Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did the Airgun Bulletin Board System actually work before the internet?

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!

How did the Airgun Bulletin Board System actually work before the internet?

Given its name I suppose it was a BBS.

Memory is fading as to how those things worked. How did they work? Someone would have a personal computer with modem attached which could be phoned up. The computer would send out the current contents of the 'board', and then accept contributions to be 'pinned' to the board for others to recieve at their next call to that modem and the computer.

How did it start? When did it start? Who started it?

Does this need to be in non-airgun?
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Given its name I suppose it was a BBS.

Memory is fading as to how those things worked. How did they work? Someone would have a personal computer with modem attached which could be phoned up. The computer would send out the current contents of the 'board', and then accept contributions to be 'pinned' to the board for others to recieve at their next call to that modem and the computer.

How did it start? When did it start? Who started it?

Does this need to be in non-airgun?
    You would use a modem and dial into a BBS server
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    You would use a modem and dial into a BBS server

those were the days..
    fbing..fbing... sceeeeee....fwwwww....fbing....

was great when those funky USR modems could give 56k on a phone line
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Happy days . Obviously you wouldn't have a web browser, so you'd load a program like Qmodem or Procomm to dial up your BBS of choice, at a massive 2400baud or so, set the parity, data bits, stop bits and if it supported ANSI you would even get different coloured characters and some block graphics.

Related to the modem noises, I once convinced a workmate that my Dad could whistle a picture of a boat to a fax machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post

Related to the modem noises, I once convinced a workmate that my Dad could whistle a picture of a boat to a fax machine.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣 I love that!!!
    Donald

Happy days . Obviously you wouldn't have a web browser, so you'd load a program like Qmodem or Procomm to dial up your BBS of choice, at a massive 2400baud or so, set the parity, data bits, stop bits and if it supported ANSI you would even get different coloured characters and some block graphics.

Luxury. I started at 300bps.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    fbing..fbing... sceeeeee....fwwwww....fbing....
    Well described
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

And I remember the USB modems leading the charge, everyone would upgrade their internal or external modem as soon as they released a new version, no firmware upgrades in those days

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Luxury. I started at 300bps.
    I still have a working Tandy TRS80 portable with clip on speaker and microphone. The progress has been astounding.

https://blog.adafruit.com/2015/02/08...ive-radioshack

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    I still have a working Tandy TRS80 portable with clip on speaker and microphone. The progress has been astounding.

https://blog.adafruit.com/2015/02/08...ive-radioshack
    Do you still speak Zilog? At one time I was bilingual, speaking both 6502 (Atom) and Z80 (TRS80 without a display). Not now. Did some 12C508A assembler 15-20 years ago -that is time spent I'll never get back - but the product did sell.

Never again.

Who were the early people on this BBS? When did it start?
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

I'll just get my coat. I have no idea what you are talking about despite being 49!
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    I'll just get my coat. I have no idea what you are talking about despite being 49!
    It's a bit unlike the 60s. You'd have to have been there to understand.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

That old screeching modem is the sound I have in both ears, but, loud and a bit higher pitched along with a swooching sound included. Yes, tinnitus. For over twenty years, it never ceases for one moment, conversation, especially on a telephone is very difficult. Listening to radio the same, television is a bit of hit or miss with sub-titles if present, on moving scenes with light or white background merging with white text, or the text appear so brief it is difficult to read!

I started on 300 baud and one hour’s access on a Sunday cost a quid. That was my lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Do you still speak Zilog?
    ZEAP on the NASCOM.

Can't remember a bit of it.