Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuned springers

Tuned springers

Hi all, just wondering if there's anyone tuning top end spring guns, such as Weirauch etc, in my youth I used to drool over such guns as the Venom / Lazerglide HW 80'S and 77's, just wondering I n the days of high tech PCP's if there's a place for beautifully tuned springers?
    ATB Jase.

Yes. Lyn lewington springs to mind @venoman on here I think.

There are tuning kits available to diy.
    Tinbum tuning and Welsh willy.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Have a look at Lost Volume over on Facecloth.

Jerry

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I think the only one that really fits the bill is the top end stuff Paul Short does.

There's quite a few good springer men,Atb mick

Thanks for the replies lads, might go down the d.i.y route, any recommended kits ????

Quote Originally Posted by nearlygotit View Post
    Thanks for the replies lads, might go down the d.i.y route, any recommended kits ????
    TBT .
    Lyn ( venoman) ARC Tuning
    Wonky Donkey
    Welsh Willy

Just a few of the many out there.

Interesting info., for me. What's it's main use? Break barrel or underlever? Calibre? Budget?

It's going to be a .22 cal for hunting ,underlever preferred although I'm not opposed to a break barrel and as for budget it all depends on what's offered for X amount.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    It's going to be a .22 cal for hunting ,underlever preferred although I'm not opposed to a break barrel and as for budget it all depends on what's offered for X amount.

Personally I prefer a break barrel for hunting, (faster loading, lighter) but if you see a bargain grab it!

Always a place for a well tuned and tuned springer; I have a TX200 full length in .177 that started off with a Tinbum spring guide and short stroke piston, but is now fitted with a sleeveless piston and is a dream - raggedy touching hole groups out to 45yds, all I want to do, and at the limit of my (preferred) low mag scope

Out the box they are a fantastic rifle, with enough simple home tunes available and numerous professional options (most of which are still available as a DIY fit)

Maybe a TX200HC to give you the option of a silencer

HW97K is equally good, the crowd will be split 50/50 between the two rifles

Just about to treat myself to a HW95K to add a break barrel to my collection, and that would also fit your requirements

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Personally I prefer a break barrel for hunting, (faster loading, lighter) but if you see a bargain grab it!
    As Mr Tinbum says, most people might be more tempted to choose a break barrel for hunting to the lighter weight, ease of portability and ease of loading. But if the weight of one of the better underlevers isn't a negative for you, they'll be superb. If choosing new I'd be looking to choose from the Weihrauch HW99, 95, 35, 80, 77 and 97 and the Air Arms TX200 / HC. If you were looking at used rifles, you'll have a much wider choice of rifles to go at. All of the above will be easy to work on and respond well to a home tune. Enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The inherent accuracy of the 77, 97, TX200 and Prosport are so high it is often a matter of a tune giving a nicer 'feel' on releasing a shot rather than something that will change your group size, unless you are right at the top of the skill curve.

I think a simple deburr, polish and a Tin Bum tuning kit with sparing lubrication is an excellent and inexpensive way to get your rifle running beautifully.

There is a point of diminishing returns that arrives fairly soon after that. It sounds like you need a HW95K, so you can short-stroke that a little with a Tin Bum nose extenstion!

You might want to spend the money on good optics, a nice trigger blade or a stock that fits you if you want to shoot more accurately, rather than spend money on an expensive re-engineering tune. I'm not against them, I just can't tell the difference sometimes because I just don't have that degree of resolution as a shooter.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 28-12-2021 at 08:42 PM.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Some wine experts claim that the true connoisseur appreciates red wine first, then white wine, and finally back to red. Could red wine be springers and white wine PCP's ?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    Some wine experts claim that the true connoisseur appreciates red wine first, then white wine, and finally back to red. Could red wine be springers and white wine PCP's ?
    You may have a point there. Although some people, knowing only PCPs and having never used open sights, appear to have been raised on own-brand Cola. If presented with say, an Anschutz 335, they would no more appreciate it than the hoi polloi would a '53 Margaux.