fun to shoot and easy to use.!!