Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: posting air weapons ?

posting air weapons ?

Now ive hit the 4 score decided to sell my air pistols hopefully collectable but, whats the position on posting with Royal Mail, heard some tales about them being conviscated so could be pick up only, any suggestions please

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    They only get confiscated if you try and pull a fast one and not send them PF48.
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

i send royal mail special delivery about the same price as parcel force 48 but arrive quicker

You can send air pistols royal mail special delivery usually... because of the size and weight, some might argue, a better service than pf48
    Donald

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    You can send air pistols royal mail special delivery usually... because of the size and weight, some might argue, a better service than pf48
    Well, quite.
    I was referring to sending them 2nd class and declaring them as "paper punching equipment"
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Royal Mail will carry airguns via Tracked 48. I described the last one I sent as a "tack driver", but you may be better off being honest, as there is no issue with sending them using that service - they are listed in the terms and conditions for T48 on the RM website. No pressurised cylinders though (PCPs etc.), unless empty.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...detail/a_id/96

Do not send co2 in the parcel ( if it a co2) not even an empty one in the pistol as it could go on a one way trip to Belfast .

Ask for it to be sent surface post only.

They more often than not get confiscated due to people sending them incorrectly . Like Co2 still in the pistol or co2 capsules in the packaging.

I believe the person who checks them is part time so that is why it takes a while to get checks done and claims to try and get them get back held up.
    Last edited by bighit; 22-12-2021 at 04:47 PM.

What about sending to someone in Scotland, where an air weapon permit is required?

I believe you must send to an RFD, but not sure on this. It can not be the onus of the sender in England to check someone in Scotland has a permit when they themselves don't have a permit and operate under a different set of rules.... can it?

I would say the onus is on the buyer... a lot of people who sell on here state that anyone buying from them must ensure they are of age and are legally able to own air weapons.
    Put it this way, if you were to sell to someone in england, you wouldnt check if they had a police ban on owning airguns, or even, dare I say it, if they person is even aged to own or buy one.
    Donald

Last edited by Biker_Bob; 25-12-2021 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Deleted my thoughts..

As said previously no full or empty co2
    Minimum Royal mail signed for insured up to £50, Royal mail tracked 48 insured up to £100 or special delivery insured up to £500, keeping the the parcel under 2kg keeps the price down a fair bit.

These above are all sub 600mm long, over that your looking at parcel force 48, insured up to £100

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    As you're in a fairly central location, try advertising them as collection only. Maybe post any cheaper ones that are within the insurance payout price range.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Do not send co2 in the parcel ( if it a co2) not even an empty one in the pistol as it could go on a one way trip to Belfast .

Ask for it to be sent surface post only.

They more often than not get confiscated due to people sending them incorrectly . Like Co2 still in the pistol or co2 capsules in the packaging.

I believe the person who checks them is part time so that is why it takes a while to get checks done and claims to try and get them get back held up.
    I had one go missing for 5 months, before they discovered it had been destroyed in Belfast, and the excuse for no return was a pathetic "you didn't put return address on box" which I did, at 50 od yrs of age it was not the first parcel id posted.....

Do you need to specify 'surface mail' or 'by road' on RM Special Delivery service if there is a chance that it could be flown?

For clarity this is an airpistol going from Kent to Durham

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Do you need to specify 'surface mail' or 'by road' on RM Special Delivery service if there is a chance that it could be flown?

For clarity this is an airpistol going from Kent to Durham
    I've never had to specify that. Sent lots of air pistols RMSD, last one a month ago. I declared it correctly as a "low powered air pistol". I'd come prepared with a printout of RM's restricted goods leaflet just in case, but after that second's pause from the person behind the desk, during which you draw the metaphorical deep breath, there was no issue. There's always the risk if you get a new person who doesn't know the score, which is why it helps to go able to quote chapter and verse.

The only real issue is the size limits which rule out most air rifles, leaving PF48 the only option and under that service airguns don't qualify for enhanced compensation.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius