Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuned springers

In keeping with the original question... 'high end tuning'
    I dont know of anyone really in the uk doing the whole works.. the venom rifles not only had internal tunes, but a bespoke silencer and stock...
    To mind paul watts (springgunning.com) in the usa is the only person I can think of doing the whole shebang.

I could be wrong...
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I dont know of anyone really in the uk doing the whole works.. the venom rifles not only had internal tunes, but a bespoke silencer and stock...
    To mind paul watts (springgunning.com) in the usa is the only person I can think of doing the whole shebang.

I could be wrong...
    Mid counties blacking may do it . They do the internals and engaving( CNC) . Not sure about stocks.

https://midcountiesblacking.co.uk/venom-customs/

Nothing to do with Venom of old.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post

I could be wrong...
    Nowadays you'd be probably looking at a joint venture - Paul Short, Lyn Lewington, Tony Wall for the tune followed by a Warren Edwards / Tom Davies / Custom Stocks stock with finishing touches by Craig Petty and Shaun at ISP for the re-blue.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    Some wine experts claim that the true connoisseur appreciates red wine first, then white wine, and finally back to red. Could red wine be springers and white wine PCP's ?
    I'm not a wine drinker, but can appreciate the comparison
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    You may have a point there. Although some people, knowing only PCPs and having never used open sights, appear to have been raised on own-brand Cola. If presented with say, an Anschutz 335, they would no more appreciate it than the hoi polloi would a '53 Margaux.
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The inherent accuracy of the 77, 97, TX200 and Prosport are so high it is often a matter of a tune giving a nicer 'feel' on releasing a shot rather than something that will change your group size, unless you are right at the top of the skill curve.

I think a simple deburr, polish and a Tin Bum tuning kit with sparing lubrication is an excellent and inexpensive way to get your rifle running beautifully.

There is a point of diminishing returns that arrives fairly soon after that. It sounds like you need a HW95K, so you can short-stroke that a little with a Tin Bum nose extenstion!

You might want to spend the money on good optics, a nice trigger blade or a stock that fits you if you want to shoot more accurately, rather than spend money on an expensive re-engineering tune. I'm not against them, I just can't tell the difference sometimes because I just don't have that degree of resolution as a shooter.
    Yep, and getting the practice in and becoming "at one" with your rifle will yield the best results.

I’ve heard some very decent things about LSD (liquid steel designs) think it’s Geoff or Jeff have shot a couple of his Tooned rifles before and thought they were pretty damn good.

Not actually owned one or actually used his services yet but thought it might be another name in the hat to consider

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I think the only one that really fits the bill is the top end stuff Paul Short does.
    Paul Short delivered amazing work on my as-new HW97KT:

Stage 4 Tune and Trigger Tune
    - Titanium, glided Piston
    - Fixed Stainless Spring Guide
    - Titan Mainspring to 11.3 ft/lbs
    - New seals
    - Jewelled Comp Tube
    - Trigger polished and adjusted

Before the rifle was a nightmare - especially as it was nearly new. It twanged like hell and was generally an unpleasant experience firing it. Compared to the vanilla TX200HC, it was pretty bad. Now, the rifle is transformed. It feels around 40 per cent ‘better’ than the TX ... super smooth and quiet. Tuned to 11.3ft/lbs with Air Arms Field .22

Any decent professional tuner will work wonders on a spring rifle … I just wish they came out of the German factory slightly better prepared.
    Last edited by C3PO_1; 29-12-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    I’ve heard some very decent things about LSD (liquid steel designs) think it’s Geoff or Jeff have shot a couple of his Tooned rifles before and thought they were pretty damn good.

Not actually owned one or actually used his services yet but thought it might be another name in the hat to consider
    No first hand experience of his work, Nick, but I've heard good things.

And, like a plonker, forgot to mention NickG and Tony Leach (ex Bigtoe on here) earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by C3PO_1 View Post
    Paul Short delivered amazing work on my as-new HW97KT:

Stage 4 Tune and Trigger Tune
    - Titanium, glided Piston
    - Fixed Stainless Spring Guide
    - Titan Mainspring to 11.3 ft/lbs
    - New seals
    - Jewelled Comp Tube
    - Trigger polished and adjusted

Before the rifle was a nightmare - especially as it was nearly new. It twanged like hell and was generally an unpleasant experience firing it. Compared to the vanilla TX200HC, it was pretty bad. Now, the rifle is transformed. It feels around 40 per cent ‘better’ than the TX ... super smooth and quiet. Tuned to 11.3ft/lbs with Air Arms Field .22

Any decent professional tuner will work wonders on a spring rifle … I just wish they came out of the German factory slightly better prepared.
    That sounds lovely. And if will, no doubt, shoot beautifully and deliver much pride and feel-good factor.

But with a fair few HWs, all they need to improve the manners sufficiency for many shooters is fitting some bespoke guides and a smidge of hand finishing and assembly / lubrication. Twenty odd quids' worth of TbT Delrin guides utterly transform many rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    No first hand experience of his work, Nick, but I've heard good things.

And, like a plonker, forgot to mention NickG and Tony Leach (ex Bigtoe on here) earlier.
    Think it’s fair to say Tone there are some excellent options nowadays for all things that go boing and not forgetting phut

Some extremely talented folks around and I think some folks forget it’s not just shiny new bolt on bits it’s the knowledge and years of experience with knowing what does and doesn’t work especially for each individual application etc.

I’m a tad bored with so called 5mins tuners or even tuners that slate others work as usually the hidden agendas are very clear to see but to me it seems there’s a lot of confusion around on shooting forums with what exactly is a ‘tuned springer’ but that’s another debate

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Buy a Whiscombe. The springer that don't need a tune.

TX

Neither does my TX just fine out of the box.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    Neither does my TX just fine out of the box.
    Standard TX = all the good Venom ideas in a factory gun.