Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: posting air weapons ?

Thanks Adam

I'm happy with the RM SD T&Cs and have not had an issue in the past. I do seem to remember that I had read a post on a forum recently, that scanners used at airports were picking up airguns and they were being sent off for testing / verification to Belfast or where ever they now do the testing. Hence the 'surface mail'

Mark

I'd assume (dangerous I know) that when you declare "it's an air pistol" the post office should know to send it via the appropriate transport. I'm not saying the doomsday "shipping off to Belfast for examination then destruction" scenario can't happen, but I suspect when it has it's been when the contents have been declared as something else vague and innocuous.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    They only get confiscated if you try and pull a fast one and not send them PF48.
    Rubbish...Read their terms and conditions

Royal Mail 1st class completely legal.

They only get confiscated if you send pressure vessels (air cylinders or CO2)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Do you need to specify 'surface mail' or 'by road' on RM Special Delivery service if there is a chance that it could be flown?

For clarity this is an airpistol going from Kent to Durham
    YES,
    Special delivery routinely fly's, and is routinely X ray'd, the x-ray will show "a pistol" it will be refused flight & because it's a "gun" it WILL be sent to Belfast for inspection.

While not required by the rules, if I post an air gun I include inside the box a signed letter stating it is a UK legal sub 12/6fpe air rifle/pistol empty & unloaded with both seller & buyer details.

Strangely Post Office workers do not know every single posting rule for Royal Mail, and as their rules state, it is the senders responsibility to ensure all rules are met,

Air guns can be sent 1st class or RMSD by ROYAL MAIL, if they are too big for ROYAL MAIL they can be sent with PARCELFORCE,

If sent with PARCELFORCE they must be sent PF48, no other PARCELFORCE service is allowed.

Not exactly difficult rules to follow.

Just to finish off this thread. Posted RMSD on Friday 13th and marked 'surface mail only'. Inside was a declaration stating sub 6fpe air pistol - unload and no gas signed and phone number with address.

Arrived mid morning on Monday 16th with happy buyer

Over the years, up to and including last week, I've sent air pistols by RMSD the length and breadth of the country, even to Scotland, and never once marked the outer packaging with the contents of the parcel, only a senders name and address label, and all have arrived without delay.
    I mark anything sent by PF48 Express as 'Sporting Goods' in the appropriate box, as they ask for this information.

Has anyone found a reliable way of posting air pistols out of the country? My FWB65 is still in England, and I want to get it over here to Czech Republic.

Matt

I always use parcelforce no.problems