Thread: Westlake Cylinder Nitro Conversion Problem

Westlake Cylinder Nitro Conversion Problem

I have here a Pedersoli 1858 B/P revolver with a Westlake stainless Nitro converted cylinder. Five of the 6 firing pins in the cylinder appear to be stuck in their bushings and the only one that moves doesn't move freely so does anyone know how to get the pins out please so I can give it all a good clean ? It looks like the pin bushings are pressed in so I'm guessing one would have to carefully push them out with a small brass drift by tapping the actual pin from the front, I can't see another way of doing it. Also, doe anyone know if these pins should be spring loaded or not as the one that moves is not. Thanks...
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

could you not use some lube spray on them and gently tap them with a small punch to free them ? or place the part in an ultrasonic cleaner for a few sessions?

Maybe but as I've just bought the gun in this condition I want to get the things out so I can see what's going on. I know it's probably just a buildup of crud but I need to satisfy myself that the previous owner just couldn't be bothered to clean the backplate after a session, if that's what your supposed to do, or whether the bushings have worn out. The gun itself is great, doesn't seem to have done much work and it was clean, clean as a whistle when I bought it so this backplate business is a bit odd. I still don't know if the pins should be spring loaded or not, I'm guessing they should..

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Maybe but as I've just bought the gun in this condition I want to get the things out so I can see what's going on. I know it's probably just a buildup of crud but I need to satisfy myself that the previous owner just couldn't be bothered to clean the backplate after a session, if that's what your supposed to do, or whether the bushings have worn out. The gun itself is great, doesn't seem to have done much work and it was clean, clean as a whistle when I bought it so this backplate business is a bit odd. I still don't know if the pins should be spring loaded or not, I'm guessing they should..
    can you not phone alan up and ask for advice ?
    personally i think its just blow back from ill fitting shotgun primers as some dont seat as good as other makes.....needs to be flush etc.
    bung plate in ultrasonic and dry thoroughly
    Last edited by loiner1965; 30-12-2021 at 09:48 PM.

I think a thorough soak in a suitable solvent solution should be your first step... once the other pins are freed up you should know whether they are spring loaded or not.. after that, if you are still none the wider, phone the man
    Donald

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried all the above with no luck so spoke to Alan and have sent the backplate to him. I was hoping this could be sorted here without having to send it off. I didn't ring Alan at first as I knew he would just say send the backplate to him. Anyway, it now gives me an excuse to go up to Westlake Engineering and see a few of his latest creations.